Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

horseluver4190
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2017, 2:21 am

Hi All,

My name is horseluver4190. I have to admit I kind of have been a bad member for a while and haven't gotten on to post anything. I recently have discovered the TV show Supernatural, I always knew it existed but I just never actually watched it till now. The good aspie I am of course I'm obsessed. I even watch Jared/Jensen, Jared/Misha, and Jensen/Misha convention panels over and over. Like I said a thorough autistic obsession.

As most of us know, autism supports for adults are rare. Most support organizations focus on kids. I mean yes there are the few regional support groups and organizations, but mostly it is like when you turn 21 you're on your own. I wasn't diagnosed till the age of 22 so I was always screwed. There needs to be a global organization to help fund supports for us the adults. Sure I'm high functioning, but there are still supports I would like to have access to, for instance a support group for autistic adults or a therapist that specifically is trained in autism spectrum issues. Sure in bigger cities these sometimes exist. Still even there most of the supports revolve around kids. People who live in less populated rural areas like me, well good luck.

Well we all know that Jared, Jensen, and Misha have formed a lot of campaigns over the years to try to end the stigma of mental illness, especially depression. They have even set up a crisis hotline for SPN fans to get the help they need. Having had a couple of hardcore times of depression myself and having social anxieties that not only arise from me being on the spectrum, but because of intense bullying throughout school till college, I'm glad the cause to support rather than stigmatize mental illness is a torch being carried by someone. What makes it good is not only is it truly important to them, but because of who they are they have a good platform that allows them to help. Most of us are just trying to get by financially and don't have that luxury. I know I would love to get funding together though to create a global non-profit that specifically helps fund supports for adults with autism. That know matter where we were we could get support that is affordable and with professionals specially trained to deal with the issues faced by autistic adults. Do I have any way of doing this, no, because I can't even get a fulltime job in my field, or anywhere for that matter right now. So has anyone thought about contacting one of the guys to see if they could help get that cause started? I know it sounds scary and crazy, but we all are a member of the fandom and we know how strong that can be with the right motivation. I mean sure they started the "Always Keep Fighting"and "You're Not Alone" campaigns, and crisis hotline, but the hotline and those campaigns work because of the fandom being on board. Hypothetically we could have the same happen for an organization for autistic adults. What do you guys, my fellow Supernatural fans on the spectrum, think. Am I crazy with delusions, or do I have a good idea?

blackpaladin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2017, 6:00 am

Hm. I dunno. I know that other fans in the spn fandom have started their own charities (like Marrin with her "not one more" campaign"), which Jared was v. supportive of. Idk if anyone has ever asked the boys to actually start a new charity though.

My first concern would be finding a way to contact them. Sure, they have social media, but celebrities and all.. I know some people manage to talk to them a wee bit at cons, but I think the reality of cons is generally hii, hello *click* okay bye! (with some exceptions, like when people get emotional and they are like omg Jaaareeed you helped me soo muchh) and he'll hug them for a while more.

I do believe that they actually brought an impala to this one autistic dude for him to ride in, and I think his family got their attention by getting people to reblog on facebook or Idk, Idk have facebook so Idk how it works.

I know you're asking for us to contact them... I don't really know how, but that would be really cool to have that. I don't know if they won't set it up bc they can't relate, I know that's not what charities are about but so far the charities they have generally deal with things they've experienced (I mean they could be autistic and we don't realize it bc it's not always like yeah baby autistic right here boom) but.. Yeah.

I hope you find some way to get through to them and I'm sorry about your experiences in the past that you had to go through! I hope you are in a better place now.