Why do Americans live in cold states?

Page 2 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2017, 7:21 pm

I cannot understand why Americans choose to live in a hot, wet, stormy hell hole like Florida, when they could move to a cool state like Alaska.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 2:13 am

we live places because we choose to, because we were born here, because we have no other choice.

not sure how the hell else we're suppose to answer that "question".

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 10:40 am

I liked moving. I do not miss living in the South! Sure, it never got cold, but there was no fall season, no pretty leaves; lots of partying and craziness all over town; summer weather above 32 degrees Celsius; all the streets smelled like stale beer; lots of people smoked. It wasn’t pretty.

I’m teaching myself the Metric System so I can get a triple citizenship in 3 countries—the USA, the UK, and Canada. And I might move to Michigan in the USA.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Dec 2017, 2:20 pm

i'm from Louisiana which is very hot & humid for half the year & I hated it. I live in Vermont now cuz my girlfriend's from here & I felt very trapped living with my parents. Vermont's also ALOT more progressive which I like. I do hate the cold winters here like how it's been below freezing for a few days but last night my parents told me how they've been pushing 80 all week & having high humidity with it & then I didn't feel as bad about the cold weather here.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 2:53 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
I cannot understand why Americans choose to live in parts of America that have terrible winters, when they could live in a warm state like Florida or Hawaii? Do any of you live in somewhere like Chicago, Seattle or New Jersey etc? If so why not move?

I live in the Seattle area and I love it. But winters here aren't harsh. It rarely gets cold enough to snow.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2017, 3:03 pm

I say to this, Why do Americans live in warm states? In Georgia, we have 9 months of summer and 2.5 to 3 months of autumn. Ocassionally we will get half a month of actual winter. I’ve been to Alaska during June, it was almost equivalent to our ‘winter’ but people were actually wearing shorts and thin, short sleeve shirts. I for one, am going to live in a far north state as soon as I can get away from hot humid Georgia. I would even settle for Kentucky.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 2:22 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

win.rar

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 9:44 am

Hey, we landed a man on the moon. We can live anywhere we want. Some people live for a White Christmas, which is having snow on the ground on Christmas.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 4:28 pm

as I grow older I am more amenable to the heat of places like texas and AZ and florida and such, but there are cultural barriers that are impassible. i've noticed that southerners in general don't appreciate effeminate long-haired old outliers such as myself, conformity is much more a valued thing in the warmer places [outside of California at least].

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 5:25 pm

Aye, some dont really have a choice in the matter.

I live in northern Illinois, which I *loathe*, because that's where I was born, that's where my family is, and I cant live on my own (or I'd have left a long time ago). This place has no redeeming values whatsoever and Iv'e hated every square inch of it for as long as I can remember.

It's currently winter here, and the blazing hatred for it reaches incomprehensible levels. I'm convinced that the solution is napalm. Lots of it.

As such, I travel as much as conceivably possible. The places I go to (for conventions usually) arent necessarily warm, but they also arent here, so that works out at least as a way to get away.

On the plus side though my family recently bought a place down in Florida on an island nobody seems to have ever heard of, so whenever possible, can go down there instead. It's quiet, it's always warm, and it's a small place... no matter where on it you are, the water is within walking distance. The only downside is that when I say it's a small place, I mean it. It seems to mostly be used for retired people, and tourists, so there isnt actually all that much there in terms of places to go. Hell, there's ONE grocery store. If you want to go to any more major locations, it's a 35-minute trip down The Bridge with the name I cant remember. Takes forever. Fine by me though. Not sure why I'd want to go from "quiet" to "crowded and annoying" all that often when down there anyway.

I'd just be down there pretty much all the time, but.... again, dont have a choice in the matter.

Quote:
i've noticed that southerners in general don't appreciate effeminate long-haired old outliers such as myself, conformity is much more a valued thing in the warmer places [outside of California at least].

What does this mean? I havent encountered anything like this anywhere down south myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:10 pm

Misery wrote:
Quote:
i've noticed that southerners in general don't appreciate effeminate long-haired old outliers such as myself, conformity is much more a valued thing in the warmer places [outside of California at least].

What does this mean? I haven't encountered anything like this anywhere down south myself.

that was my experience in AZ and a few other places, I was harassed by some yahoos, given the cold shoulder by others. I just walked in one store, and the owner pointed out "we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody." I got the message and left.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:23 pm

I noticed it more in the deep South (gulf coast) than the southwest. Deep South is weird. I like the place but can't deal with the culture.
I'm also from northern Illinois, and hope that I don't ever have to go through another winter there.
Pretty happy with northern California. Not too cold, not too hot, can deal with the culture, can deal with the rain.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:25 pm

i'd have long ago moved to California but for the steep cost of living, and crowding.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:32 pm

There's quite a bit of variation throughout the state, culturally, environmentally, economically.
Where I'm at isn't really that crowded. It can be ridiculously expensive, but it's possible to find a place pretty cheap. You kind of have to know people or get lucky, though. And it's changing here, and not in a good way. Not sure what it's going to be like in a few years, really sad but I'm thinking about leaving the area because of it.
But yeah, the coast can be pretty expensive, I guess. Inland can be really cheap, but it's like a different country.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:36 pm

where I live [south Puget sound] is the most temperate and affordable combination I could find, plus it is close to where I was born and the remains of my family are here, and within a day's drive of the ocean or walking distance to the Sound. south of here, or north of here, or east of here, gets lots more crowded and expen$$$$ive.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:41 pm

I'm still hoping someone around here will let me use an acre or so and build a little shack.

Never made it that far north yet. Got to the South edge of Portland once but turned around and got sucked back into the norhum vortex.
I really just kind of crash landed here ten years ago and somehow made it work for a while. Found an amazing martial arts teacher here.
Long story.