I'm Very skilled with computers, but don't know what job

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ibmat5170
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2018, 11:41 am

I am very skilled with computers. I have been around Desktop computers my whole life and have done hardware replacement on desktop computers since i was 15. I keep saying desktop, because laptops do not follow a standard in which they are assembled, every model of laptop is different, some don't even have replaceable parts. Programming does not interest me, it is too much like math. Anything math related really causes me to get frustrated and angry. I want a job replacing hardware inside of desktop computers or building desktops but these are hard to find and seem to be going away. A lot of people use YouTube to fix their own computers now and the "Gravy Train" that existed throughout the 80s, 90s, and very early 2000s has seemed to dry up. One can no longer coast through life with a phillips screwdriver charging $350 for hard drive replacements that cost him $80. I am 33 years old and I once had a job repairing desktops but it was a small business and I got laid off when the company folded. I collected 26 weeks of unemployment at $244 a week then Obama offered extended uneployment and I was able to collect that. I have now been without a steady job for a while and I have no degree. The computer skills I have, I taught myself. Computers interest me a lot, I really enjoy the hardware assembly part, and Installing Windows, and stuff like that. Programming, web design, SQL Databases, Cloud Technology, computer security, do NOT interest me.
Ideally I want a job where physical work is little to none. I won't do lifting, I won't be responsible for money like a cashier, I want a desk job. Limited talking on the phone is okay, but if it is computer support, its easier for me to just do what needs to be done myself rather than listen to someone explain a problem and then have to verbalize how to fix it.
I really want a job for money but also to keep my wife happy.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2018, 12:57 pm

I fixed several notebooks (most often I changed broken display). You can find service manual for notebook type and follow the service manual, it isn't hard, if you are skilled with computers. Or you can learn too fix mobile phones, replace display on smartphone. There are still a lot of people who don't fix the computer or some other device themselves, maybe you can learn fix notebooks and phoness too and start doing your business.

Looked you at the offers of some e-shops as Alzashop? Some e-shop like alzashop in my country offers, that you can choose parts and they set up the computer. They should have employees for this.

Or you can try computer support. In my job if user has some problem or request, he creates ticket in system. If i don't underestand what a problem user has, or if I need more info, i can call him and ask or write e-mail or use chat.
Communicating with users about the problem isn't so hard for me, it has a clear structure. If I don't have ticket, I ask it, because I shouldn't solve it without ticket. If in ticket aren't all necessary information, I ask what I need know for solving this problem. When I solve it, i describe solution in ticket. When I am not sure, if my solution help, I describe it in chat, e-mail or I try explain it by phone and ask if it helped. Communication with other colleges is worse for me than user support. I don't hardware support, but there may be no such difference.

My cousin work as hardware tester.