Medical appointments requiring someone pick you up

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:09 pm

About 15 years ago, I had a dental operation that involved a general a general anesthetic (being put to sleep). They told me that in order to do it, I had to arrange to have someone pick me up after it was over, and they couldn't do the operation unless I could get someone to pick me up, even if I took a taxi home. At the time, my brother lived in the same city as me, so I got him to pick me up.

But now he's moved to another city, and there's quite honestly nobody that I can think of that I might ask to pick me up if I had something similar. No, I don't have any kind of impending operation, but it's just this worry that nags the back of my mind from time to time. If something similar were to happen now, what would I do?

Anyone else in this situation and actually have to deal with it? What did you do?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm

My co-workers have helped me out.

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2017, 10:30 pm

There are medical transport services available. I'm not sure what it costs, but sometimes even covered by insurance. You could do a Google search and call some of them in your area to figure out if they help with this type of thing, just to put yourself at ease.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 4:37 am

When they asked me if I had someone to drive me home, I said yes. I had me. I wasn't recovering from a general, though, but from being forced to stay up all night to drive to the appointment, set without my consent. Never assume that medical people know what they are doing.