Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Zachwashere
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2018, 1:53 pm

I figured I'd put a positive spin on things here. So, what is the one Autistic trait that you wouldn't want to live without if you had to?

Mine would have to be my logical/literal thinking. It makes jokes hard to understand sometimes but it makes me a great programmer! :D

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2018, 2:28 pm

I'm not entirely sure this is a trait, but it seemed to be:

On another forum I frequent, there is a chatbox, and it sometimes gets nasty and drama-filled. A neurotypical friend gets upset and has to leave when it does that. But I don't even notice the drama is there unless it's pointed out. I can sit in the midst of conflict and be oblivious to it. She called it a blessing that I am able to stay (as we like to be a positive influence there and can't if we can't stick around).

Also, while reading descriptions of signs that kids may be on the spectrum, I saw bullying mentioned as being common. And I don't ever remember being bullied. I don't even remember noticing bullying (though there was that one kid who was unpopular) as a kid. Yet I've heard people mention that it happened there. So I very well could have been bullied my entire life and never realized it.

I like being oblivious to social things that cause others stress.

Anthracite_Impreza
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2018, 9:00 pm

I would say the sheer doggedness with which I can persevere with something I'm interested in. Funny actually, my best mate has ADD so she can't concentrate for longer than like 15 minutes and I won't stop until I'm right on the verge of peeing myself; we complete each other xD

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2018, 4:31 pm

Good factual memory
Compassion for animals, especially cats

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 3:29 pm

My interests and good rote memory

My love for music and repetition

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2018, 3:47 pm

Ah, I should have included memory in the survey! That would have been interesting to compare.
I guess it's too late now though.

I have an excellent memory too. I can remember things word-for-word from earlier in the conversation when others can't even remember the last thing they said. And I can memorize a script for a skit the morning before the performance.

My suitor is diagnosed with Asperger's, though, and he has a poor memory. So there must be something else that influences that.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 3:52 pm

I like how the social world doesn't influence my perspective as much as a typical person. It gives me the headspace to have an appreciation of rational thinking and a respect for the natural world.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 4:04 pm

Working on my talents, making it up for my tough time being sociable, like drawing and making things.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 4:06 pm

Hard to say which one. In the end perhaps it's a tie for me between music and pattern spotting.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2018, 4:06 pm

Logicality, i.e not being carried away by violent emotions all the time. I sometimes look at NT's and think, do they know life is not meant to be some hysterical drama? it must be exhausting to be so irrational.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 10:44 pm

Not caring about anything , least favourite autistic trait ? Not caring about anything !

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm

IstominFan wrote:
Good factual memory

I hope you are vegan like myself anything else would make you a "compassionate carnivore" aka hypocrite . I am dumb founded by allegedly autistic people that "love " animals and still eat them , some of them seem " intelligent" so it seems....

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 11:09 pm

IstominFan wrote:
Good factual memory

Are we related by any chance?! !

NotSayingMyName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2018, 8:17 pm

Visual memory is something that I am outstanding with.
Thinking deeply and logically is another one as well.

NotSayingMyName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2018, 8:18 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
Not caring about anything , least favourite autistic trait ? Not caring about anything !

Better than caring too much and that is a weakness of mine...at times. :cry:

larsbnf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 May 2018, 5:21 pm

I really like having special interests. What I'm interested in changes over time but the passion I have for it is always the same.