Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2018, 9:43 pm

Psychosis is not a mental disorder. It's something that can happen to anyone when they're under pressure, either willingly or from external pressures, you do not need to have a MH disorder to experience psychosis

I see it as a way for your mind to cope under pressure. It's easier to experience psychosis if you are very creative or have a strong imagination. You could also feel like you're experiencing psychosis if you have a problem with your vision or hearing or if they are just generally more sensitive than the average population's. Some people experience it when falling asleep even.

Schizophrenia is not psychosis.
Psychosis does not mean you're losing your mind it just means your senses are under pressure

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 10:05 pm

Goldilocks wrote:
Psychosis is not a mental disorder. It's something that can happen to anyone when they're under pressure, either willingly or from external pressures, you do not need to have a MH disorder to experience psychosis

I see it as a way for your mind to cope under pressure. It's easier to experience psychosis if you are very creative or have a strong imagination. You could also feel like you're experiencing psychosis if you have a problem with your vision or hearing or if they are just generally more sensitive than the average population's. Some people experience it when falling asleep even.

Schizophrenia is not psychosis.
Psychosis does not mean you're losing your mind it just means your senses are under pressure

Psychosis is an organic brain disorder. It can't be diagnosed ("Psychosis Disorder"), true, but that does not mean it is not a disorder or part of other disorders ("Psychotic Disorder NOS").

Schizophrenia may or may not include psychosis, but in many cases it does.

I don't agree with the notion that hallucinations and delusions are a result of senses being under pressure, but we can have different opinions.

Hallucinations when falling asleep are known as hypnagogic hallucinations and are completely typical as the brain prepares to enter a state of sleep/dreaming.

I agree with the fact that some people may confuse sensory issues and psychosis, such as hearing really small sounds like watches that others with less acute senses may not notice, but I disagree with the fact that having a big imagination puts you at greater susceptibility to developing psychosis.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Jay1498
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2018, 10:24 pm

I have to agree with stampy here! Although "psychosis" in itself is not a disorder, it is a symptom of some pretty serious mental disorders, including Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, Psychotic Depression, Psychotic Disorder NOS etc...