Saw this quote. Can anyone here relate to it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:54 pm

I saw this and thought it described a number of people here tbh. Can anyone here relate to it?

I'm legit curious if anyone here might admit to themselves & others that this may be the reason they don't move forward with healing themselves. I also wonder if this quote might cause some to pause and reflect and maybe realize it does apply to them, and that that moment may be a new beginning point for them. Obviously you're not obligated to respond to this thread and say if you think this does apply to you.. I'm posting it more for people to see and maybe reflect upon themselves in hopes that reading something like this might just be a catalyst for some people to begin to overcome their own personal constraints to healing, thinking, and feeling better.

For the record, this certainly doesn't apply to present day me, but there are times in my life in the past where I could relate somewhat.. when you're stuck in a rut & so trapped you feel like there is no "better," or even worse, that you're supposed to feel as bad as you do and that's your place, better is for others who are more deserving - those sorts of depressive thoughts. In general, I'm a pretty positive optimistic person these days, but I've certainly had thought cycle times like these waaaay back many years ago.

Having experienced both sides of it I can honestly say that better is for everyone. Better is for me. Better is for you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:57 pm

I’ve known people like that.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:16 pm

Oh, certainly. I worked with a LOT of mental health professionals - in my actual job, I mean :roll: - and one of the things I learned from them is that it can be very, very difficult to heal, psychologically, unless the person is encouraged to grieve over the changes in their identity that will result. Our experiences do shape us and that's just as true of the bad ones, so the fundamental change that comes with mental and emotional healing can be very, very disorienting. People will run from it unless they have solid support to work through.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

DancingQueen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2018, 3:21 pm

If you are suffering, you have a reason for not achieving. Also, if you're standing at the bottom of a hole, there's nowhere to fall.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:36 pm

DancingQueen wrote:
If you are suffering, you have a reason for not achieving. Also, if you're standing at the bottom of a hole, there's nowhere to fall.

But if you are suffering, would you not want to alleviate that suffering?

Agreed, if you're at rock bottom there's nowhere to go but up!

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:58 pm

^^ The problem is, what is the price of the alleviation?

Quite often, people have been abused, and abuse is very, very punitive. The least sign of spirit or independent thought gets slammed down hard. It's extremely difficult to believe that a better world is within one's reach, when that's the only world you've ever lived in.

It's nicely summed up thus: I was living in Hell, but at least I knew the names of all the streets.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 4:20 pm

There is the paradox that people with great gifts often are people who suffer greatly.

At least part of the reason IS the "gifts" themselves.

If you get rid of the 'gift," thus allegedly getting rid of the suffering, you've gotten rid of the essence of the person.

Sort of like a lobotomy, in a loose sense.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 5:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is the paradox that people with great gifts often are people who suffer greatly.

At least part of the reason IS the "gifts" themselves.

If you get rid of the 'gift," thus allegedly getting rid of the suffering, you've gotten rid of the essence of the person.

Sort of like a lobotomy, in a loose sense.

Some have responded to my posts about treating my symptoms with words like these.

And I've responded and let them know that I haven't lost anything I consider a positive trait, pretty much only the negative ones I'd rather not have at all.

It's enabled me to far better exploit any "gifts," I may have.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 5:41 pm

I'm not advocating this, necessarily. I advocate an alleviation of symptoms, but with the "essence" of a person maintained. Some eccentricity should still be maintained...especially if it doesn't harm you, or harm another person.

There are times when I lament my LACK of gifts. It's sort of a trade-off. I suffer, but I don't suffer exquisitely most of the time.

I wonder, if given the choice, if I would rather be gifted (with the ability to, say, find a cure for cancer) and suffer somewhat more than I do, or would I refuse this, and live in relative harmony?