Threads about "Did X have AS/Autism"?

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I favor allowing these threads for historical figures and public figures who are not minors(sans those minors who are reliably and publicly ASD).

Agreed. I'm slightly reluctant about detective work "outing" public figures, because diagnosis status is a personal and private thing and even public figures have a right to privacy! I guess "she does a lot of things which could be explained by autism" is probably fine, but "I did some investigating and Adult X is behind the inactive blog autism_pro on tumblr, and his mum made a post on Mumsnet about having an autistic child in 2005" probably wouldn't be (not necessarily saying we'd intervene as mods - just saying that it would be wrong).

Very important with regards to minors. There's been one particularly high profile case over the past year or so, where he's basically been outed by his blundering oaf of a father (an elderly man who had this child very late), and that's supported by a few behavioural things. Sorry, but this kid didn't ask to be high profile, he didn't put himself in the public spotlight, and he hasn't publicly and comfortably outed himself. He has a right to privacy without people going over his every move and things his father said to Fox News in 2008.