Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 2:22 pm

I am working on it, I really am. I've been checking craigslist and sending applications out when I see a viable job offer, granted there don't seem to be a lot. I've looked at some other job listing websites but that didn't really help just ended up causing a bunch of junk mail in my email inbox. I've called a few places that provide help to disabled people looking for work, one of them didn't think it sounded like a good fit for me, contacted a center for people with disabilities but it sounds like they really just provide pre-employment type help, which I got that with voc-rehab and I can't say it really helped me very much.

I have also called a place I did sort of an employment skill assessment at for voc-rehab, but that place offers some job training, job placement, trial employment and support actually getting and keeping a job. I left them a messege on friday, they were already closed and I have not heard back yet. I figure if I don't get a call back today I'll try and call tomorrow. Not sure what I'll do if for some reason I don't qualify for their help...but being on SSI I should but still worried I'll get ahold of someone only to have them tell me 'sorry but we can't help'. But that is probably just my stress talking because I seriously feel like I am running out of options to get employed.

But yeah I think I have come a long way with my mental health, and I am bored being at home all day. Its not like I can really afford to go out much with my budget, most of my SSI goes to rent, utilities, my phone, the internet(which yes I use for entertainment but also resources to help find work and job ads and filling out applications, for all those jerks who try to act like internet is not a valid use of money if you're on limited income). So yes I would certainly like a job, just not sure how to work around my social barriers to get one without some rather extensive help.

update* They did call back, and suggest I go back through voc-rehab which that will be a bit of a hassle...but apparently they get funding through them to pay for the programs so that would be the best way to get that help. So, good there is hope after all.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Mar 2018, 8:59 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
update* They did call back, and suggest I go back through voc-rehab which that will be a bit of a hassle...but apparently they get funding through them to pay for the programs so that would be the best way to get that help. So, good there is hope after all.
It sux that you have to go through voc-rehab again but at least you heard back & there is a plan. I wish you the best of luck with it. I know what it's like to apply at every place you think of that you can get to & for any position you think you can do only not to hear back or not pass the interview due to no work experience.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 1:51 am

nick007 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
It sux that you have to go through voc-rehab again but at least you heard back & there is a plan. I wish you the best of luck with it. I know what it's like to apply at every place you think of that you can get to & for any position you think you can do only not to hear back or not pass the interview due to no work experience.

I'd rather go through that again than try and apply on the regular job market. Maybe they can hook me up with something more supportive. basically all I learned with my last job is I need help navigating a work place.

I just don't understand why it has to be so hard to get a damn job, like I have things I can do but no one wants me to work for them apparently.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 2:08 am

nobody wants to hire me either :| too old to cut the mustard.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 3:44 am

auntblabby wrote:

Well, if you shave that beard of and dress sharp, miracles may happen. Only save it for Christmas and you can work as a Santa :D

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 9:53 pm

Alright, well I will start again with voc rehab on tuesday and this time be more adamant about getting something more supported to start. I think I would very much benefit from some kind of 'trial period' where I could get a bit of a walkthrough and feedback on how I am doing and what things I could improve on particularly communication wise and learn some about being able to advocate for myself instead of blindly going along with the job with no clue as to if the employer is satisfied, dissatisfied, planning to let me go and/or reduce hours ect.

Another frusterating part of my last job was never knowing what my hours were going to look like from week to week. Didn't know if it would be a full week of full day shifts, a few shorter shifts, a week with no shifts and it could change with very short notice. So basically it made it impossible to make any plans for anything else in my life because I never knew if I'd be working or not or how many hours. Truth be told it even interfered with me being able to remain in contact with the Voc-Rehab counselor I had last time, cause they would call when I was at work but I could never give them a specific time I'd be available for a phone call or to meet physically. Plus I was thinking maybe that was it...finally employed so didn't think I necessarily still needed their help.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 12:59 am

Ichinin wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Well, if you shave that beard of and dress sharp, miracles may happen. Only save it for Christmas and you can work as a Santa :D

unfortunately it goes way beyond appearance, they want somebody sharper and quicker and much more physical, not crippled up with arthritis.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 12:45 pm

Dammit I was going to go to voc-rehab orientation today, but I'm all congested and feel rather sick so probably best not to go, plus it is too late to make it anyways. Unfortunately that means I have to wait till next Tuesday.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 5:58 pm

I truly, TRULY wish you'd apply with the Feds:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?l=Colorado&ws=2&p=2

They have 16 part-time jobs, currently, and the two for which you might be able to get, are Store Checker (cashier), and Store Worker (stock person). A Store Checker stands in one place, though, and you seem like the type of person who would want to be able to move-around.

I think it would be absolutely WONDERFUL, if, at your age, you could get-on there, because you would be set for LIFE----GREAT benefits, paid time off, and retirement!! A Voc Rehab counselor should be able to help you with applying (resumes are a little different than with "regular" jobs).

The only drawback, though, is that with your last job, you might not have a totally set schedule----but, I'm almost positive it would be a more set schedule than the one you had. (I recently worked, temporarily, as a Store Worker, and except for at the holidays, pretty much everybody's schedule stayed the same.)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 6:14 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I truly, TRULY wish you'd apply with the Feds:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?l=Colorado&ws=2&p=2

They have 16 part-time jobs, currently, and the two for which you might be able to get, are Store Checker (cashier), and Store Worker (stock person). A Store Checker stands in one place, though, and you seem like the type of person who would want to be able to move-around.

I think it would be absolutely WONDERFUL, if, at your age, you could get-on there, because you would be set for LIFE----GREAT benefits, paid time off, and retirement!! A Voc Rehab counselor should be able to help you with applying (resumes are a little different than with "regular" jobs).

The only drawback, though, is that with your last job, you might not have a totally set schedule----but, I'm almost positive it would be a more set schedule than the one you had. (I recently worked, temporarily, as a Store Worker, and except for at the holidays, pretty much everybody's schedule stayed the same.)

Might be an idea, but do they drug test for cannabis....as at this point that would be problematic. I've considered temporarily quitting for that sort of thing. But as far as I know to be safe you'd want to wait 30 days after ingesting it.

What I really want to do is work with animals or like conservation projects. Like around Yellowstone they are putting up safe crossings for animals across the highway and roads not sure if its a paid job or a volunteer thing, but I would certainly enjoy doing something like that. I guess I want to do something outside

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 2:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Might be an idea, but do they drug test for cannabis....as at this point that would be problematic. I've considered temporarily quitting for that sort of thing. But as far as I know to be safe you'd want to wait 30 days after ingesting it.

What I really want to do is work with animals or like conservation projects. Like around Yellowstone they are putting up safe crossings for animals across the highway and roads not sure if its a paid job or a volunteer thing, but I would certainly enjoy doing something like that. I guess I want to do something outside

Oh, geez----I totally forgot to come back to this thread----I apologize.

I couldn't SWEAR to it, that they don't test for pot (the job has already been filled, so the ad's been taken down), BUT I'm almost positive they don't, because I was trying to help my niece's baby daddy get that job in the state where he lives, cuz he smokes pot all-the-time, and that ad (same job/different state) said they did NOT test for drugs.

I was thinking that most of the low-level jobs don't test for drugs (cuz I know Janitor doesn't test, either)----but, I just looked at another job for you (Food Service Worker), and they DO test for drugs. I was bummed, cuz I thought that job (Food Service Worker) would be another good one for you (part-time, too), cuz you have your own little work station, and they don't wantcha to talk, cuz it's like an assembly line (though not real fast), and one needs to keep their mind on their work, to keep things moving, properly. (I interviewed for the job, myself, and they showed me the workstations.) This particular job that I was looking at, for you, was for "cold station"----so, you would've either been putting drinks on patients' trays, or salads, or puddings, or something like that.

I totally understand why you'd wanna work outside----ESPECIALLY if you were doing work with/for animals----what I'm thinking, is that you could, maybe, get one of these jobs I've talked-about, and then, maybe, take a course so you could qualify for working with animals/conservation stuff (you would certainly be able to afford it, with one of these jobs - the Feds pay well); and then once you have your foot in-the-door, with the Feds, you can switch to another job with the Feds, very easily. I work with a girl who is going to a community college for something like what you're talking about----so, community college, maybe, wouldn't be too taxing for ya (maybe Veterinary Tech, or something like that).

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 4:51 am

Can you drive and do you have a vehicle? If so, have you thought about doing Uber or Lyft?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 5:52 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Oh, geez----I totally forgot to come back to this thread----I apologize.

I couldn't SWEAR to it, that they don't test for pot (the job has already been filled, so the ad's been taken down), BUT I'm almost positive they don't, because I was trying to help my niece's baby daddy get that job in the state where he lives, cuz he smokes pot all-the-time, and that ad (same job/different state) said they did NOT test for drugs.

I was thinking that most of the low-level jobs don't test for drugs (cuz I know Janitor doesn't test, either)----but, I just looked at another job for you (Food Service Worker), and they DO test for drugs. I was bummed, cuz I thought that job (Food Service Worker) would be another good one for you (part-time, too), cuz you have your own little work station, and they don't wantcha to talk, cuz it's like an assembly line (though not real fast), and one needs to keep their mind on their work, to keep things moving, properly. (I interviewed for the job, myself, and they showed me the workstations.) This particular job that I was looking at, for you, was for "cold station"----so, you would've either been putting drinks on patients' trays, or salads, or puddings, or something like that.

I totally understand why you'd wanna work outside----ESPECIALLY if you were doing work with/for animals----what I'm thinking, is that you could, maybe, get one of these jobs I've talked-about, and then, maybe, take a course so you could qualify for working with animals/conservation stuff (you would certainly be able to afford it, with one of these jobs - the Feds pay well); and then once you have your foot in-the-door, with the Feds, you can switch to another job with the Feds, very easily. I work with a girl who is going to a community college for something like what you're talking about----so, community college, maybe, wouldn't be too taxing for ya (maybe Veterinary Tech, or something like that).

Well perhaps I shall look into it, once I get started with voc rehab...already signed up and have a meeting with a voc rehab counselor scheduled. But it certainly helps if one has some ideas of jobs rather than having no idea and wanting the voc rehab counseler to figure out what work you should do. So I shall keep it in mind.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 6:04 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Can you drive and do you have a vehicle? If so, have you thought about doing Uber or Lyft?

I don't even have a drivers license, its still a permit...I plan to get my liscense but of course money is tight, doesn't help SSI over-paid me during my last attempt to work so now they are deducting 75 dollars out of my SSI check pretty much leaving me with less than 200 dollars after bills.

That said though I don't think I'd be any good for uber or lyft even if I do get my license and a car, seems like it would be inconsistent as far as hours and pay. Seems advertised more as something to do on the side, than a basis for a stable job that could get me off of SSI.