Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 4:21 pm

My mind literally won't stop thinking depressed thoughts. It doesn't matter if I am working, driving my car, eating food, reading a book, watching something on TV, playing a video game, talking with people, or taking a walk. Depressed thoughts are always circulating in my mind. It's been this way since I was 17 (I am 29 now) and I fear it will continue for the rest of my life. Things that reinforce the thoughts are my lack of friends, no girlfriend, not having a college degree, no special talents, and I live in a harsh culture that thinks depression is a myth.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 6:06 pm

I'm very sorry, I have been dealing with similar issues. I hope it gets better for you.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 8:59 pm

I am generally a happy person, but I have also been having depressed thoughts. My sister (younger than me by three years) died today from complications of MS. I am also approaching the anniversary of the day I did something really stupid that almost caused me to lose everything I worked so hard to gain. People will say, "It's just a day! Get over it!" but it is really getting to me.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 10:09 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I am generally a happy person, but I have also been having depressed thoughts. My sister (younger than me by three years) died today from complications of MS. I am also approaching the anniversary of the day I did something really stupid that almost caused me to lose everything I worked so hard to gain. People will say, "It's just a day! Get over it!" but it is really getting to me.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. That's really tough. Life is certainly unfair sometimes.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 10:10 pm

Marknis wrote:
My mind literally won't stop thinking depressed thoughts. It doesn't matter if I am working, driving my car, eating food, reading a book, watching something on TV, playing a video game, talking with people, or taking a walk. Depressed thoughts are always circulating in my mind. It's been this way since I was 17 (I am 29 now) and I fear it will continue for the rest of my life. Things that reinforce the thoughts are my lack of friends, no girlfriend, not having a college degree, no special talents, and I live in a harsh culture that thinks depression is a myth.

What sorts of therapies have you tried, and what were the results?

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2018, 7:36 am

Marknis wrote:

*hugs* I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I can absolutely relate.

I wish I could tell you that one day the negative feelings will just go away. Our society puts so much pressure on us to be happy, get the degree, get the job, be social, get married, have kids....etc. Just know that these acquisitions/accomplishments don't necessarily make one a happy person! It might sound a little crazy, but you should take a little time to take life at YOUR pace. You are important. This is your experience, and you shouldn't be beholden to someone else's vision of success.

As for dealing with the negative thoughts, definitely utilize any and all tools at your disposal. Is there something that you have noticed that really helps pull you out of your dark spots? I, personally, benefit from getting out into the wilderness. It doesn't always work, but it is often my RESET button when I'm feeling really horrible. If you are still struggling, I would possibly look into other therapies that are available to you.

remonay
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2018, 1:50 pm

Marknis wrote:

Hang in there bud. I feel you. Sometimes it can be pretty difficult to even get out of bed but you force yourself to just because people are probably going to show you the opposite of sympathy if you don't. Have you sought someone out to talk to about this?

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 7:43 pm

I’m the same. The most beneficial therapy session I ever had (2 weeks ago) helped eradicate a big portion of it

She told me to list what I could possibly be angry about

I felt no anger n didn’t want to think about but she said ‘just imagine.. in your situation what is there u wd be angry about’

I listed it all n it really helped me feel n process n work through it

Similar exercises may be of help in therapy, talking to people around you, as well as meds

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2018, 2:48 pm

Get help, asap.

Go to a doctor or a hospital.

One of the few things I've found that helps with the depressed and suicidal thoughts, has been weed.
However, that might not be entirely legal in your part of the globe and it might not be the thing you need, at all. But it can help alleviate the worst of it.

Another thing that helps, is being amongst friends. it's draining and temporary(very), but it's one more thing.

But by far the most important thing, is to get help.