Politically incorrect language Trump administration style

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 12:44 am

Trump administration forbids CDC officials from using 7 words and phrases

Quote:
Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are: "vulnerable," "entitlement," "diversity," "transgender," "fetus," "evidence-based" and "science-based."

In some instances, the analysts were given alternative phrases. Instead of "science-based" or "evidence-based," the suggested phrase is "CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes," the person said. In other cases, no replacement words were immediately offered.

he question of how to address such issues as sexual orientation, gender identity and abortion rights - all of which received significant visibility under the Obama administration - has surfaced repeatedly in federal agencies since President Donald Trump took office. Several key departments - including Health and Human Services, which oversees CDC, as well as Justice, Education and Housing and Urban Development - have changed some federal policies and how they collect government information about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.

In March, for example, HHS dropped questions about sexual orientation and gender identity in two surveys of elderly people.

HHS has also removed information about LGBT Americans from its website. The department's Administration for Children and Families, for example, archived a page that outlined federal services that are available for LGBT people and their families, including how they can adopt and receive help if they are the victims of sex trafficking

The ban is related to the budget and supporting materials that are to be given to CDC's partners and to Congress, the analyst said. The president's budget for 2019 is expected to be released in early February. The budget blueprint is generally shaped to reflect an administration's priorities.

Federal agencies are sending in their budget proposals to the Office of Management and Budget, which has authority about what is included.

Neither an OMB spokesman nor a CDC spokeswoman responded to requests for comment Friday.

The longtime CDC analyst, whose job includes writing descriptions of the CDC's work for the administration's annual spending blueprint, could not recall a previous time when words were banned from budget documents because they were considered controversial.

The reaction of people in the meeting was "incredulous," the analyst said. "It was very much, 'Are you serious? Are you kidding?' "

"In my experience, we've never had any pushback from an ideological standpoint," the analyst said.

News of the ban on certain words hasn't yet spread to the broader group of scientists at the CDC, but it's likely to provoke a backlash, the analyst said. "Our subject matter experts will not lay down quietly - this hasn't trickled down to them yet."

Kelly told the analysts that "certain words" in the CDC's budget drafts were being sent back to the agency for corrections. Three words that had been flagged in these drafts were "vulnerable," "entitlement" and "diversity." Kelly told the group she had been authorized to give verbal instructions about the remaining banned words.

I am so glad the Trump Administration Justice Warriors are giving thier departments a safe space from bieng triggered by diverse LGBT people(sarcasm).

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 5:32 pm

Anyone else feels the creeping chill of fascism?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 6:29 pm

Doubleplusungood. This oldthinker unbellyfeels duckspeak.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

WAR IS PEACE.
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 1:50 pm

I'd have to agree!

Trump really wants to be Big Brother. It's more obvious as time proceeds.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 7:28 am

Yeah, Trump slapping aside PC stuff was the one thing I genuinely liked about him. Disappointing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 8:01 am

I don’t believe the intellectual community should let Trump get away with this.....

This is an example of a regression towards Newspeak.

Next....he’ll ban the term “racism” to describe what is.....racist.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 8:57 am

^^ Kraftie, there's a name for that.

Has anyone mentioned DARVO on this thread or elsewhere in the forum? It's a psychological tactic used by abusers, mostly in the domestic setting, but it also shows up at work and in politics. Think of it as an offensive tactic that relies on brainwashing.

It stands for Deny, And Reverse Victim and Offender.

As in:
--I'm having an affair but YOU CAUSED IT by not making lasagane the way I like (or not buying me that piece of expensive bling immediately when I asked three years ago).
--I see that your colleagues put glue on your chair and pennied you into your office, but you talk loudly and do that flappy thing with your hands sometimes and it upsets them. See, you're doing it again now and upsetting ME.
--I'm not racist! You're racist for saying that!
--I'm not a puppet! You're the puppet! (for saying that).

It is a primitive playground tactic, but few of us seem to be taught either critical thinking or rhetoric anymore, so it is far too effective. It leaves the "victim" gaslighted and questioning their own judgement and self worth, and the abuser dominant, thus preserving the status quo.

When you see someone applying a blatant double standard, or a level of Both-Siderism and false equivalency that seems extreme, it may not be mere hypocrisy; it may be a deliberate tactic. Look where it's being applied, and see if it's being used to further disempower someone, or some group, that's already disempowered. And look who gains from that, and what they gain.

(Edit in: and people of all religious, economic, and political persuasions can and do use this. Just sayin'.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 9:39 am

Drake wrote:
Yeah, Trump slapping aside PC stuff was the one thing I genuinely liked about him. Disappointing.

Same.

But also aren't people in this thead basically equating political correctness with facism?

Maybe the president is giving them a taste of their own medicine.

Not that I approve of such tactics.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 10:24 am

Yep, Esmeralda is exactly right.

Many of the "Alt-Righters" are using the techniques she mentioned. Trump has used those techniques as well.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 10:35 am

^ Hey Kraftie. I can't take credit for the observation - it's been made by multiple people working in the DV and abuse fields, plus a PhD psychologist/CBT therapist who is remarkable: name's George Simon. I've mentioned him before elsewhere on the forums - no, I don't have any financial ties or any other connection, except that he talks sense and helped me figure out a lot of confusing stuff.

He writes about character disorder and manipulativeness. The two books I have are In Sheep's Clothing and Character Disturbance. Also, he has written music! Google "America, My Home" - it's lovely; he wrote it together with his wife!

So I'm just passing on stuff I've learned - hoping it can help someone else. I went through some horrible, dark times - the people who figured this stuff out, and shared what they'd learned, probably saved my life.

(edit in, aww poo, why make you search? Here it is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 10:38 am

One should always remember that Shakespeare didn't create his plays from scratch.

He made great embellishments upon plays and ideas which were present previously.

An idea can be great on the face of it----but it usually requires a proper delivery from a "messenger" in order for it to be palatable to others.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 11:58 am

EzraS wrote:
Drake wrote:

Same.

But also aren't people in this thead basically equating political correctness with facism?

One of Trump's big selling points to his base was that he wasn't a politician. This to me looks like a sign that now he's in their World he's starting to turn into one.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 12:04 pm

EzraS wrote:
Drake wrote:

Same.

I do because political correctness is fascistic or an important symptom of it. Usually in 2010's America it is associated with the left and creeping Marxism. Since a backlash over political correctness and language policing was a factor in Trump's election victory and the high loyalty towered him among a large percentage of his voters I thought it was important to point out his administration is doing the same damn thing for the same snowflake reasons.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 12:37 pm

Most of the words Trump wants to ban are essential usages in objective scientific discourse.

Why anybody would want to ban “diversity”——is something which lies way beyond any sort of common sense.

How is “diversity” any sort of insult—-except for an Alt-Righter?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

It should be apparent that a policy paper or report on disease control is focusing primarily on the word "vulnerable"
The intention seems to be that LGTB people should not be associated with vulnerability if it costs tax payer's money.

Reminds me of the good old days when AIDS was running rampant in African Americans, drug addicts and gays and similar types of "political" feet dragging was happening in public health policy