Deleting former Colleagues on Social Media>

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 6:07 pm

yep! you definitely got it right on that one... distancing yourself from people who operate like that is definitely the smart way to go

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 8:00 am

infinitenull wrote:
yep! you definitely got it right on that one... distancing yourself from people who operate like that is definitely the smart way to go

As far as I am concerned, I have been just fine without them since they disappeared on me and even when I was looking for another job and granted I have been just fine without them for the last three and a half years of being employed where I am now. Now all I have to do now is move forward and if they contact me, learn to say, "No" to them.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 12:06 pm

Standard practice.

Perhaps do it after a few weeks so that it's put down to the passage of time and lack of acquaintance, rather than just the job? An odd piece of etiquette that seems to work.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 1:19 pm

The spectrum, I had already removed them from my LinkedIn and other forms of contact last week because it's clear they aren't interested. I know they aren't because when I wrote the letter of rejection neither one acknowledged by responding to say,

"We understand thanks for letting us know," and I am not going to chase them.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2018, 4:26 am

You can keep in touch with former work colleagues.
They are not friends. Though NT's will refer to them as 'friends'.
The truth is they are work networking associates. And that is exactly what NT's use them for.
Meeting up for a coffee, gossip - it's all about work networking (for future jobs / better positions).
Occasionally they might actually be legitimate friends with one or two of them.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 9:54 am

AngryAngryAngry wrote:
The truth is they are work networking associates. And that is exactly what NT's use them for.
Meeting up for a coffee, gossip - it's all about work networking (for future jobs / better positions).

I found this great article today on employers who dangle the carrot such as the ones I talked about earlier
https://www.inc.com/alison-green/when-p ... rough.html

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2018, 11:53 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
AngryAngryAngry wrote:

This is a really good article. Thanks for posting Summer
I found this great article today on employers who dangle the carrot such as the ones I talked about earlier
https://www.inc.com/alison-green/when-p ... rough.html

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 8:51 am

I confronted this former supervisor in a memo yesterday and confronted him about his long line of unreliability, lack of communication and slippery behavior of the past, in which he was prompt to respond.

"I am still on vacation and as I told you, I would not be available until June and would discuss things with you when I got back." He also tried to blame me. "I understand that you are frustrated but this is an email myself and the other team member should ever see."

I wrote back and told him "No, a lack of communication and unreliability is something that a potential employee should never see."

I sense that the reason why he responded like this is that I am not letting him think that he takes advantage of me anymore. It would have worked 5 years ago but not anymore. I mean, I am a nice person and I will negotiate with people but when they keep playing games with me and lead me on over and over again while thinking they can step on me, I put my foot down.

In comparison, I wrote him a letter of rejection in letting them back in April in which both of them ignored and never seemed to acknowledge. I sense that the reason why he's responding now is that I am not letting him get away with playing games with me like he's done so many times in the past.

I honestly, don't care if he's mad about what I said because he had two months to respond to that email which he had failed to do. Sure he's busy with real estate and things like that but if he makes time for other emails from leads and clients then he could have acknowledged that email which I am what I am more upset about. I could honestly care less about earning money and working with them at this point because I just can't trust them. Besides, he gets yelled at all the time by his own clients, prospects, and others in his field. So I don't feel sorry for them.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 8:38 am

Twilight, I was in similar situation. You gotta let it go. Trust me. Hanging on to it only hurts you.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 9:26 am

HistoryGal wrote:
Twilight, I was in similar situation. You gotta let it go. Trust me. Hanging on to it only hurts you.

Yes, I will second that because I realize there is a time and place to let after doing my part and saying so much which I don't think I wasted my time on. The only reason why people in both of our situations got mad and "Blamed the victim" is that we probably caught them in several lies and other games and they realized we were smart enough not to put up with them anymore.

I only called him out because of two things:
1. He told me that I needed to wait until June after postponing twice, not communicating and not being honest with me. Since it's June and he "Promised" to finally have me start, after two brush-offs and one fishy story in April, I decided to call him out.
2. I sent him an email or rejection which he never responded too and it made me wonder if he even got it because I don't want him continuing to call me up and string me along whenever he feels like it.

The ball was in his court and he had a chance to tell me the truth and he didn't. Rather, he beat around the bush by letting me know that I sent a bad email that he and his business partner should never see along with not acknowledging that I am not interested in working there. Instead, he wanted to continue to lead me around about having come in sometime this month.

Now I told him not to contact me anymore after that and I put him om spam because he is not going to be honest.

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2018, 12:54 pm

Summer it feels like you want a resolution. Where you want him to apologize or explain why he did what he did. That will never happen.
After i was fired as a teacher onetime, i would persverate on whu she did what she did. Would even come up with reasons, there were no real reason other than she didnt like me. She made allowances for the other teacher but not me. I remember over hearing one time that she could not rehire me because of my anger, although my colleague claims they were talking about me. The fact of the matter remains there will be places where you will not be 'the right fit' if you are like me, that is many places, but when you do find one it will be worth it

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 5:45 pm

redbrick1 wrote:
Summer it feels like you want a resolution. Where you want him to apologize or explain why he did what he did. That will never happen.
After i was fired as a teacher onetime, i would perseverate on why she did what she did. Would even come up with reasons, there were no real reason other than she didn't like me. She made allowances for the other teacher but not me. I remember overhearing one time that she could not rehire me because of my anger, although my colleague claims they were talking about me. The fact of the matter remains there will be places where you will not be 'the right fit' if you are like me, that is many places, but when you do find one it will be worth it

Yes, I would like a resolution on this one you are right and I am not going to get that and why would he? He's just as arrogant as he is slick and you can't get through to people like that. However, I had let him step on me in the past because I thought I could trust him after working for a company before that where I was mistreated by a group of people who disliked me and made those 8 years a living hell for me. When I met these two brokers, I thought they were professional men who cared about the people who they hired. It was only when they were slippery about paying for me to get licensed and that they never paid me the entire year and a half that I became more alert.

When they contacted me back in March, I had my guard up while giving him one more opportunity and he blew it by being dishonest and reliable along with ignoring my letter of rejection that I had enough. For the most part, I moved on for the last two months while waiting closer to the third "Promised date." So I wanted to let him know in so many words, "You don't seem to value me and I am not a doormat for you to step on. In fact, I am not going to be so nice to you all the time and this is that time."

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2018, 9:14 am

Awww...summer. you are going to have to let this one go. You're hurt that they abused your trust and that they did not think enough of you to even garner an apology and a resolution that you desperately seek. The problem at this point is you are expending a lot of energy that you will not help you. Use that energy to get a job that will gain you experience that would help you in the ling run, if it is office experience that you want go look for a part time job that will help you do that. I understand where you are coming from, I have been there. In fact the job that I lost set me back by a lot, simply because it was so unfair. So I get it

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 9:42 pm

redbrick1 wrote:
Awww...summer. you are going to have to let this one go. You're hurt that they abused your trust and that they did not think enough of you to even garner an apology and a resolution that you desperately seek. The problem at this point is you are expending a lot of energy that you will not help you. Use that energy to get a job that will gain you experience that would help you in the ling run, if it is office experience that you want go look for a part time job that will help you do that. I understand where you are coming from, I have been there. In fact the job that I lost set me back by a lot, simply because it was so unfair. So I get it

It's been several days and I have had lots of time to process the information and I am able to move forward because I have my own goals and real estate is not an area I am wild about.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2018, 7:16 am

No. I delete people if I feel like there is no reason for them to be in my friends list and I don't think twice about it. It's possible some people might question why but the chance is little to nonexistant that they'd actually ask you why.

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2018, 8:44 am

superaliengirl wrote:
No. I delete people if I feel like there is no reason for them to be in my friends list and I don't think twice about it. It's possible some people might question why but the chance is little to nonexistant that they'd actually ask you why.

That doesn't seem very nice, especially if they have been really decent people. Make me wonder if they were even friends at all.