Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 5:05 pm

Is anyone excited by the Falcon Heavy launch/landing? It seems a really big step in Elon Musk's plan to reign over Mars.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 5:50 pm

Of course I am! I was actually quite nervous.

Real_Avillemedia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2018, 7:13 am

I don't get what's the point in sending the car to space ?

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 11:44 am

MisterSpock wrote:
Is anyone excited by the Falcon Heavy launch/landing? It seems a really big step in Elon Musk's plan to reign over Mars.

Elon Has no idea what he is doing.

Mars doesn't have an atmosphere capable of supporting earth's life forms because it doesn't even have enough gravity to sustain a thick atmosphere.

Mars also has a very weak magnetic field, so it is constantly bombarded by cosmic rays. Meanwhile, the moon is still within Earth's magnetic field. It's hard to predict what will happen to a human being who travels outside of earth's magnetic field ... but we have already observed the harmful effects of cosmic radiation on machines.

In my opinion, Musk is a typical sci-fi nerd who has a very limited understanding of actual science.

In fact, that's one of the biggest problems with "nerd culture" nowadays. Lots of self-proclaimed nerds don't know the difference between science fiction and reality.

99.99% of "science fiction" is actually pseudoscientific fantasy. Just ask any actual scientist.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 12:38 pm

Real_Avillemedia wrote:

It's not about the payload. That's just marketing - as well as him risking one of his prized possessions blowing up instead of drifting endlessly. Plus it's just his humour, thinking what an alien life form might think of finding a car and a crash test dummy someday.

It's about a rocket that can lift 3x the amount of weight of the previous record holder.. a rocket that's also reusable.. a rocket that costs $90M to launch 3x the mass as a rocket that costs $1.1B to launch.. that's less than 1/30th the price per kg launched off the planet - and that makes space exploration 30x more accessible than it ever was. This is HUGE news in terms of space race stuff for humans.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 8:52 pm

The most significant thing of this is, was he able to prove the earth is round?

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 8:58 pm

EzraS wrote:
The most significant thing of this is, was he able to prove the earth is round?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 9:10 pm

LIVE: Starman Driving in Space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3niFzo5VLI

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 10:14 pm

Real_Avillemedia wrote:

No one would risk putting a satellite or a probe worth hundred of millions on a test flight; and yet to test on realistic conditions, the rocket need a load; so they may as well put that car as a marketing stunt, rather that some other useless load.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 5:45 am

Tollorin wrote:
Real_Avillemedia wrote:

No one would risk putting a satellite or a probe worth hundred of millions on a test flight; and yet to test on realistic conditions, the rocket need a load; so they may as well put that car as a marketing stunt, rather that some other useless load.

You should be happy about that, he's marketing the pollution free Tesla.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2018, 7:23 am

I'm actually not as excited about the possible Mars colonisation as I am about affordable launchs.
Come on, if any unit the size of my university or a collaboration of a few units this size could afford an interplanetary probe – how much new knowledge we will collect! There is still so much to learn!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 8:17 am

Apparently a billionaire businessman can get things done 10 times cheaper than the government. If only we had one as president. Hey, wait a minute....

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2018, 10:17 am

EzraS wrote:
Apparently a billionaire businessman can get things done 10 times cheaper than the government. If only we had one as president. Hey, wait a minute....

lol :D
It's not about a person of a millionaire, it's about the fact that private enterprises are governed by different rules than countries.
A private person, even a millionaire, can take risks a country should never take. If the plans fail, a millionaire loses, a company falls apart, maybe people lose jobs, maybe someone goes to jail. But no anarchy, no wars.

Okay, we could step back to patrimonial monarchy, when kings took bold risks. Would we like to?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 12:42 pm

EzraS wrote:

Elon Musk stated before lauch that he thought it had a 50/50 chance of working, I know that he was probably being dramatic, but let's just take him at is hord for the moment.

NASA has an upper risk limit of about 2% I think (admittedly, I might have got this from The Martian). A nationally funded organisation has issues with only a 98% certainty of success. SpaceX are willing to launch with a 50% certainty of success. I imagine a lot of money is spent getting that 50% up to a 99%.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 1:39 pm

mere diversions from his seriously troubled electric car venture.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 7:41 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
mere diversions from his seriously troubled electric car venture.

Troubled doesn't mean doomed. Obviously they have the demand as people put down deposits on cars. Now it's just a production/delivery problem. Pretty common. IMO it'll just take a little longer to deliver cars and that's about the end of it. Then once backorders are cleared, things will smooth out.