Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2018, 9:08 am

:( :( :(

I've never once dieted in my entire life, never really had to, always were skinny. But since I hit 30 I'm really struggling to keep it under control. I've always eaten crap - sweets, fatty stuff, cake... omg cake!! I've been told by my doc that i have high cholesterol (the bad bit). I think the standard norm is 5. something and mine is like 7. something.

So i'm trying. Due to my working commute, i'm able to fit 50mins of walking into my routine 5 days a week. I'm trying to monitor what i eat - snacking on fruit or nuts instead, i have one belvita oaty thing for breakfast to help with mid morning hunger (doesn't help). Trying to eat dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate and not eat it so often. I have a low calorie noodle pot thing for lunch and I have a habit of not having anything for tea apart from a bowl of cheerios or something.

I am crying out for sugary sweet goodness... oh it's so bad!!

Please give me cake, i'm dying over here! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 2:25 am

Your diet sounds kind of unhealthy, to be honest.
Maybe you need to eat more filling meals so that you don't feel the need to snack?
I'm thinking breakfast with a mix of carbs and protein, such as toast and egg, or beans on toast;
then include some low-fat or "healthy fat" protein food at lunch (nuts, tuna/oily fish, beans, mushrooms, etc);
and including plenty of vegetables with your dinner - which should be a full, balanced meal - just not too large on portion size.
Try that, and see how you go.

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2018, 3:19 am

I don't really have time for any kind of cooked breakfast, so I usually stick to the breakfast bars.

The past two days though I've changed my tactic in allowing myself one thing to indulge in once a day. Previously I had lost no weight at all, but within the past two days on this new tactic I've lost 2kg and have also felt the need to snack less because I know I can have something I crave later :)

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 3:07 am

Dark chocolate is actually extremely calorie dense, so are nuts.

I would be careful with those foods while trying to lose weight.

You don't need to avoid cake, you need to consume less calories than you expend. I would recommend using something like myfitnesspal, to keep track. Once you've been using it for a while, you will have much greater knowledge as far as calorie density of different foods go, and you will be much more capable of maintaining/losing/gaining weight using your intuition.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 4:36 pm

The trouble is the processed food. The combination of calorie-density and lack of natural fibre means you won't feel full enough for long enough to stick to the diet. You've got to get more fresh foods and vegetables into your meals to get the fullness without the extra calories.

Actually I just remembered a trick that might help - try avoiding dry food and instead eat meals as soups or stews. They will fill you up better.

Cook them yourself if you can - a stew can be made in bulk and frozen in individual portions can last several meals.