Post here whenever you get caught stimming

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2018, 3:35 pm

I decided to make this after someone made a comment on my stimming, someone I don’t exactly want to see me stimming (might as well be a stranger). I was looking out the window while rhythmically flapping my hands against each other. I was made aware of this when my 21 year old cousin said “you playing some imaginary drums or bongos?”. He said it partially with curiosity but mostly jokingly. I got embarrassed and made myself stop, just responding :oops: “oh, uh... no I was just... I was... yeah...”. Well it was embarrassing but if anyone experiences something like this, feel free to post your experience here. Past experiences welcome. :D

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2018, 1:38 pm

Well, my favorite stim is jumping, but I only do it when I’m alone in my room, for obvious reasons. However, all my family can hear me jump, and my siblings laugh at me because of that. They ask me why I do it, and I don’t have an answer to that, other than a sudden urge and need to move and release some energy. It’s very embarrassing.

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2018, 2:37 pm

My mom is the only one who makes comments. She asks me not to snap fingers and not to whistle. So I whistle outdoors.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:41 pm

I was caught "singing badly" just the other day.

I was actually making some sort of "Wolfman" noise.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 10:25 pm

Sofisol612 wrote:
Well, my favorite stim is jumping, but I only do it when I’m alone in my room, for obvious reasons. However, all my family can hear me jump, and my siblings laugh at me because of that. They ask me why I do it, and I don’t have an answer to that, other than a sudden urge and need to move and release some energy. It’s very embarrassing.

You reminded me of this book!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 10:38 pm

When I start stimming too much, my cousin tells me to chill out. He's not being mean though. The way he says it makes me smile and I do chill out.

LilLoki
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2018, 1:06 pm

I usually click the thumbs of my feet and snap the fingers of the hands, sometimes I do not even realize that I'm snapping my thumbs, it's strange and when someone notices I'm dying of shame :oops:

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2018, 8:18 pm

10 minutes ago, I was walking around my own house, and my dad (who usually doesn’t notice my stimming), noticed and starting asking my mom what is wrong with me and that I was acting funny, wandering around moving my hands around. My mom responds to him, “she’s freaking autistic, dumb(donkey)” (less polite words). She was extremely annoyed with him that he acts like this is a new development and acting like I could be on drugs or something (even though both of them know that will never happen). This is what happens when you don’t actually pay attention to my usual behavior. I still try and watch myself unless I’m in complete privacy.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

TechnicallyCalm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2018, 9:07 pm

The only stimming that gets caught is when I mess with my hair and scratch my head.

The only other stimming that I know I do is moving my legs a lot when I'm sitting. Although now that I think about it, I'll be asked to stop doing that, but not very often.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 10:56 pm

EzraS wrote:
When I start stimming too much, my cousin tells me to chill out. He's not being mean though. The way he says it makes me smile and I do chill out.

I wish I had someone to tell me to chill out. I get very carried away stimming.