Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ghostprince
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2017, 6:00 am

I didn't know whether to post this in the general, in the parents' section or here.

If it's too long go straight to the 4 questions below.

I don't want to state or ask if there is a scientifically/statistically proven link between having Aspergers and having a cluster B (narcissistic, histrionic, antisocial, borderline) personality disorder. Since only a few nt people fall into this category and neurodiversity is, well, just a diversity, there's no reason why there should be a link.

But some things in my family (and what some users recall about their own families here) keep giving me doubts.

Yesterday my 8 year nephew was diagnosed with a 'mild form of autism' and I thought here we go again.
All my family's paternal side is made of people everybody considers 'particular', but the only ones with an autism diagnosis are me and now my nephew. Some of the others went to therapy when this category was not so well known, and some others have never even seen a therapist.

While I can be considered a strange person and my paternal cousins are poster boys for Aspergers (I wonder if they ever questioned themselves about this topic) we are overall soft, reserved personality and we wouldn't hurt a fly.

My father and my brother, on the other hand... I'll make this quick and if you want to make questions I'll answer. They're the most exploitative, irresponsible, unfair people I've ever met in my life. What brings me to think they have a personality disorder and aren't just jerks, is 1) that they live in a world of their own which often contradicts facts 2) they are "jerks" even when they better not because it doesn't serve their purposes at all, as if it was their only way to deal with the outside world. Even if my father's social/skills are somewhat intermittent and he's somewhat naive if compared to other more skilled manipulators I've met, I wouldn't create so much drama because it would be exhausting to me. So are they proficient in skills I have problems with?

They say autism is genetic.What I see is a pattern of abuse which created sometimes autistic personalities, and sometimes more problematic personalities. My grandfather abused my father who abused both my brother and me. My father's sister married an abusive man who locked my cousins in the storage room when they didn't get the highest marks and such. I've seen my brother mistreat my nephew in public so I don't know what happens when nobody's there.

This gives me many questions.

1. is it true that people with mild autism or Aspergers can never have cluster B personalities? Much has been done to distance autistic people from people with personality disorders, because so many neourotypicals find it easier to assume we just don't care about their feelings or social rules. But "autistic people generally are concerned about your emotions, they just lack theory of mind" is just one step away from "no autistic people has ever had a cluster B personality ever" and I have my doubts.

2. is it true that people with mild autism or Aspergers can never be jerks? This is more of a rhetoric questions maybe. We're so busy making it clear that we are not demons, that we end up portraying ourselves as little angels fallen from heaven when we are in fact just people and some of us might be both autistic and jerks.

3. can abuse consequences sometimes come out as mild autism or Aspergers? Mild autism and Aspergers are in fact a list of traits who don't point to a clear cause, a diagnosis without a clear etiology, so from a scientific point of view the structure is very weak, and it puts together very different people with very different life paths and very different ways to experience the traits they should have in common. I sometimes wonder if my ease and preference for the literal meaning of words and straightforwardness is the result of my upbringing in a family where every statement had a second, third, fourth meaning I was never aware of.
Many of you recall terrible experiences with your families. Have you ever wondered if you've been made aspergic or autistic, rather than born so?

4. can mild autism or Aspergers come out as the result of upbringing by someone with a cluster B personality?
This sounds really absurd even to me but I admit I have this doubt. If there are environmental causes then could this be one? Does this mean environment can influence neurology? Probably yes but I'm completely ignorant about this so if you want to explain I'd be happy to learn something new.

It's possible that all these questions can be reduced to the usual big question ("why me?") no discipline can answer, but it can be an interesting issue nevertheless.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Oct 2017, 8:25 am

ghostprince wrote:
1. is it true that people with mild autism or Aspergers can never have cluster B personalities? Much has been done to distance autistic people from people with personality disorders, because so many neourotypicals find it easier to assume we just don't care about their feelings or social rules. But "autistic people generally are concerned about your emotions, they just lack theory of mind" is just one step away from "no autistic people has ever had a cluster B personality ever" and I have my doubts.

The topic requires more research. I don't see why those disorders had to rule out each other - but I met people misdiagnosed with cluster B before obtaining the right diagnoses of autism, so the research would be hard to conduct.

ghostprince wrote:
2. is it true that people with mild autism or Aspergers can never be jerks? This is more of a rhetoric questions maybe. We're so busy making it clear that we are not demons, that we end up portraying ourselves as little angels fallen from heaven when we are in fact just people and some of us might be both autistic and jerks.

No. Being autistic does not rule out being a jerk. And definitely it does not exclude acting like a jerk.

ghostprince wrote:
3. can abuse consequences sometimes come out as mild autism or Aspergers? Mild autism and Aspergers are in fact a list of traits who don't point to a clear cause, a diagnosis without a clear etiology, so from a scientific point of view the structure is very weak, and it puts together very different people with very different life paths and very different ways to experience the traits they should have in common. I sometimes wonder if my ease and preference for the literal meaning of words and straightforwardness is the result of my upbringing in a family where every statement had a second, third, fourth meaning I was never aware of.
Many of you recall terrible experiences with your families. Have you ever wondered if you've been made aspergic or autistic, rather than born so?

AFAIK you can't be made autistic by abusive upbringing but some kind of abuse can produce autistic-like behaviors ("hospitalism", adjustment disorders). But, unlike autism, they can be actually cured with right kind of intervention.
In my personal case, my autism was quite obviously the cause of my traumas (being constantly misunderstood, sensory torture, rejection, bullying at school...), not an effect of them.

ghostprince wrote:
4. can mild autism or Aspergers come out as the result of upbringing by someone with a cluster B personality?
This sounds really absurd even to me but I admit I have this doubt. If there are environmental causes then could this be one? Does this mean environment can influence neurology? Probably yes but I'm completely ignorant about this so if you want to explain I'd be happy to learn something new.

A lot to research for neurologists. I suspect the answer is "no" but would be glad if someone provided solid, scientific facts about it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 9:07 am

ghostprince wrote:
1. is it true that people with mild autism or Aspergers can never have cluster B personalities?

I wouldn't say "never" but if their problems dealing with people derive from this it could be a bar to an ASD diagnosis as it requires that your issues are not sue to some other condition. In other words having the symptoms doesn't mean you have the condition.

ghostprince wrote:
2. is it true that people with mild autism or Aspergers can never be jerks?

I'm a massive jerk, so no.

ghostprince wrote:
3. can abuse consequences sometimes come out as mild autism or Aspergers?

While abuse may well result in some ASD like behaviour it's not going to result in all symptoms, also remember that AS is a developmental disorder and abuse isn't going to change someone's past.

ghostprince wrote:

Again unlikely.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 11:08 am

Tony Attwood has been pointing out that there is a pattern of people with ASD marrying very caring people with excellent social skills, so you end up with these family trees that present both autistics and people with amazing natural social skills, sometimes as siblings.

Suppose the same thing was true for autistics and cluster B types? It's no secret that in particular a lot of autistic women end up in bad relationships.

cuddle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2017, 2:09 am

1. is it true that people with mild autism or Aspergers can never have cluster B personalities?

I have histrionic personality disorder. Confirmed by three therapists. One is a sex therapist and another is PhD level and specializes in autism. All three of them agree that I'm autistic also. I have ASD(Type 2) to be more specific. But the thing is most of cluster B is just an expression of trauma. Cluster B should be classified as sub categories of PTSD in my (very unprofessional) opinion.

Lol... I'm histrionic... case closed. :P

I believe I was born autistic. I also believe that I was made histrionic. Autism feels like me being me. My histrionic feels just like a panic disorder and when it gets to bad it's literally a panic attack. My PTSD does make my autism symptoms worse though.

I think Cluster B tend to turn there own children into Cluster B. My mother is a narcissist and my father... well... my father has aspergers, but at the same time is a pedophile and a psychopath. My father's mother I'm pretty sure had autism and his father was a pedophile, con-man and a narcissist. This resulted into my father being who he is. Which of course resulted in me being Autistic and cluster B. I'm just really glad I ended up with histrionic as my PD and not narcissism. Also I avoided being a pedophile. Though I do have a thing for much older men. At least it's better to go in that direction.

To wrap up, I think a lot of this stems from autistics getting preyed upon by people with cluster B. Just the nature of the beast. Cluster B tend to be predators like and, well, autistics are easy prey. Every long turn relationship I've ever been in has been with a narcissist. (Not saying I was perfect in though relationships either.)

ghostprince
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2017, 11:13 am

So far two things come to my mind.

1. the border between causes and consequences of behavioral patterns is often blurred, especially regarding past or other people's experiences, and this is a big problem.

2. To think that, after 4 years of therapy, I look more autistic than ever, makes me feel better. I was presentable and charming 5-6 years ago because I was trained like a dog to be what was expected of me, while inside I thought I was a monster for having a personality of my own and needs and flaws, I was ashamed to death that I existed.
To think of it, I barely missed becoming like my father, whatever he is.
I'm slowly learning to be my real weird broken self. Sometimes inner peace looks weird on the outside but it's ok.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 3:00 am

I have autism and BPD, which is a cluster B. I should mention different doctors challenge different diagnosis.

IWant2Believe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2017, 11:53 am

A psychiatrist at one of the rehabs I went to tried to tell me he thought I had Histrionic Personality Disorder. The reason the topic came about was that I was telling him how my mother was once diagnosed with BPD and how I believe my father to have NPD (although he has never been diagnosed and never will be). And he told me that if both my parents had a Cluster B Personality Disorder, it was highly likely that I also had one. I think he was afraid to tell me that he thought I was Borderline, so he couched it as Histrionic being "The less bad one" (b.s.). Although I have not yet been diagnosed with ASD or Asperger's (whichever you prefer), I do believe there is a high likelihood that I have it. It would explain so much for me starting from early childhood. I believe that having Asperger's and going undiagnosed as a young woman could explain alot of my behavior as an adolescent and could almost act as an umbrella for the traits I display/displayed (more when I was younger) which presented as BPD or Histrionism. I should note that I have also been diagnosed for Bipolar disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and have always known that I have (Pure-O) OCD and Social Anxiety Disorder. I also believe I have mild tourettes, but this could also be stimming? I think I experienced alot of frustration with being unable to explain why I felt and reacted to situations the way that I did for so many years that it made me act out in many ways which look Borderline-y (self-harm, drugs, social withdrawal, angry outbursts, hypersexual behavior. etc.) I plan on seeking a diagnosis soon, but will not be surprised if I am overlooked once again when I bring up Aspergers as I always have been with past psychiatrists. I, like many high-functioning females, have spent my entire life's energy thus-far attempting to disguise my autistic traits and I've gotten too good at it. But the way I feel inside and the way my brain works are still different from the neurotypical people I've always tried to emulate. I think I have several friends who have also been misdiagnosed with BPD or Bipolar (both male and female) who I believe may have HFA. It makes me happy to see more awareness coming about in relation to females with HFA/Aspergers who have previously gone undiagnosed/misdiagnosed. Hopefully we can work towards breaking the stigma someday and showing everyone that you can't always tell someone has autism and that some of us have in fact worked so hard to overcome it that we can sometimes appear even MORE socially adept than neurotypicals.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2017, 12:57 pm

magz wrote:
ghostprince wrote:
1. is it true that people with mild autism or Aspergers can never have cluster B personalities? .

The topic requires more research. I don't see why those disorders had to rule out each other - but I met people misdiagnosed with cluster B before obtaining the right diagnoses of autism, so the research would be hard to conduct.

I think many autistics are introverts. Introverts have gotten a bad rap, but it all boils down to personal responsibility. Learning self awareness and taking perspective is a life-long journey. People all over the spectrum (b/t NT -> ND) grapple with it, some not succeeding. However, as an introvert, I care just enough to succeed in the work place so I can live independently and with solitude. Before you dismiss me as a cluster B, I am in a helping profession that requires high levels of empathy and I am considered quite good at it.

magz wrote:
ghostprince wrote:
so many neourotypicals find it easier to assume we just don't care about their feelings or social rules. But "autistic people generally are concerned about your emotions, they just lack theory of mind" is just one step away from "no autistic people has ever had a cluster B personality ever" and I have my doubts.

My pet peeve. This research has an interesting history that illustrates the APA prejudice against the spectrum. Some years ago, before simon baron cohen released this theory tried out self screen for aspergers on AFF with questions that began "do other people think you are..." I was taken back that an autism researcher did not have enough empathy to realize this is a difficult path to get an authentic response. I wrote him and he did change it to "has anyone told you...". Then he did the empathy research, which was obviously flawed as well since I can experience crippling anxiety as a result of hyper-empathy and intuitiveness.

A couple of years later, Radiolab presented an episode, New Words, New World. In it, the research team used the same measure as cohen, but interpreted the results differently, and thus showed that "theory of mind" a treatable language disorder and not a pathological deficit of "empathy". cohen baren misses the nuance that his own agnosia of his own profound lack of empathy exaggerated it in his subjects: the research is invalidated by his naivete.

People tend to naturally experience empathy just in their horizontal identity (coined by Andrew Solomon in his Far From the Tree) as a vestigial 'tribal' response" to control conformity and preserve their culture. Without self awareness and widening peer groups to increase interactions with diversity - NOBODY IS EMPATHETIC to other cultural groups no matter how "NT" they are.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 2:15 pm

ghostprince wrote:
I didn't know whether to post this in the general, in the parents' section or here.

If it's too long go straight to the 4 questions below.

I don't want to state or ask if there is a scientifically/statistically proven link between having Aspergers and having a cluster B (narcissistic, histrionic, antisocial, borderline) personality disorder. Since only a few nt people fall into this category and neurodiversity is, well, just a diversity, there's no reason why there should be a link.

But some things in my family (and what some users recall about their own families here) keep giving me doubts.

Yesterday my 8 year nephew was diagnosed with a 'mild form of autism' and I thought here we go again.
All my family's paternal side is made of people everybody considers 'particular', but the only ones with an autism diagnosis are me and now my nephew. Some of the others went to therapy when this category was not so well known, and some others have never even seen a therapist.

While I can be considered a strange person and my paternal cousins are poster boys for Aspergers (I wonder if they ever questioned themselves about this topic) we are overall soft, reserved personality and we wouldn't hurt a fly.

My father and my brother, on the other hand... I'll make this quick and if you want to make questions I'll answer. They're the most exploitative, irresponsible, unfair people I've ever met in my life. What brings me to think they have a personality disorder and aren't just jerks, is 1) that they live in a world of their own which often contradicts facts 2) they are "jerks" even when they better not because it doesn't serve their purposes at all, as if it was their only way to deal with the outside world. Even if my father's social/skills are somewhat intermittent and he's somewhat naive if compared to other more skilled manipulators I've met, I wouldn't create so much drama because it would be exhausting to me. So are they proficient in skills I have problems with?

They say autism is genetic.What I see is a pattern of abuse which created sometimes autistic personalities, and sometimes more problematic personalities. My grandfather abused my father who abused both my brother and me. My father's sister married an abusive man who locked my cousins in the storage room when they didn't get the highest marks and such. I've seen my brother mistreat my nephew in public so I don't know what happens when nobody's there.

This gives me many questions.

It's possible that all these questions can be reduced to the usual big question ("why me?") no discipline can answer, but it can be an interesting issue nevertheless.

You could make a case for borderline but NPD And ASPD can't exist with ASD especially ASPD ASD and ASPD conflict in many ways.. You can have narcissistic traits though. but in general the cluster b personalities are somewhat conflicting cause they are manipulative something that autistic people struggle with.

ghostprince
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2017, 7:14 am

Pieplup wrote:
You could make a case for borderline but NPD And ASPD can't exist with ASD especially ASPD ASD and ASPD conflict in many ways.. You can have narcissistic traits though. but in general the cluster b personalities are somewhat conflicting cause they are manipulative something that autistic people struggle with.

Idk man, I personally could manipulate people: 90% of social interaction sounds fake and confusing to me anyways and once/if you learn how it's done you can engage in it artificially. I avoid it because 1. it would be exhausting to me and 2. because I suffer when people suffer and I do what I can so that it doesn't happen, that is, because I'm nd, and because I have empathy, albeit not social. But if I despised myself and despaired and thought there was no way to live for me other than mimicking nt, I'd probably resort to manipulation.

Also, manipulation is not always "I'm lying to you muahahaha", most of the time it's something more automatic and easier to do: believing your own lies. My father doesn't "manipulate" in the most dramatic sense of the term. He just calls you names whenever you disagree with him (but in a playful tone so that you're not allowed to get angry because "it was just a joke") and lies about anything he said and did in the past, that is, gaslighting. The point is, he genuinely believes his own lies, you'll never catch him being sincere with himself in the first place.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 5:05 pm

There is no known link nor empirical evidence which identifies AS conditions as Cluster B personality disorders such as sociopathy and psychopathy.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence - a great deal - which suggests that AS people are at great risk as target prey for people with Cluster B personality disorders. Especially women as prey.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 12:41 pm

I don't see why someone with Cluster B couldn't have autism. There are plenty of ASD people out there who have BPD and that is a Cluster B disorder. Borderlines very much lack empathy and can't see from another perspective and everything is about them and they have the "oh poor me" complex and they act very narcissist and when they don't get their way, they put you down, I see that as a form of them having a temper tantrum. Little kids do that. How many times have we seen kids say you're mean or they hate you when you tell them no? It's called splitting but this is normal behavior is young children and then they grow out of it. Borderlines are like giant toddlers when they are upset or angry.

Yes aspies can be massive jerks, I have known some asspies out there, especially online.

There is C PTSD which is a result from abuse and that can overlap with autism symptoms. It can also look a lot like BPD too and NPD too.

I am not sure about the last one but nothing can cause someone to be autistic. If it's created, it's not autism but something else. It could be PTSD or C PTSD. It is possible to be autistic and be abused and have affects from it but then they have both diagnoses. I am not sure how doctors determine what is autism or learned behavior as a result from the abuse. I think they go over your childhood and look at the reasons behind the symptoms to rule it out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 4:04 pm

Not at all. Many autistic people unfortunately suffer from a cluster b personality disorder. As long as your symptoms are not better explained by autism then you can be additionally diagnosed with a personality disorder.

No. We’re human. All humans can be jerks sometimes.

No, autism spectrum disorder is genetic and symptoms arise during infancy. Our brains literally aren’t built to figure out how language and social stuff works. If you’re lucky, you can still talk normally but you won’t understand the nuances of language and why words may be used in a different context. We need therapy to learn how to read and use body language and social skills. It’s basically learning a language and integrating with the culture.

Personality disorders, while they start developing in childhood, don’t cause these types of impairments found in autism. Unless they also have autism, someone with a PD develop normally but it’s their environment and life experiences that has messed up their ability to function socially and emotionally. Their social impairment is usually part of a defence mechanism.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 5:58 pm

OP, you asked if there was a link between Asperger's and Cluster B Personalities.

Cluster B Personalities are far more associated with gender than any other category- sociopathy and psychopathy - the Cluster B category of disorders, including Antisocial Personality Disorder - are largely (though not exclusively) male diagnoses and conditions. It is very rare for women to show up in as serial killers, for example, or mass shooters, relative to men, though there is very small percentage who do. Studies of Narcissistic Personality Disorder also show the same gender imbalance - men by far outnumber women.

The manipulation and impression management that these Cluster B PDs typically show in their behaviour pattern are core hallmarks of Cluster B personalities, and rarely consistent with ASD characteristics - AS people tend to be the manipulated, rather than the manipulating characters. The social naivete and lack of confidence that is so often found in AS people is the opposite of manipulative behaviour, it is often gullible, overly trusting, and therefore more likely to attract these Cluster B predators. ASD people are probably the world's worst at impression management! Women with the Cluster A personality type - dependency - are the most likely targets to be exploited by Men with Cluster B Narcissistic Personality Disorder, studies have found.

I wouldn't say that it is impossible for an ASD person to develop a Cluster B Disorder - there are always exceptions to general rules and heuristics - though they would tend to be men who have learned to mask very well, and not many AS men seem to be able to do that.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2018, 4:25 pm

Since your questions are based on false pretenses

ghostprince wrote:

The only answer you can have is: go back to the drawing board with less bigotry