Getting yelled at for things you didn't know you had to do

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 4:43 pm

I am considered an expert at work because I am better than anyone else at figuring out what our valued customers are intending to say.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 10:48 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
This happens to me a lot particularly with people who don't know me well. Often people think I can't have been listening properly or paying attention to the things they say or I'm selfish because I don't realise there is a sub-text to what they're saying like 'I've got a lot to do today' often means 'can you do some things for me?'

Well that explains a few things... I always thought the hidden message was "stay out of my way today." Oops.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 2:16 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
This happens to me a lot particularly with people who don't know me well. Often people think I can't have been listening properly or paying attention to the things they say or I'm selfish because I don't realise there is a sub-text to what they're saying like 'I've got a lot to do today' often means 'can you do some things for me?'

Well that explains a few things... I always thought the hidden message was "stay out of my way today." Oops.

I think it can mean that too, it depends on a thing they call 'tone of voice' :? I am finding it a bit easier now that I know it exists. I now say to people 'that's what you said, but what did you mean'. I've only tried this so far with people I know well, so far so good. When I say things now, I sometimes point out that I mean what I say rather than I'm trying to imply something different :D this is working well.