Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Moleculeman
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2017, 3:37 am

Hello friends. I am writing this because I have a skill which I was wondering if anyone shared. Since from about the age of 12, I have had the ability to remember complex organic molecules after only seeing them once for a short period of time. I now have a sort of database of molecules in my head. It comes very naturally to me, I don't even need to try and remember them after seeing them, it's like the image just stays in my head. If anyone else experiences this or something similar, it would be interesting to know.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 4:03 am

I have the feeling you could remember other things eidetically, as well.

Moleculeman
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2017, 4:36 am

auntblabby wrote:

Yeah I think I could, it just manifested as molecules because I have an extreme obsession with them

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 4:38 am

Moleculeman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Yeah I think I could, it just manifested as molecules because I have an extreme obsession with them

anything else give you this same feeling?

Moleculeman
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2017, 4:47 am

auntblabby wrote:
Moleculeman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

anything else give you this same feeling?

Yeah, I also got very obsessed with the number of PI and remembered it to the 100th digit in about 10 minutes a few years ago but I can still remember it. I can also solve 2x2 rubiks cubes blindfolded after inspecting them

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 4:50 am

you have a gift. the only time something like that has ever happened to me, was when in the 7th grade, in the middle of the night before a book report was due, I skimmed through "the light in the forest" in about 2 hours of concentration, I am a slow reader so normally those 200 pages would have required a week of 8-hours-per-day reading. but for a few weeks afterwards, I remembered every major word and where those major words were at.

Moleculeman
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2017, 5:00 am

My memory for things that I am not interested in is actually really bad, like names and dates and things like that, but my memory for my interests/obsessions is really good.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 5:05 am

mee too. :| I can't count the number of times that somebody in the grocery store greeted me by name and chatted me up, and I had absolutely NO idea who in blazes they were or where i'd met them before. :oops:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 12:32 pm

What is the most complex molecule you've been able to memorize?

Moleculeman
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2017, 7:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What is the most complex molecule you've been able to memorize?

I know the whole amino acid sequence for ghrelin so that's the longest. The most complex is between alpha-amanitin, turbocuraine or strychnine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 8:10 pm

That's pretty good! LOL

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 9:16 pm

Mine ends up mainly with handicrafts. :lol: It had been that way before I was 6, and it gets increasingly complex overtime.

Same with several forms of arts -- writing, painting, music, mosaic, drawing, etc... Except, I don't have enough skills of means of performing or physically replicating it. It's like I could sense blueprints or recipes, yet I couldn't decipher them all, or that I don't have the skills, tools, and enough motivation for it.

The whole thing happened to be a transferable skill if you figured how to make formal abstract thoughts into something more fluid. It helped with executive functioning and problem solving overall.
It could also apply with other domains if you figure it out well. It could be STEM, it could be outside of it too.

The main problem I have is that I don't know what each 'moves', 'stitches', 'concepts of', other techniques -- any terms are called. From as trivial as dates and numbers, to technical and specific terms. I only try and use it if I could help it. I would rather remember people's faces and their actions than their names. If they said something, I'd remember sentences with lines of synonyms than exact words itself. :|
As for others, I don't particularly know it's maker's name, when it was first done, what the whole thing is called, or how to describe the whole process. Words aren't my thing, so I rarely ever talk about my special interests.
I just prefer doing, thinking, or know how to it than remembering what it is in a rote like sense...
Memory isn't my emphasis, but something else... I don't know what it is called, but it had something to do with processing and perception somehow. Something abstract and vague...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 11:29 pm

In a partial sense, you’re describing “muscle memory,” I believe.

Moleculeman
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2017, 5:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's pretty good! LOL

Thank you, remembering ghrelin was not quite as easy as the rest, it did not come too naturally. With the smaller complex molecules though it is like I take a snapshot of it in my head and then I just remember it. My memory is also getting better and better because I learn at least 4 new molecules a day.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:46 am

If you remember molecules, you'll probably be good at memorizing planetary systems out in space, too.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2017, 4:42 pm

Are you also good at memorizing other things?
Because sometimes, people with autism may be good at memorizing a certain type of thing due to their passion.

Like, it took me 2 hours to memorize 151 Pokemon names in Japanese, and to recite them in order.
Because I was really obsessed.
I'm also good at memorizing Latin names of animals.
But I'm terrible at memorizing how to write Chinese characters.