Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 12:30 pm

Probably the worst "cure" for depression ever is to force the person to not act sad or unhappy, by telling them to smile and pretend they are. That's just garbage. We live in a society where happiness is seen as something that should be our dominant emotion, which is fine for the most part, but when we aren't happy it's almost as if we aren't allowed to. Haven't people seen the movie Inside Out? If you try to be happy all the time it could end up becoming a disaster.

Depression is an illness. Would you tell a person with diabetes to eat an entire bowl of sugar because their illness is "imaginary" or they should just snap out of it? :roll:

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 8:56 pm

PlanarFracture wrote:
I believe I once encountered a genius stating 'having more sex' cured depression. No, it does not.

You are correct.

A lot of 40 year old men have told me this story. "I used to be a young alpha playboy who had lots of sex. Now I'm depressed because I never sought out a deeper emotional relationship with any of the women I had sex with."

I've heard this story a million times.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 9:25 pm

I've noticed that most Christian fundamentalists have big creepy smiles, but they are emotionally unstable and they will panic at the drop of a hat. My biological father is like that.

If anyone can reduce you to a sniveling wreck in seconds just by saying the wrong thing to you, your happiness is probably a façade. This also explains why my dad doesn't work, despite the fact that he is physically healthy. He is too emotionally unstable to work, even though he persistently claims that Jesus had brought him happiness.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 11:21 pm

PlanarFracture wrote:
I believe I once encountered a genius stating 'having more sex' cured depression. No, it does not.

Well, I'm not talking for everyone. In my case, it does improve my mood. Not very much, though. And not for the long time.
However, when I'm really deep in the depressive phase, it's more like "why am I doing this stupid gymnastics and when can I finally stop". :oops: