Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 3:08 am

Does anyone else here have this?

I'm wondering if anyone wanted to chat to me about your struggles. I've never met another person with BPD, but it would be nice to talk to someone who would be more inclined to understand why I am the way I am.

What is the worst part about it for you?

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2018, 3:26 am

I find it really interesting that women (feminine men) are more likely to be diagnosed with bpd or eupd.

From what I've seen in myself and friends, it's normally a combination of some kind of abuse and our eagerness to still want to fit into society and have relationships. So it often feels like a push and pull.

I could really like someone but when it gets to a certain level of intensity I would disappear because the feelings of vulnerability were too great.

It would be nice to see what other women say

Miss_Skitty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jan 2018, 3:48 pm

Yep, my diagnoses are High Functioning Autism and Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder :P

I would say the worst symptom of EUPD/BPD for me is the mood swings and how intensely I can feel emotions.

If you’d like to chat then feel free to drop me a PM :) It’s always nice to meet people who relate to what you’re going through

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 4:59 pm

Thanks for responding. I’m grateful to find some people that I can hopefully connect with. I’ll respond properly here when I’m on my PC.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:37 pm

Do you guys have Facebook? I won’t be using this site much anymore and would like to stay in touch.

Miss_Skitty

11 Jan 2018, 8:22 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Do you guys have Facebook? I won’t be using this site much anymore and would like to stay in touch.

Yes and Skype :) I can PM you them if you like

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:35 pm

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I'm looking for some advice from anyone with BPD, hoping you nice folks might be able to help.

My (supposedly NT) daughter, who is 14 years old, has been having a lot of difficulties over the last 2 years, more than you'd expect from normal teenage issues, and it's just occurred to me that she fits the profile of BPD.

She's always been extremely emotional, has been having temper flare-ups her whole life, but then she started cutting herself, she took a paracetomol overdose which landed her in hospital for 3 days, and became borderline anorexic. With care and counselling she seemed to settle for a while (and started eating more, thank goodness), but recently I changed her to another school and she's having trouble coping with that and the emotions are all coming out again. I seem to bear the brunt of it and am struggling with her swings from clinginess and needing validation to anger and verbal abuse, and her lack of consideration for my own needs and feelings. It doesn't help that I have ASD and great difficulty dealing with emotions, mine or others.

So I guess I just want to know if that sounds like BPD? I actually showed her a list of BPD symptoms and she agreed with nearly all of them, but I don't want to jump to conclusions because I know 14 can be a difficult age for girls, and this has been a stressful time and I could just be panicking.

If, after consideration, I still think it may be BPD, do you think I should encourage her to seek a professional diagnosis? What are your experiences - did having a diagnosis help? Did therapy help?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 8:22 pm

I have BPD and they dont typically diagnose those under 17 with it, why I dont know. The treatment seems to be DBT regardless. I found a mix of CBT, DBT, ACT and mindfulness to help me personally.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 12:42 am

Thanks for the response, Noca.
Possibly I could arrange therapy such as DBT for her, anyway, but not sure if we'd get any Medicare rebate without a diagnosis and a referral, so it's going to be expensive.
Still wondering if I'm just tilting at windmills and this is only 14-year-old angst.
Knowing me, I'll probably take the easy way forward, assume the latter and do nothing until she's in complete crisis.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 5:16 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
Thanks for the response, Noca.
Possibly I could arrange therapy such as DBT for her, anyway, but not sure if we'd get any Medicare rebate without a diagnosis and a referral, so it's going to be expensive.
Still wondering if I'm just tilting at windmills and this is only 14-year-old angst.
Knowing me, I'll probably take the easy way forward, assume the latter and do nothing until she's in complete crisis.
You could always use DBT workbooks and youtube videos you can find for free, learn it yourself and teach yout daughter. Either way DBT is where you gotta start.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:40 am

That's a good idea, thank you.
I've ordered some books on BPD and how to deal with it, hopefully they'll shed some light.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 6:30 am

My girlfriend has BPD and she has brought it to light that I'm Aspie. We have triggered each other loads, but things are improving. I can't give her much emotional support so she has had to practice her DBT skills and she's getting better really rapidly as a result. DBT has been incredible for her recovery.
MBT (mentalisation based therapy) sounds really good too, it's a newer therapy which is harder to find. There is a book available, "Mentalization Based Treatment for Personality Disorders: A Practical Guide". I haven't read it but I it may be of help if DBT isn't available.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 7:20 am

Many thanks, it's good to know that therapy actually helps, gives me hope.
I hadn't heard of MBT before, I'll look that up as well.