Childish interests is an Aspie thing? Feeling embarrassed?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 11:35 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
My cousins also participated in the destruction. They had bigger pockets, so we usually used their GI Joes/Star Wars figures to do this. At the time, we never considered that they would become collectible. However, I always knew that the Transformers toys were special. So, they never suffered the same fate.

I remember a large number of G.I.Joes,Transformers,and Masters of the Universe figures though, I eventually gave them away to my step-brother at the time not know they would derive some significant value decades later but, always enjoyed passing hours away having imaginary battles.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
My cousins also participated in the destruction. They had bigger pockets, so we usually used their GI Joes/Star Wars figures to do this. At the time, we never considered that they would become collectible. However, I always knew that the Transformers toys were special. So, they never suffered the same fate.

Star Wars figures I owned as a child:

1. Fighter Pilot Luke
2. Jedi Knight Luke
3. Darth Vader
4. R2D2
5. C3PO
6. Chewie
7. Lando in his bounty hunter disguise
8. Lando in his Cloud City costume
9. A Gamoorean Guard
10. Obi Wan Kenobi
11. A Stormtrooper
12. The Ewok Medicine Man

jedicounsellor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2017, 7:04 pm

My special interest is writing at the moment, which to some extent includes reading. Next year, I'm going to study English and Publishing. I just hope my interest doesn't waver in that time, so that I can continue to study into the years that follow.
Other interests which I fall into and out of regularly (including writing) are: chess, video games, reading, english, technology such as devices which I like to sit somewhere rendered useless, languages- Russian, Arabic, and others I take less seriously, psychology, various self help and reference type books regarding things I'd like to know more about. Being inbetween interests is a painful experience for me.
I don't handle boredom very well at all, and find it causes me a great deal of stress. Sometimes I retreat into my bedroom and lay down to try to relax with some quiet. Other times I find solace in looking through my old toys. It reminds me of my childhood and how I would relate to my teddy bears, or ninja turtle action figures, even the cars while they were doing a "smash 'em up."

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2023, 3:10 pm

I enjoy watching Arthur when I get home from bar hopping and am waiting for my ambien to kick in

Phoenix87x
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2023, 6:07 pm

I'm 35, but i've always looked at the world with childlike wonder.

To this day I love to stare at things or get excited about things in a childlike way such as bouncing up and down on a chair or putting both hands in the air.

I like to do cartwheels and climb trees as well. And whenever I go to breakfast I get chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream.

And now that I've been diagnosed, I will never feel guilty about any of it ever again.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2023, 6:39 pm

Most things associated with childishness are objectively fun and pleasant (toys, plushies, cartoons, comics, bright colours, candy, enthusiasm, playfulness, curiosity). I think that not having an appreciation for any of these things as an adult is strange. Fun things are fun

Sometimes I suspect that neurotypicals like these things to the same extent as people on the spectrum, the just suppress it because they're constantly operating by arbitrary social rules.

I used to feel embarrassed about being too "childish" but it rarely bothers me anymore