Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 10:35 am

So I've noted this before around here - I'm not sure if it fits the criteria for OCD or if it's just autistic obsessiveness on steroids, but I have this thing where I repeat the same few topics, over and over, and have no memory of having done so. Less frequently I'm aware I'm doing it, but can't stop doing it.
I have observed several people on WP do it too. Whether they remember or are aware, I couldn't say, but the repetition is definitely there. It's like we're getting "stuck" on a topic, usually a negative one, and just repeat repeat repeat. Can't let it go, or make any progress on solving the problems.
This is different to special interest obsessiveness - for one, a special interest is almost always positive and something we enjoy. It's not a negative problem behaviour that just gets recycled.
When I first became aware I was doing this, I started a journal on my laptop to keep tabs on how bad the obsessiveness was, then did a review at the end of the month to see how much material was outright repeated.
Often, it was scary. No one does this without some serious substance abuse involved, and I was (often still am) doing it sober.
So, for December, I decided to try another strategy. I reviewed the points from other months and identified the most common repeats. I made a list of them at the top of the December journal file, to which I will refer before writing anything. I will then NOT repeat ANY of those topics, unless there is NEW progress made.
Example - one of them is dissatisfaction with one of my locations, as it is remote and impractical. I determined I will not simply complain repetitively about how far away it is, how it's messing up my life because I'm too far away from education/jobs/interests, how much I hate being stuck out there and how I have to move if I'm to have any chance at any opportunities, how many problems it causes, etc. I will only focus on this if there is progress made to move - maybe a house-sitting/caretaker job, or a harvest, etc.
I'm not entirely sure what I hope to prove with this strategy (other than hopefully, driving myself less insane) but I thought perhaps, if I can train my brain out of doing this, I can start to short-circuit the behaviour, and eventually, I won't do this anymore. It may help to get "unstuck" on these repeated topics, because I will be forced to think about something else, if I have forbidden the repetition of those topics and I will refer to them to keep them in mind each time.
So. Anyone else who has problems with obsessiveness or repetitiveness in a similar way - does this read like a feasible way to control this behaviour to you? Anyone tried similar approaches for OCD or related obsessive disorders? If it seems like a good enough idea - try it out!

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 10:31 pm

I saw another WP had this image as their avatar, which describes the obsessiveness found in people with autism pretty well. I have tried to I guess disengage from obssessing about topics that I have no new information nor decisions to be made in the present moment but it is pretty difficult. I haven't had much success. I have been trying to work on mindfulness as I find a lot of my obssessiveness occurs while on autopilot.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 12:40 am

I tend to be very obsessive about my comfort zone.

When I'm leaving, even if only traveling to a nearby city for a day, I'm very anxious until I return.

Consequently, there have been years when I never got more than 35 miles from home going to a nearby town. Even 35 miles was further than I liked.

About 20% of the time when driving to the nearby town that is 35 miles away, I often turn around and come back within the first ten miles. And it isn't that unusual that I'll go to the town to do three or four things but will return after only doing one of them.

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 3:52 am

Personally, I think your strategy is brilliant, and the revision you’ve made to it seems quite constructive, given that staying stuck, or continuously, revisiting a topic, will, only perpetuate the cycle of obsessing. Good luck!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 5:13 pm

C2V wrote:
So I've noted this before around here - I'm not sure if it fits the criteria for OCD or if it's just autistic obsessiveness on steroids, but I have this thing where I repeat the same few topics, over and over, and have no memory of having done so. Less frequently I'm aware I'm doing it, but can't stop doing it.
I have observed several people on WP do it too. Whether they remember or are aware, I couldn't say, but the repetition is definitely there. It's like we're getting "stuck" on a topic, usually a negative one, and just repeat repeat repeat. Can't let it go, or make any progress on solving the problems.
This is different to special interest obsessiveness - for one, a special interest is almost always positive and something we enjoy. It's not a negative problem behaviour that just gets recycled.
When I first became aware I was doing this, I started a journal on my laptop to keep tabs on how bad the obsessiveness was, then did a review at the end of the month to see how much material was outright repeated.
Often, it was scary. No one does this without some serious substance abuse involved, and I was (often still am) doing it sober.
So, for December, I decided to try another strategy. I reviewed the points from other months and identified the most common repeats. I made a list of them at the top of the December journal file, to which I will refer before writing anything. I will then NOT repeat ANY of those topics, unless there is NEW progress made.
Example - one of them is dissatisfaction with one of my locations, as it is remote and impractical. I determined I will not simply complain repetitively about how far away it is, how it's messing up my life because I'm too far away from education/jobs/interests, how much I hate being stuck out there and how I have to move if I'm to have any chance at any opportunities, how many problems it causes, etc. I will only focus on this if there is progress made to move - maybe a house-sitting/caretaker job, or a harvest, etc.
I'm not entirely sure what I hope to prove with this strategy (other than hopefully, driving myself less insane) but I thought perhaps, if I can train my brain out of doing this, I can start to short-circuit the behaviour, and eventually, I won't do this anymore. It may help to get "unstuck" on these repeated topics, because I will be forced to think about something else, if I have forbidden the repetition of those topics and I will refer to them to keep them in mind each time.
So. Anyone else who has problems with obsessiveness or repetitiveness in a similar way - does this read like a feasible way to control this behaviour to you? Anyone tried similar approaches for OCD or related obsessive disorders? If it seems like a good enough idea - try it out!

It's not OCD. It's a combination of ASD obsessivness and the fact that people who are socially isolated offline and don't have much going on in their lives to distract them tend to spend too much time in their head and it's an echo chamber.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 3:11 pm

I have a couple of repetitive compulsions. My main one is "Boom, cha, say what? Alright. OK. Let's do this" often accompanied by a clicking sound. Usually said after a specific action (tucking a chair under, checking that I have my bag, making sure my computer is off, etc.)

Then I have another one, where I feel compelled to say the word "Bleach" whenever I see food that is particularly horrible to me.

Sometimes I check that my shoes are on the right way (even though I know which way they go anyway).

I place the shoes on the ground the wrong way and say "Nope, definitely nope" a few times, then switch them the right way around, and put them on. Recently I have stopped doing this, and seem to be snapping out of the habit.