Page 4 of 59 [ 942 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 59  Next

glebel1
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2018, 4:45 pm

About a trade war happening, why are both the financial AND the agricultural markets up? There is nothing wrong with reciprical trade.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 5:40 pm

glebel1 wrote:
About a trade war happening, why are both the financial AND the agricultural markets up? There is nothing wrong with reciprical trade.

It depends on the product, and each product is it's own market when we're talking 'futures'. Example 1: soybeans are down 15% since the turn of the year due to possible retaliation in a trade war. Example 2: Wheat is up nearly 9% in the last two weeks due to an estimated poor harvest in Ukraine/Russia because of exceptionally dry weather there (scarcity raises prices). There is not an 'agriculture market', there's future markets for individual crops, because each crop is unique not only in how it's grown but also by the locations it's grown and the places it's eaten. Lumping it all together as 'agriculture' isn't really accurate and doesn't tell the whole tale, especially for farmers (we generally specialize in just one or two crops). I grow tomatoes and peppers, the price of wheat and soybeans have virtually no effect on my crops, therefore it's not part of my market. Tomatoes are up 2.5% from last year which is still horrible because it's the third straight year it hasn't kept up with inflation, peppers are down 2% mostly due to fears of NAFTA repeal. I sell locally, but I can't charge more than 5% more than a super market or people will just go there, so the international market affects me even though I don't sell internationally. Also if you're wondering why I charge more than a super market: unique genetics you can't find in a super market, and higher quality growing method (tomatoes are hydro, and the peppers are certified organic hydro).

Tomatoes have been a down market for three years and have nothing to with politics, but Trump's market uncertainty has hurt me on peppers, and in all honesty I will probably only break even with them this year. To me, it feels like Trump is picking winners and losers in this economy: steel's been dead for 40+ years, ag has been strong since the continent was opened to European colonists, so why on earth are why sacrificing our strongest economic markets to subsidize our weakest (almost non-existent) ones?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 5:45 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Trump seems a bit too fond of North Korea's Dictator....but that is not a suprise considering his love for Putin. He really has a thing for leaders of authoritarian countries doesn't he?

Weren’t you saying he was r few weeks ago when trump was responding with military threats?
Leaders have to play nice at such meetings for the press Obama would done the same thing. If anything Obama was more friendly and just have Kim whatever he wanted.

It’s all show at these meetings. Past presidents have meet with dictators and monsters too.

glebel1
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2018, 6:08 pm

There is indeed an agricultural market, and it is growing. Beef is up (in spite of lack of pasturage in the Southern Plains), pork is up, 175,000 MT of soybeans from the coming harvest was sold in the export market yesterday and many other indicators are up. The main problem with American agriculture is lack of crop diversity and inefficient practices.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 6:18 pm

glebel1 wrote:
The main problem with American agriculture is lack of crop diversity and inefficient practices.

You have no idea what you're talking about, American agriculture ranks near the top of the list in EFFICIENT practices, and crop diversity is limited by growing conditions on a regional basis-- and for the record the U.S. grows about every fruit/vegetable crop it's many climates are able to handle. Read some economics, or learn about agricultural practices before spouting off about them.

glebel1
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2018, 6:56 pm

I apparently know far more about agriculture than you. I plant and manage apple orchards in the high desert of California, I dryland farm meadow triticale for hay on my own land, and I also advise people on planting their kitchen gardens in a VERY difficult climate. I also have a degree in agriculture and a lifetine of experience. The American model of farming is inefficient because of the lack of crop rotation and the planting of mass acres of the same crops, leading to endemic diseases and pest infestations.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 8:56 pm

How the left-wing FakeNewsMedia terrorizes people and whips up hysteria:

There Are Four Lights!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 4:46 am

Did Trump really just claim that during the 2016 election campaign he had parents of Korea war vets asked him to bring their childrens remains home???

can he go just 1 day without telling lies? :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 11:14 am

Depends on what you grow.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nyt ... d.amp.html
He doesn’t seem to be impressing anyone here if you read the comments.
https://m.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/arc ... nt-say-how

Sea Breeze
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jun 2018, 11:40 am

Trump is overly obsessed about in the media, or atleast was. There are actual problems in the world, but yet what's important to the media is s**t like Trump's golfing.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 12:03 pm

Darmok wrote:
The last positive Trump thread got shut down so it's time to create another! (Better than creating a hundred small threads to clog things up.)

As an important indication of progress toward peace with North Korea, three American citizens held prisoner in the North have now been released:

Trump greets Americans freed from North Korea

JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md. — Three Korean-Americans who were detained in North Korea for more than a year were greeted by President Donald Trump beneath a giant American flag after they returned to the mainland US early Thursday.

Despite a middle-of-the-night landing, first lady Melania Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and a host of senior administration officials joined Trump to celebrate the occasion. The men, Kim Dong Chul, Kim Hak Song and Tony Kim, had been released Wednesday amid a warming of relations between the longtime adversaries.

The president and first lady boarded the medical plane on which the men traveled to take a private moment with them, then appeared at the top of the airplane stairway with the three and applauded as the men held up their arms in what appeared to be gestures of triumph.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/trump-gre ... rth-korea/

No surprise, liberals just cannot stand the fact that he's getting things done...in spite of the worst DemocRATic obstructionism I've ever seen. Hopefully little Kim Dung...er, Jung....whatever.....is starting to understand that he can't push Trump around like he did that anti-American Kenyan squatter we had in the White House for far too long....

...Presuming you mean it, can you back up your stated belief in the birther Obama narrative?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Last edited by ASS-P on 14 Jun 2018, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 12:35 pm

glebel1 wrote:
I apparently know far more about agriculture than you. I plant and manage apple orchards in the high desert of California, I dryland farm meadow triticale for hay on my own land, and I also advise people on planting their kitchen gardens in a VERY difficult climate. I also have a degree in agriculture and a lifetine of experience. The American model of farming is inefficient because of the lack of crop rotation and the planting of mass acres of the same crops, leading to endemic diseases and pest infestations.

I highly doubt that if you believe agriculture is a single market it tells me you’ve never dealt with an exchange, meaning you’ve never sold a harvest.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 9:45 am

Early on in this last election I carefully read everyone’s platforms and chose two horses to have in the race based on what was important to me. I chose Bernie and Trump, because both opposed NAFTA and the other free trade schemes and had strong plans to revitalize America’s domestic production in ALL industries. Long ago, I worked for four years in the textile industry. Bill Clinton gave away my job and devastated the small town where I am from. I have since gotten several degrees and gotten much higher paying, more “respectable” jobs, but that factory job is still the best job I ever had.

I am so grateful to have been a part of that world. I’m excited that President Trump is fighting for domestic industry again.

In case some of you didn’t know, the United States is one of the few countries which can be nearly entirely self sufficient. We can grow almost anything here, we have our own oil, steel, a great variety of animals, lots of talented and strong people. Something that often gets forgotten is that we also have high quality standards. Which means that our cloth lasts longer, our steel is stronger, our dog food is human quality (no poisonous additives), our workers cannot be posed in uncomfortable positions or worked for too many hours. These kinds of things can make our products more expensive, but they also make them the best. Everyone in the world knows this. We really don’t have anything to worry about here.

And update: my Trump bibliography project has slowed because my ataxia (my neuro disease) has been worse lately and it’s been harder to read.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 10:01 am

SOA,

It isn't so much what he stands for that I object to (except for the way he trash-talks women and minorities) as the way he goes about getting things done.

Sure, he wants to re-organize the store, but does he have to be a bull in the china shop to do it?

-F-

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 8:42 pm

There Are Four Lights!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 8:48 pm

:lol: I was raised by a cancer researcher, that's quite a strawman you've got there.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: