Work and travel oveseas for over 30s...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NotSayingMyName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2018, 2:56 am

Anyone does these?
Or manages to negotiate something with their employers to get semi-regular time off to go travelling?
I think I know what I want to do for a career and would love the opportunity to get the f**k out of Oz.
Not sure whether I will pick the right career for it but I hope to at least get the chance to work on a work/lifestyle mix so I can go overseas much more often than I do now.

Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2018, 7:39 am

I'm a Scandinavian expatriate in Japan. Without my career choice I doubt I would've got a decent job, but it comes at a price (one of exhaustion).

My new home is challenging as it is, but I go travelling when I have the chance. Inside the country, or overseas. Was in Vancouver last autumn and liked it (though I wouldn't live there). Also will hopefully be going back to Scandinavia this summer. Been almost 2 years since I saw my family.

Most people prefer to just travel and for most people that's the best choice. Adapting to and integrating into a new culture is hard work. I'd say get good at saving money and get a career with ample possibilities of flextime if travel is the way you want to go.

NotSayingMyName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2018, 9:33 pm

1986 wrote:
I'm a Scandinavian expatriate in Japan. Without my career choice I doubt I would've got a decent job, but it comes at a price (one of exhaustion).

My new home is challenging as it is, but I go travelling when I have the chance. Inside the country, or overseas. Was in Vancouver last autumn and liked it (though I wouldn't live there). Also will hopefully be going back to Scandinavia this summer. Been almost 2 years since I saw my family.

Most people prefer to just travel and for most people that's the best choice. Adapting to and integrating into a new culture is hard work. I'd say get good at saving money and get a career with ample possibilities of flextime if travel is the way you want to go.

What is your career then?

Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 7:20 am

Architect. I don't recommend it if you desire spare time.

On the flip side, thanks to my general knowledge on city planning I've found side gigs as a guide. Pays really well but I'm not entrepreneurial enough to turn it into a business. It's fun though to have people pay you for talking endlessly about your special interest (which it'd be, if you could take people out of it).

What stage in life are you at? You're thinking about your future career, so what do you see that including? Uni studies?

EDIT: If you're over 30 then uni is perhaps out of the question ...?

whereto83
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2018, 8:40 am

Yeah, I'm currently teaching online overseas. At this point it's more of a small income, but I'm adding a cobbling together a couple of activities and living pretty simply. Currently in Bangkok; just visited Shanghai and Changsha. Possibly returning to China. Ideally, I'm hoping to stay overseas for 2-5 years.

NotSayingMyName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2018, 11:57 pm

1986 wrote:
Architect. I don't recommend it if you desire spare time.

On the flip side, thanks to my general knowledge on city planning I've found side gigs as a guide. Pays really well but I'm not entrepreneurial enough to turn it into a business. It's fun though to have people pay you for talking endlessly about your special interest (which it'd be, if you could take people out of it).

What stage in life are you at? You're thinking about your future career, so what do you see that including? Uni studies?

EDIT: If you're over 30 then uni is perhaps out of the question ...?

I went to Uni for a year and a half. Too much to do in a short time studying; nor did I really know what I wanted to do with it.
I am looking into areas such as library work; travel writing; data entry; fitness or teaching work.
In any case I am still wondering what to do; but travelling has always been a passion of mine and I really cannot say that Australia is my cultural home even if it is my place of birth and residence.
I can assure anyone that Australia is NOT the greatest country on earth for people on the autism spectrum due to their expectations on extroversion and lagging with help for people on the spectrum compared to other nations.
I do NOT wish to assimilate thank you. :idea:

NotSayingMyName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2018, 12:01 am

whereto83 wrote:
Yeah, I'm currently teaching online overseas. At this point it's more of a small income, but I'm adding a cobbling together a couple of activities and living pretty simply. Currently in Bangkok; just visited Shanghai and Changsha. Possibly returning to China. Ideally, I'm hoping to stay overseas for 2-5 years.

Yeah you have kind of given me a new idea here.
Teaching is definitely an idea I had, but can't say I would do greatly in a classroom environment unfortunately.
Do you think that online teaching is easier than face-to-face? What are you teaching them? A foreign language?
Anything else you can tell me about your working environment?