Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2018, 12:47 am

I was diagnosed with hyperactivity disorder when I was 6, put into special edilucation classes in 2nd grade, pddnos, and ED (emotional distrubance) in 6th grade.
In my 20's, I started recieving meds for ADHD and stopped becore graduating college.
Now in my 40's, I decided to get requalified for ADHD mainly due wanting to move up at work and anxiety that gets me bordering on panic attacks. After put in a room with about 11 more people and filling out a questionaire and generalized history qurstionaire, i got a call for the dr. who stated I in fact did not have ADHD but generalized anxiety due to trauma which is causing attention issues. This kind of put me in a tailspin since now my paradigm needs to shift.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 2:22 am

He rediagnosed you based on two questionnaires without seeing you? That is rank incompetence. You should see a comptent clinicion before changing your paradigm.

You should eventually deal with the childhood trama but not from this doctor.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2018, 11:18 am

My thoughts exactly. To fairness to him, he is working for my medical provider, I believe he is a 'gatekeeper'. He did qualify me for meds. But why the denial? Usually medical insurance denies due to cost, but what cost is it to qualify me for ADHD.
A sidenote, when I tell people this, they congratulate me. Why? Just because a clinician says I dont have it does mean I do not have the symptoms that would qualify me for it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 12:27 pm

It probably will cost a lot more and you will have do the legwork yourself but you need to have the proper diagnosis to get the proper meds and therapies. Better to take the cost hit now while you are working.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2018, 4:19 pm

O concur. But a full diagnosis can really be cost prohibitive, costing upwards to about 3,000 dollars or more. I might pursue that direction to see if there are some answers and ways to deal with these issues that I am having. In the meantime, I still have some med therapy that might help.