Kinda scared of them 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Maybe a little 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Not at all. They're smaller than me. 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 20

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:02 pm

Not in the slightest. My Mum loved collecting Redback spiders she found while gardening. She would pop them in a jar so we could get a better look at them then release them back into the garden :lol:
I love butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs and praying mantis. However, I don't like maggots and dealing with fly strike. Picking the maggots out is pretty gross but I can do it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:15 pm

bunnyb wrote:
Not in the slightest. My Mum loved collecting Redback spiders she found while gardening. She would pop them in a jar so we could get a better look at them then release them back into the garden :lol:
I love butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs and praying mantis. However, I don't like maggots and dealing with fly strike. Picking the maggots out is pretty gross but I can do it.

For those of you out there NOT from Australia "red back spiders" are notoriously poisonous. In fact they look a lot like their American cousins: the black widow spiders. So your mom was....either brave, or foolish.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:17 pm

bunnyb wrote:
I once had an online friend who captured a trap-door spider and brought her home along with her egg sack. He kept her in ajar for a day, and posted lots of pic, before letting her go. He also snapped a cool golden orb

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:26 pm

I'm cautious around stingers, and sometimes kept awake by mosquitoes, but not fearful, even though that was how I was first taught about bees. If I'm face-down and bored during a sunbath, I'll turn over pebbles to see what lives there. I'm fascinated by the miniaturization. I check all ladybugs for species, hoping to disprove one extinction.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
bunnyb wrote:

For those of you out there NOT from Australia "red back spiders" are notoriously poisonous. In fact they look a lot like their American cousins: the black widow spiders. So your mom was....either brave, or foolish.

Not brave or foolish, just interested. Part of it was teaching me to recognise where they were likely to be so I wouldn't get bitten. She also taught me about snakes and took me rockpooling looking for blue ringed octopus. Growing up where I did, recognising these things was useful. :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:42 pm

A Californian friend once warned me of the poisonous spiders in his house, and he should have also reminded me that they were tropical grade, something I had never considered.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 12:47 am

I would say I'm quite a bit more scared of wasps than most people, not sure if that counts.

Flying cockroaches? I didn't know they existed. I think I'd find them quite disgusting.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 2:19 am

I don't like bugs at all and they terrify me and disgust me at the same time. Especially when I don't know what they are. I've had bed bugs before and I developed an itching stim because I used to get bitten by them quite a bit 3 years ago. But you'll all be glad to know that I moved out of that disgusting little basement suite that gave me those bugs.

They carry diseases and parasites and then make people feel bad so for all of these reasons I cannot tolerate bugs at all. Grrrrrr and yuck.

:x

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)