Can't figure out a career, thinking electricians Union

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BaneBear
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2018, 10:13 am

So I don't wanna go back to college as most jobs want bachelors degrees, I got an associates in accounting but I honestly skimmed my way through college to get it so I hardly know much. The electricians union is good because my dad is in another union and has connections. Plus I don't have to go to school for ages, nor do I have to pay insane amounts of money on school unlike college

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 10:43 am

If you like working with your hands, are meticulous and detail-oriented, like the technical aspect, are fairly good at math, and are a self-starter who can work independently as well as a team member, that sounds like a really good opportunity; especially if it leads to a union card.
Lots of people with batchelor's degrees are delivering pizzas and flipping burgers, but nobody does anything if the lights go out.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 7:37 pm

I highly recommend the trades over college. For one degrees are over saturated and for the most part, don't pay all that well if you do get a job in the field (some exceptions, sure). Blue collar jobs can and do pay surprisingly well. Electricians being one of them. You can also learn on the job, while getting paid. If you truly want to make a crap ton of money and want to enjoy a little risk. Get into power line maintenance, more specifically helicopter line maintenance. This usually done in remote locations where it can be difficult to get to with trucks. You will be working with live power lines while hanging from a helicopter. But the pay is very good, $200-300,000 a year if you are willing to put in the hours. If not and you want to be a regular electrician with way less risk. My company pays between $25-30 per hour as an example (non union, local union may pay more)

I am not a lineman, but I have family who works in this specific industry... I work in a different skilled trade.