Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 3:22 pm

Haven't been here for a while, but I'm back and guess what... I'm suicidal again.

Actually I'm always suicidal as I suffer with chronic suicidal ideation, often to the point of obsession. But I'm currently going through an acute phase where the ideation is turning to action.

I recently spent some time in the High Dependency Unit due to heart issues after I took an overdose - a friend I was chatting online with guessed what I had done because I wasn't making much sense, and she guilted me into going to the hospital by telling me she'd be devastated if I died.

I now feel resentful towards my friend for keeping me here. I honestly don't want to hurt anyone and it would be so much easier to end my life if there weren't people that care about me. I wish I would have a cardiac arrest in my sleep or be diagnosed with something terminal so that I wouldn't have to kill myself. I know the people that care would still hurt because I died, but not in the same way they would if I succeed in suicide.

I saw my psychiatrist on Monday, and she told me she thinks that one day I will succeed in killing myself if I keep going the way I am. I wish I hadn't gone to the hospital this time and I wish I had died. That it was all over. I just don't want to live anymore. Life is pointless and painful.

I know some of you will say I should be grateful to have people that care about me, and believe me I know I'm "lucky" to have that - but it doesn't make me feel like life is worth living. If anything, it makes things worse because it makes me feel guilty about feeling this way.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 3:57 pm

I'm sorry you're in pain & I wish I had the answer.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 6:24 pm

Is there a particular thing that is making you want to die? Such as something stressful or a lack of something? Or is it irrational just a feeling because the latter may just be a matter of medication.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 8:01 pm

My therapist had some words for me after a hospitalization years ago when I tried to kill myself.

Death comes for everybody. Life is short. And there are many pleasures to be had that would forever be denied by dying.

Call 1-800-273-TALK. And get connected with some help. You reached out here. And it is possible to not feel that horrible without having to die. Many have been where you are, and with help, they entered a better state of mind. You do not have to do this alone.

Clakker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2017, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Actually I'm always suicidal as I suffer with chronic suicidal ideation,...I know some of you will say I should be grateful to have people that care about me, and believe me I know I'm "lucky" to have that - but it doesn't make me feel like life is worth living. If anything, it makes things worse because it makes me feel guilty about feeling this way.

I have had the same problem since adolescents. It feels like every experience is somehow good enough to be the last one and that one is ready to get on with it already. There is a tedium to existing, a low grade boredom with one's being here, and it needs to be experienced to be understood. I am quite certain that it is due to being bipolar and on the spectrum that I feel this way.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 7:17 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to come back. Thanks for the responses.

There isn't a particular trigger to me wanting to die (this time). Just don't feel my life is ever going to get better. Over the last few years I have lost my husband (divorced), my forever home and my job all due to my mental health. I have had 4 years of weekly psychotherapy (ended in August), and tried numerous different medications. I've tried doing things I used to enjoy and tried new things I think I might enjoy - but I never enjoy anything. I've tried thinking more positively but everything just crashes down again because that thinking isn't real. Every day is miserable and painful to live through.

I do agree that death comes for everybody. But I disagree about life being short - to me every day feels interminably long. I've had some contact with The Samaritans (I'm in the UK) but I haven't found it very helpful. I see my psychiatrist every couple of weeks. I have support workers twice a week from the local autistic society. So I'm not going through this alone but it seems like nothing helps.

I am just so tired of life that death seems a better option.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 12:57 pm

Well maybe you just werent meant to be happy. Maybe you need to live for other people and not just yourself. Try staying alive for those that care about you.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 3:26 pm

I said in the first post that I don't want to hurt the people that care about me. That is essentially why I'm still alive (well, that and a bit of "luck"). I've no doubt that I would be dead by now if it wasn't for them. However, the professionals involved in my care all say that I need to want to live for me - not for others - as that is what will ultimately stop me feeling suicidal. I just can't seem to find that no matter what I try, and haven't been able to for as long as I can remember. There are times when I think things are looking up - like when I bought my flat last year - and I try to be positive about that, but it rarely lasts for long.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 5:08 pm

Professionals arent always right. I think you're just one of those people that arent meant to be happy. I think you need to live for other people.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 5:21 pm

Thanks. Misery and continuing suicidality it is then.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

Hold on and please dont consider suicide. Someone else might have some better advice for you here.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm

Little things can make people happy.

I eat a few teaspoons of raw organic honey a day. It is a super health food but also a sweet treat. It helps kill bad bacteria and promote the good ones in the gut and I have read how some scientists believe autism is linked to the gut and immune system. So I am hoping keeping on having it will alleviate the worst symptoms of my Aspergers. When I have it I do seem more laid back and less obsessive and sensitive. I also feel loads better on days I only eat organic ingredients. There are so many pesticides on non-organic food and these pesticides kill bees so I can't see how they could do us any good either! Another thing about raw honey is it contains enzymes that help us to digest foods we eat.

I have read an account from one woman who suffered anxiety and depression online who ate raw honey every day for a month and she said it was like the best medication she could have imagined.

Maybe trying that would help your mood. I really hope you feel better soon. :)

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 7:06 pm

YellowBanana wrote:

Honestly I have been in a very similar situation as you where you think your life won't get better and end up jumping off a car park and now I am disabled and my life is much worse, there are so many things that can go wrong with attempting suicide that can make your life a misery.

Clakker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm

YellowBanana wrote:
Sorry it's taken me so long to come back. Thanks for the responses.

There isn't a particular trigger to me wanting to die (this time). Just don't feel my life is ever going to get better. Over the last few years I have lost my husband (divorced), my forever home and my job all due to my mental health. I have had 4 years of weekly psychotherapy (ended in August), and tried numerous different medications. I've tried doing things I used to enjoy and tried new things I think I might enjoy - but I never enjoy anything. I've tried thinking more positively but everything just crashes down again because that thinking isn't real. Every day is miserable and painful to live through.

I do agree that death comes for everybody. But I disagree about life being short - to me every day feels interminably long. I've had some contact with The Samaritans (I'm in the UK) but I haven't found it very helpful. I see my psychiatrist every couple of weeks. I have support workers twice a week from the local autistic society. So I'm not going through this alone but it seems like nothing helps.

I am just so tired of life that death seems a better option.I said in the first post that I don't want to hurt the people that care about me. That is essentially why I'm still alive (well, that and a bit of "luck"). I've no doubt that I would be dead by now if it wasn't for them. However, the professionals involved in my care all say that I need to want to live for me - not for others - as that is what will ultimately stop me feeling suicidal. I just can't seem to find that no matter what I try, and haven't been able to for as long as I can remember. There are times when I think things are looking up - like when I bought my flat last year - and I try to be positive about that, but it rarely lasts for long.

I could have written this, not verbatim, nevertheless in kind. The loss of a partner, the home, the career, the not wanting to hurt anyone, and the ambivalence towards my life itself and being alive. I find it difficult to live for 'me', as well. I too live 'mostly' in my head and it is the only space I can go when the negative emotions spill over the banks. 'You've got to build a levee deep inside' says Natalie Merchant. If your living on a flood plain and you can't move you must somehow learn to live with the damage. Buying a flat is a solid first step to levee construction. It's something solid, a place for you. I think that if your anything like me then you know this already. I am writing to say thanks for you express how I feel. I have no advice for you but I think I understand. I hope that helps.

YellowBanana wrote:

:lol:

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 12:59 am

I know how you feel. *hugs*

At least whenever those thoughts cross my mind, I always end up with a permission error, “Sorry, but the required person has not indicated they wish you to die.” So much for living for myself.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 1:05 am

I feel the same way, I wish I would just die from something completely outside my control, also because the people who care about me would hurt less if it wasn't my own doing, and would probably feel less guilt, too - no wondering if they could have stopped me if they'd realized what I was going to do, said the right thing, etc. Big dragon hugs for you :heart:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"