Should the government regulate dog breeding more?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 4:17 pm

Hi all. I just want to share another thing that has been on my mind lately. Should the government play a larger role in dog breeding?

I'm saying this because some dog breeds are so deformed that they disgust me. For example, some bulldogs can only breath through their mouths because their noses are so deformed.

Then we have French Bulldogs. These poor dogs can't even reproduce naturally, so females have to be artificially inseminated and puppies always have to be delivered via C-section. Oftentimes, your dog can lose points in a dog show because it isn't deformed enough to meet the "breed standard". Dog shows are disgusting.

Dogs helped our ancestors survive the ice age. Why is it legal to mold dogs into mutants? That shouldn't be legal.

This is what a real dog should look like.
VVV

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 4:25 pm

well, i don't know about the dog in your pic, his legs seem a little stubby there. at least, to me. but otherwise yeah, huskies and related breeds seem to be the "purest" of all dogs. i have a mutt myself, she looks like a blend of terrier and dachshund with a tiny bit of german shepherd, i don't have a pic of her right now.

i do think we should crack down more on puppy mills and the unsanitary, inhumane ways that accompany them, but i don't trust our corrupt system to be up to the task. lest they fall victim to lobbying.

needless to say, i don't like pugs

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 2:03 am

Well I would say they need to shut down puppy mills, I have seen images of dogs rescued from those. After years of being in a small kennel and used for giving birth to puppies...they're overweight, their leg muscles are weak from not getting exercise and no dog should have to live like that. But also I do think some breeding practices should be banned and/or regulated better. Like yeah they probably should not try to keep 'promoting' the bulldog features as it actually harms the dogs ability to breath. However I think all the bulldogs and other breeds that have health and physical problems due to this breeding still need loving homes and people to take care of them.

My sister has a rescue bulldog, with a few difficult behaviors because his previous owners were neglectful basically a dog not a lot of people would want to adopt so sadly he could have been put down if my sister didn't take him. Aside from that though he is cute but you can tell its harder for them to breath with the smushed up face.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 12:44 pm

I believe naturally aggressive dogs like pitbulls should be outlawed. What makes it worse is that often the worse kind of dog owners own pitbulls.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 12:53 pm

Aniihya wrote:
I believe naturally aggressive dogs like pitbulls should be outlawed. What makes it worse is that often the worse kind of dog owners own pitbulls.

Pitbulls are no more aggressive than any other dog, if a dog is aggressive that is on the owner not the dog breed. Also all this 'banning' of pitbulls results in is peoples family pet being taken away and just having the dogs put down because of how they look. I just can't imagine how it would be to have a pet you love taken away just because the county has decided they don't like the look of your dog...no evaluation on how your dog behaves simply 'well it looks like a pit-bull' so we're going to take it and kill it.' There is no science to back up pit-bulls being any more aggressive than any other kind of dog...the only reason people think that is because in the past they were used as fighting dogs for dog fights, where they were mistreated and usually malnourished to make them aggressive.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 7:19 pm

The excessive hyper breeding of dogs (and some cat breeds too) that causes chronic health problems is indeed a type of animal abuse IMHO.

Though its an indirect type of animal abuse (its abuse of yet unborn generations of animals being breed). Don't see how legislators could even define the problem in legal terms, much less get involved.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:16 pm

Aniihya wrote:

I have to agree with Sweetleaf, which is unusual. As a Humane Society volunteer I've handled probably over 100 pit bulls over the years, walking them and playing with them. Then there are my two pits (one now deceased) which have been very affectionate and calm.

List of well known people who have or have had pitbulls for pets:

http://buzzsharer.com/2015/09/30-celebrities-who-own-pit-bulls/

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

Pitbulls are no more aggressive than any other dog, if a dog is aggressive that is on the owner not the dog breed. Also all this 'banning' of pitbulls results in is peoples family pet being taken away and just having the dogs put down because of how they look. I just can't imagine how it would be to have a pet you love taken away just because the county has decided they don't like the look of your dog...no evaluation on how your dog behaves simply 'well it looks like a pit-bull' so we're going to take it and kill it.' There is no science to back up pit-bulls being any more aggressive than any other kind of dog...the only reason people think that is because in the past they were used as fighting dogs for dog fights, where they were mistreated and usually malnourished to make them aggressive.

That's not true Pitbulls have been bred to be more aggressive and thus they are. Just as a Border collie has been bred to heard sheep or a terrier has been bred to kill small animals. Taking away people pets is wrong but making them get neutered is not.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:38 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

That's not true Pitbulls have been bred to be more aggressive and thus they are. Just as a Border collie has been bred to heard sheep or a terrier has been bred to kill small animals. Taking away people pets is wrong but making them get neutered is not.

They were bred for bull baiting and later for dog fighting, and while some are dog aggressive many are not. Being dog aggressive is different than being aggressive toward people. If they are dog aggressive then keep them away from other dogs.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 10:01 pm

The government should regulate NT breeding. There are way too many of them, and they are causing havoc across the world.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 11:01 pm

The difference between "pit bulls" and other dogs breeds isn't that pit bulls and similar breeds, that were bred for bringing down livestock, aren't more likely to bite, given they were raised like other breeds, it's that they are less likely to let go.

They also have wide jaws with very strong musculature and bite in such a way that can inflict a significant amount of damage.

Most other dogs, when they bite, it's a quick snap and release but pit bull type breeds have more of a tendency to bite, hold on, and grind their teeth around and shake whatever they have a hold of.

Chihuahuas are technically one of the most aggressive breeds, but it's easy to punt them if necessary.