Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

merman1974
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2017, 6:38 am

I've recently lost my job and have applied for universal credit - had an appointment for Thursday, but this morning just as I'd woken up they rang and asked if I could bring it forward to this morning. I panicked and froze - and declined saying I'd an appointment - I was prepared for Thursday but not a sudden change. He asked if it was a work related appointment - I said no....he started typing and sounded annoyed.
Do I tell him it was anxiety related - do they even care??? Having watched "I, Daniel Blake" - I'm thinking not. I've had 3 jobs my entire life. 6 years, 10 years and 10 years.....all through people I knew. The thought of being forced to comply with their applying for jobs rule or be sanctioned is all rather scary to me. I have a doctors appointment and am hoping he will sign me off but it's not until the 31st October.
Do I mention this?? or will they assume I'm being a lazy shirker?? I have worked constantly since leaving school at 16 - luckily I still live at home with my parents so I'm not worried about being homeless, but I still like to pay my way

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 7:54 am

I understand the panic and freezing when they unexpectedly wanted you to show up that very day -- I don't react well to unexpected changes of plans either, especially not "same" day" thrust upon me.

However, with an entity like the Job Centre, unfortunately you do have to dance to their tune or it can come out bad for you. You do have to comply to their requirements once you are in their system.

This appointment issue is not yet fully the start of all that, but it does look bad to them when you refuse even your first appointment, albeit this was a change of plan. It's not often they can see you sooner!

I know it feels risky but I do think you should tell them that your hesitancy was due to the fact that you suffer from anxiety issues.

I do think that they have to take a disclosure like that seriously, at least that's the theory. If you can get that official too, all the better.

You have a great work record, and they will have that on record, so I don't think they're going to think of you as a shirker.

It is stressful complying with job search requirements and yes they will sanction someone who fails to do so, but at least you live at home with your parents and will not be homeless because of any withholding of payments.

When you are on your own and they do this, it really can mean complete disaster to one's life in very short-order. You at least will still have a roof over your head and a loving family around you, so don't worry too much about things like getting sanctioned -- it may never happen as long as you do what they ask.