Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2017, 3:27 am

Is someone here who has a family who both his/her parents and siblings (if he/she has) are all aspies?
In my family both of my parents have some aspie traits but differents I thing that they aren't neither aspies neither NTs. My sister is not aspie but she is not totally NT. My grantfather and grantmother from my father side were probably both aspies but I am not 100% sure. My grandfather from my mother side was NT and my grandmother from my mother side was probably sociopath. An uncle (the first cousin of my mother) is probably aspie. Is someone here who has an all-aspie family? is it possible?

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2017, 5:25 am

It is possible, though I've never met such a family.
In mine, most of us are likely on the spectrum. Me and my brother are diagnosed with AS, and it's suspected in my second brother and my father (although they're not really having any difficulties so there's no bother to check up on it).
My mother is the only one who's definitely not on the spectrum. She is showing fewer autism traits than the average NT.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 5:48 am

I have my father to thank for this curse unfortunately. My younger brother has Asperger's Syndrome as well as myself and three older brothers. I don't know how far it goes past them so it's possible that it goes even farther on the Swedish side. Just one big Aspie/Autistic family. The ones who weren't Aspie were my mother and older sister and two other older brothers on my mom's side.

So about half and half for us with my father being the source.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Last edited by xatrix26 on 23 Oct 2017, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2017, 6:47 am

xatrix26 wrote:
I have my father to thank for this curse unfortunately. My younger brother has Asperger's Syndrome as well as myself and three older brothers. I don't know how far it goes past them so it's possible that I goes even farther on the Swedish side. Just one big Aspie/Autistic family. The ones who weren't Aspie were my mother and older sister and two other older brothers on my mom's side.

Hehe. Maybe it's a Swedish thing then? Both of my parents are swedes, but dad more so.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Oct 2017, 8:48 am

I am half-diagnosed aspie (psychologist's opinion, no official paper).
My husband shows quite a lot of Aspie traits. We have always been a pair of quirky nerds, understanding each other but alien to the "normal" community.
Our older daughter shows obvious Aspie traits.
Our younger daughter is very social and extroverted, so we suspect she might be NT. But I'm not sure of this.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:11 am

Nope...I'm the only autistic-like creature in the bunch :wink:

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:17 am

Embla wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
I have my father to thank for this curse unfortunately. My younger brother has Asperger's Syndrome as well as myself and three older brothers. I don't know how far it goes past them so it's possible that I goes even farther on the Swedish side. Just one big Aspie/Autistic family. The ones who weren't Aspie were my mother and older sister and two other older brothers on my mom's side.

Hehe. Maybe it's a Swedish thing then? Both of my parents are swedes, but dad more so.

Well, we Swedes are known for high intelligence too... :wink:

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:20 am

Well, my family is all non-NT. My dad and all his brothers were almost certainly Aspie. My mom had a mood disorder (cyclothymic, kind of low-intensity bipolar). I'm a mildly dysthymic (low-intensity intermittent depression) Aspie.

I consider myself lucky because we were all relatively mildly Aspie in our behaviors. Because I was surrounded by same, my quirks were accepted and I was taught how to 'blend in' at least a bit. I am very grateful that I have those memories of acceptance and positive regard to sustain me, since at least for adult autistics things still seem pretty unfriendly in society at large.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:24 am

I know Serena was Samantha's sister in "Bewitched." There was also somebody named "Esmeralda," who might have been Samantha's aunt. She seemed less evil than Samantha's mother.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2017, 9:43 am

xatrix26 wrote:
Embla wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:

Well, we Swedes are known for high intelligence too... :wink:

Holy crap! I think we found the link!
It's the Swedish genes that causes autism!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:45 am

There you go! Now it's not the Neanderthals!

Swedes are distinctly non-Neanderthal in most senses.

shilohmm
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2017, 11:14 am

NoName93 wrote:
Is someone here who has a family who both his/her parents and siblings (if he/she has) are all aspies?

Parents and siblings, definitely not. My parents are as NT as NT can get.

When it comes to hubby and my children, however, everyone except my middle daughter has some strong spectrum traits. Whether we'd be diagnosed if we went in, I dunno.

Thomas Sowell wrote two books on a condition he calls Late Talking Children, which I swear is kind of a "autism for parents in denial" thing. Back when my kids were younger and I frequented the discussion boards, people would discuss whether to go for an autism or asperger's diagnosis, and there was a lot of, "I know my child is not autistic, but getting this label makes it easier for him to get the help he needs" -- and pretty much everyone who tried for it, got it. Sowell believes that families with musicians and engineers are prone to it.

My kids have musicians and people working with computers on both sides, which fits that pattern. I certainly think autistic traits run in families, but often it's just the one kid who is "the weird one." My mother-in-law flat out called hubby "the weird one"; my parents were more "what is wrong with this one," but in both cases we were the odd one out. My middle daughter is kind of the odd one out, but I don't think it was as hard on her as it was hard on hubby -- once she hit school age she had ballet for socializing, and she's embraced her family's weirdness pretty much. Her oldest brother, who has more traits than she does but fewer than the rest of us, is the one who gets frustrated with the fact that we aren't normal, and that he keeps dealing with social challenges.

But aside from his frustrations with socializing outside the family, they had a relatively mellow childhood, where they were generally accepted (there are conformist homeschoolers, but we mostly managed to find more open minded people), but I worry that they're going to have a hard time as adults.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 11:41 am

I was a "very late talker." Didn't speak one word until age 5 1/2.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 1:29 pm

Parents and siblings undiagnosed but definitely not NT.

Grandparents not NT.

Some cousins in the spectrum. Aunt's and uncle's don't seem to be.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Oct 2017, 3:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was a "very late talker." Didn't speak one word until age 5 1/2.

May I ask you how your parents reacted? Did they send you to therapies? ABA? Tried to help themselves? Or simply waited?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

PaperMajora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2017, 4:24 am

Undiagnosed but probably/could have it IMO: Me, my mom, one of my uncles and late grandfather on my mother's side maaaybe my eldest brother and my first removed cousin. There's also a cousin who I've never met , apparently he's obsessed with EDM and his tantrums are the stuff legend in the family. One story from my late grandmother suggests he was an advanced speaker for his age. It could also come from my maternal grandmothers side. My great grandmother apparently spent a good portion of her life in an asylum, because she would apparently have outbursts/meltdowns out of nowhere; which sounds eerily familiar.
At some point I want to dig deep into the family records if many exist and see if there's signs of it deeper into the tree.

Diagnosed: Nephew. Preschool psychologist wants little niece tested.