Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 12:17 pm

The reason I am asking is because many Aspies avoid fire because of motor issues and executive functioning—it’s a safety risk. I light candles and I am comfortable doing it, but many Aspies are not.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 12:20 pm

I light candles, incense sticks and I cook on the stove.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 12:22 pm

I can without difficulty, but then I have no motor issues. I only have occasion to do it a few times a year though.

What does executive functioning have to do with it? Isn't that just about short term memory, multitasking, and things like that? I'm certainly not very good at these things, but I don't see how it's related to lighting a candle...

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 12:46 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
What does executive functioning have to do with it? Isn't that just about short term memory, multitasking, and things like that? I'm certainly not very good at these things, but I don't see how it's related to lighting a candle...

If you lose your focus you could do something wrong.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 1:01 pm

Naked flames indoors make me nervous. As suggested by the OP, clumsiness and executive problems are the main reasons why. I'm capable of doing the dumbest things when I'm the slightest bit flustered. For example, I recently baked a roll of plastic garden bags in the oven because some wires got crossed somewhere when I was thinking about preparing dinner at the same time as unpacking my shopping. The smoke alarm saved the day thankfully, but it's the kind of thing that makes me wary of tempting fate too much!

I've also known three people who had serious house fires over the course of my life, and in one case it was definitely caused by someone falling asleep while candles were still burning in the room. Thankfully, none of my friends were injured (not physically, anyway), but helping a couple of them clear up the aftermath and seeing how much it shook them up really made me realise how terrifying it would be.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 2:10 pm

My mom won't let me. I have a couple of battery-operated candles she gave me instead.

nerdynoob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2017, 3:08 pm

Every time I try I usually panic and blow out the match before I get close to the wick, however I do light campfires with matches and that usually goes well.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2017, 3:35 pm

I do on occasion, but I have to keep them out of reach from the cats, since the oldest one is fond of knocking stuff over with his tail.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Dec 2017, 3:54 pm

I do. Sometimes just to feel better. There is something calming in candlelight.
Sometimes I get a match and play with the fire - always over something ceramic.
I make campfires and can cook meals on them.
My parents have a fireplace at home and it's lovely to be there.
But I have no motor skill issues (except for shaky hands), nor OCD.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2017, 4:34 pm

I have a bit of a fear of fire so I couldn't bring myself to click a lighter or strike a match, let alone light a candle.
Scented candles smell nice, though. My mum often lights one in the evening :)

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 6:34 pm

I find candles very soothing. I've always been fascinated with fire and was very reckless with it in my early teens. My son, also ASD, has fewer food issues when we eat by candlelight. We bought him one of those fake fireplaces, and he'll sit by it for hours.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 8:01 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
The reason I am asking is because many Aspies avoid fire because of motor issues and executive functioning—it’s a safety risk.

This. Plus they would be very distracting.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 8:59 pm

I've never lit a candle in my life. I'm scared of fire. I can't even toast a marshmallow.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2017, 9:08 pm

I'm not allowed to have fire.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 9:13 pm

I light more than candles I smoke cigarettes and cannabis, but also incense and have made camp-fires, of course fire makes me a bit nervous it can burn everything but I also like to look at it well and if you're camping and its chilly it makes things warmer as well as providing some light. I like to throw pine-cones into campfires to because they crackle a lot.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 9:56 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Naked flames indoors make me nervous. As suggested by the OP, clumsiness and executive problems are the main reasons why. I'm capable of doing the dumbest things when I'm the slightest bit flustered. For example, I recently baked a roll of plastic garden bags in the oven because some wires got crossed somewhere when I was thinking about preparing dinner at the same time as unpacking my shopping. The smoke alarm saved the day thankfully, but it's the kind of thing that makes me wary of tempting fate too much!

I've also known three people who had serious house fires over the course of my life, and in one case it was definitely caused by someone falling asleep while candles were still burning in the room. Thankfully, none of my friends were injured (not physically, anyway), but helping a couple of them clear up the aftermath and seeing how much it shook them up really made me realise how terrifying it would be.

Neurotypicals can make mistakes like that too. It doesn't have to be limited to autism. Having respect for opened flames in your home isn't a bad thing, though.