What makes you level 2 instead of level 1 autism?

Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 7:23 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
When I'm level 1 Aspie my hair turns gold.
When I'm level 2 (aka. ascended Aspie) I also emit lightning bolts.

At level 3 you go beyond the level of an ascended Aspie, your golden hair grows all the way to your waist and start exhibiting some facial features

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 7:29 pm

Sheldon on Big Bang Theory would an example of Level 0 autism. There isn't any question that he exhibits autistic traits.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-06- ... -response/

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 4:45 am

@up

I didn't watch too much of the BBT but I think Sheldon would be 0, 1 or 2 depending on situation and environment. He wouldn't be doing that well if he didn't have his understanding friend. His mom is also supporting/helping him return to norm at times he regresses.

It easy to imagine Sheldon being repeatably bullied and mentally destroyed eventually if he weren't living in a supportive, understanding environment. And apparently it DID happen during his childhood. http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/a ... th-episode

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 5:08 am

Sheldon seems like the type who understands complex psysics, but if someone dropped him off in the middle of the city, he'd be like a lost 5 year old.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 7:00 am

Sheldon Leonard is definitely "Type I autistic, without speech delay". What they used to call "aspergers".

He has savant abilities in a field that earns him a nice living and high status so he doesn't even need the "limited support" that a typical Type I would need. Doesn't change the fact that he would diagnosed as Type I.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2017, 7:49 am

Level 0: You won't get a diagnosis of ASD because you can hold a job and behave at the dinner table.
Meltdowns? Shutdowns? Being bullied? Anxiety? Constant struggle? Exhaustion? No, they are not real. You must be making this up. I can see you can make eye contact!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 10:08 am

The problem with a system like this is that no one exists in isolation. As a teenager, I'd have been level 2, if the diagnosis had existed. For most of the past 20 years, I'd have been level 1 or even 0 (based on appearances), but I always had someone living with me and worked at compatible jobs. For the last couple of years, I've been slipping back (based on appearances) to 1.5-2 range because my life as gotten much more complicated and I have less constant support. But despite all these apparent changes, I don't feel very different inside--it's just my circumstances that have changed.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 1:07 pm

magz wrote:
Level 0: You won't get a diagnosis of ASD because you can hold a job and behave at the dinner table.
Meltdowns? Shutdowns? Being bullied? Anxiety? Constant struggle? Exhaustion? No, they are not real. You must be making this up. I can see you can make eye contact!

That sounds like lot of aspies who do work and have kids or were/are married and drive cars and live on their own.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 1:08 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
I guess I'm classed as the borderline between, 0 and 1 but at one time in my life I was between 1 and 2

I would put myself at 0.5. My husband told me that is what I mean because level 0 just means you don't have it and level .5 means you do but barely.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 1:14 pm

The levels refer to support levels, not whether you have it or not.
I think it makes perfect sense for Level 0 to correspond to yes, you definitely have it. But, no, we aren't going to give you any support. We have limited resources for helping the disabled, so you are on your own, whether you like it or not.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2017, 1:55 pm

BTDT wrote:
The levels refer to support levels, not whether you have it or not.
I think it makes perfect sense for Level 0 to correspond to yes, you definitely have it. But, no, we aren't going to give you any support. We have limited resources for helping the disabled, so you are on your own, whether you like it or not.

This would make a perfect sense.
I consider myself Level 0. This means, I can do without accommodations typically offered to autistic people. I can hold a job. I need some psychological help and psychiatric treatment but NTs sometimes have depression too. Having some chronic illnesses does not always mean you are disabled.
But still I lack social intuition, don't recognize social hierarchies, suffer from sensory issues, sometimes have meltdowns. I just cope well enough most of the time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 2:39 pm

Lots of people with "Level One" autism can hold jobs, get married, etc. Even some people with "Level Two" autism, but with at least some accommodations.

People with Level One autism might need support for things like meltdowns "at times." They might have sensory issues "at times." Or they might have these all the time---but are able to adapt relatively well.

It is evident, all the time, that people with Level Two autism have a "disorder." They can't "hide it," like many people with Level One autism.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2017, 3:55 pm

Can you give some examples of the support Level 1 are entitled to?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 5:53 pm

It depends on the person really. It can range widely.

Here are examples of some "accommodations" which are given in schools

One person with Level One, say, might be entitled to "untimed tests."

Another might be entitled to time to calm down in a "non-sensory" sort of room.

Another might be entitled to a certain seat so as not to have to hear the hum of the air-conditioner.

Things llike that.

capa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 6:25 pm

C2V wrote:
I hate functioning levels.
To me it's pointless, because my ability to function seems to fluctuate. Right now I might be level 1 - looking relatively passable, not dead.
Next week I might be level 3, unable to care for myself or speak or comprehend anything that is going on in any way.
See me sitting at a cafe with someone I'm comfortable with and in an encounter that I have prepared extensively for, and then see me in shutdown mode when I'm basically catatonic, and you'd swear I was two different people.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. The most unsignificant trauma may make me flip from one level to the next one and therefore disrupt my depression-high functionning happy state cycle.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 10:19 pm

I think there is a distinct difference between level 1 and 2. Completely different lifestyles. As a level 2 it is unlikely that I will ever lead a normal life as in have my own place, get up get dressed, go to work, get groceries, pay bills etc. I'll always be like a dependent little kid.
The trade off so to speak is I won't have to deal with many of the difficulties a level 1 person does.