Can you feel offended
Yes 79%  79%  [ 23 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 29

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 1:18 am

I could sit here and try and sound like a rock and say that nothing offends me but this would be something Tony Attwood would call "Arrogance and Denial." By the way, everyone go read his book "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" 2006 edition by Tony Attwood. Awesome book and a genius and wonderful human being.

There's quite a bit in this world that offends me but my perceptions are somewhat heightened as I'm sure most of ours are.

Such as:

Parasitic ideologies
Intolerance
Mental Health stigmas
Cursing in public
Yelling in public
Physical violence
Hateful language
Immorality
Mean-spirited prank videos on YouTube
Bullying

And my least favourite: NTs who stare at me when I stim.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 10:34 am

Honestly I don't value other peoples opinions so No I don't get offended.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 11:28 am

Not being able to feel offended is something I can't comprehend. I have several "berserk buttons", and when they get pressed, they get get pressed HARD.

Just earlier this week, for example, I saw a video for that "Lost Stars" HBO special, which had the title "Fight Against Autism". This made me furious and I typed up a message telling "them" off, how autism isn't something that needs to be fought or cured like a disease, and basically how much they suck. :evil:

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2017, 11:41 am

I often feel that to offend someone you either need to call one of their family members something bad, or say something to the person that is a personal attack - maybe about their body or their religion or where they live etc.

Being critical is about something they have done (or not done).

For instance you could call your neighbour out for blocking the path to your house with their bins by asking them to put them in a better place; that would be criticism, or you could say to them "I don't know why you bother putting your bins out, the state your house and garden is in.....". They might find that offensive.

People do get offended too easily these days.

Reacting badly to criticism isn't being offended, probably more a feeling of chagrined.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 1:22 pm

billegge wrote:
A lot of people say they are offended about something, or worry that they may offend someone. For me, I don't think I can feel offended.

If someone says something true about me then I will either feel happy that I learned something new or maybe I will feel embarrassed from an oversight on my part.

If someone says something about me that is not true, then I do not take it personally. Instead I may wonder why they said what they did.

At no time do I feel offended. I do not see how I could even feel offended.

Can you feel offended? Why or why not?

:?

From the google dictionary:

Quote:
of·fend·ed
əˈfendəd/Submit
adjective
resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.
"she sounded slightly offended"
synonyms: upset, insulted, affronted, aggrieved, displeased, hurt, wounded, disgruntled, put out, annoyed, angry, cross, exasperated, indignant, irritated, piqued, vexed, irked, stung, galled, nettled, resentful, in a huff, huffy, in high dudgeon; More

Okay so everyone gets offended. If a comment annoyed you, you were offended. If you find something insulting, you're offended. If you got hurt feelings, you're offended, etc. if you look at the definition. You would have to be a robot to never get offended because you wouldn't have any feelings and no emotion. I think some people get more offended than others but everyone gets offended. I don't think people have gotten easily more offended, the internet has done it and what I mean by it is we have became more aware and the media has been pointing it out too.

I don't find myself being offended as others are but maybe because I haven't experience it yet or have never been in that situation or I just don't care about something as others care about. Like with people using the word ret*d or ret*d or autistic as insults, I get no feeling from it like it does for most people. I have been called by that R word and it stopped offending me in high school when everyone started using it on each other and kids were even calling their teachers that behind their backs and other teachers would ignore the word they were using.

Is being shocked by a comment also count as being offended? Probably since stunned is another word for being shocked or surprised. When people say "wow" I guess that is a indicator they are offended because "wow" is another way of being shocked. They are so stunned, they have no ideas what to say or react to it so they say "wow."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 1:42 pm

I can recognise when someone is insulting me for the most part but it does not bother me. I think you can only take offence if you care about others think.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

Anyone who claims to "never get offended by anything" is either an idiot, or is a lying sack of manure!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 2:06 pm

Sometimes I like to pretend to be offended by people.

It just stirs up a bit of drama and I find it amusing.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 2:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Anyone who claims to "never get offended by anything" is either an idiot, or is a lying sack of manure!

Honestly I am neither but I believe everyone else is inferior to me and that their opinions don't matter.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2017, 2:47 pm

Offended = Having had one's sense of reality questioned, in a nutshell.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 2:54 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Honestly I am neither but I believe everyone else is inferior to me and that their opinions don't matter.

I bet you'd be a barrel of laughs to get stuck in a lift with.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2017, 5:31 pm

I don't get offended very easily, but when I do, it's mainly by people insulting me in some way.

Daniel89 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

If you're being serious, that's not really a good way to look at things.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 7:46 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

If I were you I would be concerned about my state of mind, because this is how narcissistic psychopaths perceive the world.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 8:25 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

If I were you I would be concerned about my state of mind, because this is how narcissistic psychopaths perceive the world.

I am neither Narcissistic people need others to be impressed by them I am not. I am not a psychopath either because I really care about animals, the mentally disabled and children.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2017, 8:37 pm

I don't get offended by personal attacks, but when someone shows a blatant disregard for certain values or morals and feels that there's nothing wrong with it, then that really sets me off.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 9:08 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I am neither Narcissistic people need others to be impressed by them I am not. I am not a psychopath either because I really care about animals, the mentally disabled and children.

You say you care, but you consider them all inferior to you. That's a really unhealthy mindset with which to approach the rest of the world. It's setting you up for failure in all your social interactions before they even begin. No one likes a person who thinks they are better than everyone else they encounter. Add to that on a purely logical basis there is no way you are superior to all other people, so your approach is fundamentally flawed on several levels.