Do not so well off people suffer?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2018, 8:05 am

I been thinking a lot recently about my direction in life. I'm currently in the e-commerce sector. It's not where I planned on going, it's not particularly the most desirable career choice. I'm only here due to chance and that it's probably the only thing where i actually know what i'm doing (sort of).

But my passion lies with animals. I would LOVE a career that is animal related. I once went to college to start an animal care course, but i didn't even last 5 months before all the stress of it brought me down and my anxiety just flipped. Luckily, the situation had me land a job at an animal sanctuary - easily the most therapeutic job i've ever had. But because it was a charity, it didn't pay much and I left to pursue a better life, but that really didn't work out and that landed me unemployed for the biggest part of a year.

I'm 32 now, and times ticking. I would love to go back to college and uni to train in biology and animal care. But

1, I can't afford college. Partner is at uni and we're both scraping together to afford his fee's.

2, I seriously suck at education. I fall behind, the work is stressful, it's all too much, i struggle to keep up and i struggle to understand terminologies and such. I don't want to waste my time and money making another mistake of quitting my current job to chase something that I know i will fail at.

I currently don't see any way towards the direction I want to go. I love all animals, I am curious about them, I want to help (mainly preserving nature and learning about different species, why they do this, why they do that and the whole science behind animals). I just think that it's an area I will fully enjoy because i will always be actively learning new things and spending time with amazing creatures.

I just honestly don't know how to get there, and i can't see a route that is achievable with my level of intelligence :(

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2018, 9:08 am

Is there someplace you can volunteer and work with animals? I know it's not ideal since it wouldn't be something you could do daily but at least you can could do something you enjoy.

I used to volunteer at an aquarium and a zoo, both places allowed me to interact with animals after I had been there for some time and the training was easy.

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2018, 9:42 am

I honestly don't have the time to volunteer. Otherwise i'd be on it right away. I have volunteered at a zoo once before... but it was just once and my anxiety got so bad I didn't dare go back :( And their lack of knowledge for their reptiles just infuriated me.

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 12:33 pm

I have a similar problem of wanting to have some kind of career in helping animals, and conserving wildlife habitats...but I have no idea how to even begin to make that happen. But I also don't have very much work experience at all I've had one job in the past 5 years so not much of a job history...right now just trying to find some entry level work to make some more income but no luck yet. College is likely not an option as I already tried going and already have a bunch of debt from that and I can't pass college math.

I would volunteer but I have a lack of time and resources to do so, just not in a position to volunteer in a position without financial compensation.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 8:41 pm

You can live a life without substantial funds.
But it will mean a lot of readjustment as to what you feel life is, or how you measure your happiness and success.
Do you feel your existing circles would handle the person they know changing everything about themselves to pursue their dreams rather than their finances? How would this impact you?

I say those things without judgement. It's judgement you need to pass on yourself and your partner before you decide whether or not this is a pipe dream or light you are seeking at the end of a currently dreary tunnel.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2018, 1:35 am

There are some animal-care jobs that doesn't require an education. I am very lucky to live close to a lot of stables, and I managed to get a good deal where I take care of my landlords horses in exchange for free rent. I didn't know anything about horses, but I only needed two days of training to learn what I needed to know.
A friend of mine took a very short, very cheap farming-course, got work at a pet shop, which led her into a job as an aquarist on the city zoo (every animal-loving kid's dream job). It really required a much higher education than she had, but since she had spent so much time studying on her own, she had no problems proving that she knew what she was doing. Now she's a highly valued employee there, even though her coworkers are all scientists and marine biologists.
I guess a lot of luck played in there, but still shows that it's not entirely impossible.