Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 9:56 am

I think what they're looking for is a release of liability. In California it's a perforated tear off part of the title, but is also available on the dmv's website (for free).
Although it could be different in Oregon.
I don't think it's a big deal though.
I think that either the DMV or your insurance company should have the VIN number and license plate number, and as long as you're able to provide identification and explain why you need it, either one should provide you with that.
You should go to the DMV, take any mail or paperwork you've gotten from them, and be sure to start by asking for help to sort this out.
They'll be able to help you figure it out.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In essence, he didn’t even commit a traffic violation, and he, at first, acted like he committed a misdemeanor.

Yep, Sly, I would go down to the DMV, and explain the situation. I would also talk to traffic lawyers online, or in person. And when you talk to them online, edit what you wrote.

Don’t procrastinate, even if this is a hassle.

If you procrastinate, and you get fined, interest will accumulate the longer you don’t pay the fine. It’s also not good to have outstanding fines on your record.

You actually, at this point, have not even committed anything.

Go down to the DMV.

I have anxiety, and worse case scenario of this is jail tim if I fail to pay the court fine.

I’m going to diwn Tuesday as I work Monday and can’t miss anymore days.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:57 pm

Jail is for those who don’t pay for months—if at all.

You haven’t technically “done anything” yet.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:58 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
I think what they're looking for is a release of liability. In California it's a perforated tear off part of the title, but is also available on the dmv's website (for free).
Although it could be different in Oregon.
I don't think it's a big deal though.
I think that either the DMV or your insurance company should have the VIN number and license plate number, and as long as you're able to provide identification and explain why you need it, either one should provide you with that.
You should go to the DMV, take any mail or paperwork you've gotten from them, and be sure to start by asking for help to sort this out.
They'll be able to help you figure it out.

See I don’t have and haven’t had an insurance company in 2 1/2 years. So I don’t even remember who it was with and surely by now they erased my file. And the car is now in his name. Pretty sure the dmv can just give out people’s car info to non owners.
But yes I’m just going habe to go down and say I sold it last week and didn’t know I had to report it and don’t have the plate number.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Jail is for those who don’t pay for months—if at all.

You haven’t technically “done anything” yet.

Dont they either say you pay the fine or jail at the court hearing?
Most fines say $___ or ____ years and jail.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 2:06 pm

If a person can’t pay/is found indigent, they put a “judgment” on the person which affects the credit report.

They would give you at least a couple of months to pay. Many times more than six months. I’ve seen it take years.

They might put you in jail should you fail to appear for a court date, and get a “bench warrant.” And then fail to appear for a long time. Jails are full these days.

Just go down to the DMV. See what they’ll say. It could very well be that they won’t charge you with anything.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 2:10 pm

I work in the NYC courts, and I’ve read about what takes place in other states.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 7:52 pm

sly279 wrote:
He won’t tell me the plate and just says nothing will happen. On top of it he’s being really pushy about comover Tomorrow so his friend can buy my sisters old car.

I do t understand why he’s against me reporting it as sold if he did the title transfer.

I guess I’ll have to go down to the dmv with the info I have and says I have the vin but not the plate number. Tell them the day he told me 1/29 and just wait to be fined or get s court date :(

I’m so utterly done with anything to do with car owner ship. Every part of owning a car is horrible from buyin it to selling it.

This guy sounds like a bad sort. As I mentioned earlier, the reason why he tells you not to notify the DMV is because that makes YOU responsible for whatever HE happens to do with that car you sold him: like get in an accident, commit a crime, etc.
It is essential that you get to the DMV and tell them that you sold it, then realized you didn't record the license plate. Please tell them that you haven't driven the car in however many years it's been. I think with at least the VIN number you should be fine. No two vehicles have the same VIN. They will probably find the license plate info for you. Do not mention the missing bill of sale date but having that paper with you might prove helpful. Be as calm as you can muster and don't mention fines or jail or any such things. I really want to know how this turns out.
I know its frustrating but its important to get your name off the record as owning that vehicle or it could come back to haunt you.
Also, I would strongly advise against having any further association with the buyer until he sends you a pic of your license plate. But if he is as much of a creep as he seems, he may send you false info. He seems like he is just trying to take advantage of a good deal with your sister's car as well. Save the texts you sent requesting the plate info if you want to show them at the DMV.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:59 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Chronos wrote:
This is like claiming you might get the death penalty for committing a misdemeanor.

Is this an autistic trait , an anxiety issue or something else ?

Depression/anxiety.. making mountains out of molehills. Seeing not only the negative, but assuming the absolute worst by extremely exaggerating the reality of the situation. Whether it's more depression or anxiety I can't recall, but no matter which way you slice it it's a distorted mental perception of reality that's magnifying the problem in his own mind.

Sly, no one goes to jail for that. Worst case they make you pay a fine. Just go report the sale on Tuesday and relax.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 10:03 am

In other words, Sly,

THERE'S NO CHANCE YOU WILL GO TO JAIL.

If you put this off, then the possibility increases (though it's still quite, quite minimal).

If you could, get somebody to go with you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 12:10 pm

It could be the above, or it could be that Sly doesn’t know the legal system.

People tend to get anxious about what they don’t know.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 3:35 pm

I had to scrap my first car, and it was just after the law here changed on this so nobody told me I had to inform on a scrapped car. The letter said either I paid £150 or I risked going to court and a £1000 fine and my Dad told me not to pay because I would probably get away with it because the law was new. I paid it though because I didn't want to risk it. I knew I would be an anxious wreck otherwise :( .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 6:42 pm

That was smart, Fluffy.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 6:51 pm

sly279 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
This is like claiming you might get the death penalty for committing a misdemeanor.

I failed to pay my car registration for three years because the car was inoperable but was never put in non-op. I had stopped receiving notices from the DMV because the first year, I had paid the registration but never completed it by getting a smog certificate, and the "pending registration" status prevented the registration renewal notices from being sent out the years after. When I had to get the car running again, the DMV told me I had to pay a few hundred dollars. I politely explained to the clerk what had happened explained the car hadn't been on the road for those years. She was very sympathetic to the situation and removed as many fees as the system would let her, reducing the amount I owed by a few hundred dollars.

You might be able to clear the issue up just by going to the DMV in person and talking to someone. If you still have to pay fines to the DMV, you can make payment arrangements. You may also be able to contest it in court and make the judge aware of your financial situation but if you have to pay it you may be able to make payment arrangements still.

I hope so. It’s just stupid, the buyer gets 30 days to report it and only fined $25 for failure to do so. The seller has only 10 days and is then sent to court and fined $250 for failure to report the sell. Why is it so unfairly balanced? So I get the same violation as if I speed and fined but the buyer only has to pay $25 fine 0.o

Probably to limit scams and tax evasion. The seller is the recipient of the funds and require the selling to report quickly lessens the chance they will disappear with the money and their tax obligations and leave the buyer with a lemon. Also it can protect the seller if the buyer does something like use the car in a crime.

sly279 wrote:
Here if you don’t pay your registration they just keep track and when you go to renew it it cost the same for as if you’d had it but backdated to when it was due. So if it’s a year later you pay for two years and only get one years worth.

See that worries me too. My sister was charged the same for failure to stop at a stop sign and had to pay $50 each month, I can’t afford $50 so I’d have to take it out of my savings, seems I’m just never meant to have a savings. The judge can no longer wipe it away. They use to be able to discharge the fine but now they have to charge at least the min fine. So people in Salem thought it was unfair nice judges in some area would do it and that mean judges in others wouldn’t so their solution was to make it so nice judges can’t be nice anymore. Or really to make sure salem gets its money.

I shouldn’t just scrapped the car. Instead I did this guy a favor. He considers me s friend. But I don’t get why he’s against giving me the plate number, unless he hasn’t transferred it and is up to shady stuff. As if he isn’t up to something then me reporting the sale wouldn’t do anything

I don't do shady stuff and if someone is a "friend" who expects me to go along with their shady stuff, then they are not my friend and I am not theirs.

Fulfill your legal obligation to report and if you can't because he won't give you the information you need, let the DMV know and see what they advise to do.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:47 pm

I doubt the guy is planning on using it as a getaway car in sly's name. He probably just doesn't want to spend a penny registering it until he gets it in good running order. Either way, all sly has to do is go file the paperwork with as much information as he can provide and then his part is done and who cares what the buyer does or doesn't do. End of non-problem that never in a million years would have resulted in sly going to jail.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 10:49 pm

Hey Sly,

Did you go down to Motor Vehicles, and deal with this?