Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2018, 7:17 am

Just getting into it. pretty cool. a little complex. takes some getting used to. 8/10. Anyone else play it?

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 5:32 pm

I've played it before, never liked it much. The whole "unidentified everything" really ruins it for me. Hate that mechanic. Ended up turning to other roguelikes instead, rather than the "core" ones.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 9:29 pm

No, it's really old and dated. Was never really balanced either, with RNG being far too much of a factor in your success. It was made in an era where almost all games were like that. I much preferred first person dungeon crawlers like the Wizardry series which had party management and generally more things to do in combat, or later games that took elements from it and built upon it, like Castle in the Winds.

Nowadays I don't tend to play games like these, they take too long for too little payoff, and are generally quite repetitive.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 8:49 am

I agree, it is a little complex. I've always preferred the original Rogue, where the gameplay is a lot more simple, and not stuffed with feature creep.

I do play NetHack sometimes though, but I'm not very good at it yet. I just found some servers where you can play online (so there's leaderboards and graves, and you can watch other people play), but when I tried them out at work, the "graphics" came out all garbled =/

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Public_server

There's also some decent ports of Rogue, Hack, and NetHack on the Nintendo DS 8) Though I wish they used more buttons and less virtual keyboards.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 4:45 pm

Quote:
No, it's really old and dated. Was never really balanced either, with RNG being far too much of a factor in your success. It was made in an era where almost all games were like that. I much preferred first person dungeon crawlers like the Wizardry series which had party management and generally more things to do in combat, or later games that took elements from it and built upon it, like Castle in the Winds.

Nowadays I don't tend to play games like these, they take too long for too little payoff, and are generally quite repetitive.

You're playing the wrong ones, to be honest. Most roguelikes these days that ARENT just trying to copy the "core" games (of which Nethack is one) tend to have both managable RNG (where strategy and tactics can always defeat whatever the game throws at you... but it's up to you to figure out how to do it. None of that "test a potion, instantly die" crap). Plenty are also very rewarding, and have muuuuuuuch better combat instead of just "crash into enemy over and over.

Now, if someone does want a simpler, better balanced take on the core formula, check out Brogue instead.

It doesnt have that "pointlessly convoluted" aspect of Nethack. Also dramatically less tedious. Even the look of it is really nice.

If you want to step away from that and try something completely new, try Cogmind. That one is the best of them as far as I'm concerned and one of the most recent and modern. And finally, FINALLY, it's a game that gets the UI aspect right. Games like Nethack tend to do UI and controls *REALLY* badly. There's alot to love about the game, and while it's bloody difficult, it's never unfair. Also no insta-deaths. And it's VERY deep.

Many of these games also have both permanent progression (stuff that carries over between individual runs, all sorts of things to unlock and power up) and deep combat that actually makes you think instead of JUST smacking into foes. Look to games like Tangledeep or Dungeonmans for that sort. Both of those are very accessible, yet offer loads of challenge and depth for the players that want it. Some even offer the chance to choose difficulty modes or even turn off the permadeath mechanic (allowing you to save, and then reload those saves if you screw up).

Or something like Dungeons of Dredmor, another favorite of mine. LOTS of content, lots of depth and customization for your character, difficulty modes and a no-permadeath option... it's a huge game and lots of fun. Good sense of humor too. Though not as completely hilarious as Dungeonmans. Whoever did the writing in that game deserves some sort of award.

There's also ToME if you want some of the greatest depth around. That one is particularly popular for good reason and constantly updated. ToME though isnt meant to be a starting point into the genre though, it is a little TOO complex for newcomers, so I usually only recommend it to those with some experience in the genre.

Aside from that one though, these are the sorts of games I always try to encourage newer players to try, yet even veterans will get alot out of them. Nethack (and the other three core games) sorta gives the wrong impression of the genre. It is utterly unforgiving, has insta-deaths by RNG, and really boring combat. As you said, games like Wizardry are more interesting in combat and such. Nethack also has ALOT of really arcane and outdated mechanics. That game has NOT evolved with the rest of the genre.

With the games I've listed, it's the other way around: There's way more depth to the combat in those than there is in Wizardry or similar RPGs. The difference is often really dramatic, and it'll get deeper and more filled with options the further you go into the game. I mean I've played games like Wizardy before... the dungeon-crawler sort of RPG, very different from JRPGs... but they dont really hold my attention as the depth of combat I want just isnt there (nor is the challenge). It's why I switched from RPGs to roguelikes.

They also dont have the absolutely stupid length of Nethack. Dont get me wrong, some of them can be fairly long, but it depends on the individual game. Some can have runs that are quite short even if you make it to the end.

I could continue listing these for ages, I've played tons of them. Could also rant about action-roguelikes, which arent turn-based, as I've played a bazillion of those too.

Freaking love this genre. It's what I play the most of, these days.