Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 1:39 pm

Hi all. I'm making this post because I've realized that zombie movies raise more questions than they answer.

- What exactly is the pathogen which causes the zombie outbreak? Is it a literal virus?
- How come some people in those movies get bitten and then instantly become zombies? Shouldn't it take longer for a pathogen to spread throughout the body?
- How come so many zombies in modern zombie movies are "fast zombies"? I get that they are scarier, but they shouldn't be able to move to fast if they are biologically deteriorating.
- If a zombie's stomach rots away, will it still hunger?
- If a zombie's flesh completely rots away, does it become a spooky skeleton? How would a spooky skeleton be able to move at all?
- Can the zombie virus be transmitted by mosquito bites? Would this zombify the mosquitoes?
- Why do zombies only chase after humans? The humans in these movies are typically armed with guns. Why don't the zombies hunt animals in the woods?
- How come the zombies trip and fall so rarely?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 2:41 pm

8O Do you realise that Zombies are not real? :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 3:10 pm

In stark contrast to zombie movies "the Twilight Saga" is quite informative and educational!

For example...did you know that here in the United States vampires are NOT native to the country?

There was a time when we had warewolves but we didn't have vampires!

Apparently American warewolves are all First Nation. But the living dead are all White folks, and they all came over to America on boats from Europe, just like the living living White folks did!

I never knew that (never even thought about it before) until I saw "Breaking Dawn".

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 May 2018, 3:14 pm

BRAINS!! !! !! !!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 3:38 pm

Are mummy’s, zombies with no fashion sense?

Just a sewious question.

:D

AstroPi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2018, 4:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
For example...did you know that here in the United States vampires are NOT native to the country?

Of course, originally vampires came from Poland (and NOT from Transylvania, it was just Bram Stoker's idea for "Dracula") :P

Edit: I suspect Zombies also, the name probably stems from ząb - ząbi (it's tooth in english, that's why they bite)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 5:49 pm

AstroPi wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Of course, originally vampires came from Poland (and NOT from Transylvania, it was just Bram Stoker's idea for "Dracula") :P

Edit: I suspect Zombies also, the name probably stems from ząb - ząbi (it's tooth in english, that's why they bite)

Zombies were actually part of the belief system of Haitian Voodoo. So the word must come from the Haitian patois of French (the word might be either of French or of African origin).

There was a PBS show were they investigated Haitain zombies, and we viewers actually got to meet a supposed actual "zombie" in a village in rural Haiti.

The Twilight Saga sort of stumbles into accidental and unintentional social satire with its explanation of warewolves as being Native American, and vampires being European immigrants to America. They should have taken it further by having the vampires and warewolves suddenly unite...against the NEW wave of immigrants coming from south of the border. "Those damned zombies coming here from the Caribbean! We need to build a wall. And have the zombies PAY for it!".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 1:46 am

Hey folks, lets try to keep it serious.

AstroPi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2018, 3:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Zombies were actually part of the belief system of Haitian Voodoo. So the word must come from the Haitian patois of French (the word might be either of French or of African origin).

Sorry, the part about zombies I wrote as a joke. As for vampires, they have a lot of autistic traits, they won't go to the house unwelcomed, they avoid light, strong smells like garlic, etc. As for werewolves, they're just humans with rabies.

Less off-topic, I think it would be some prion disease, like mad cow disease or kuru. Some mutation could cause these prions to develop at much faster rate than normal. Mosquito bites could be dangerous also, prions can be transferred through blood and contact with infected equipment. Since it's cannibalistic in its origin, that would explain zombies attacking only humans.

As for the last question, it's probably due to misunderstanding, it's a feature of zumbies not zombies ;)

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 8:30 am

The world needs less movies about zombies, and more movies about rogue robots.

Robots are scarier than zombies because they are actually stronger and smarter than people. They also represent man's hubristic misuse of artifice, which is a very real issue in the modern world.

A movie about rogue robots would be harder to make ... except that CGI is pretty much ubiquitous nowadays.

Zombies are a relic of the olden days, when everything had to be done with costumes.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2018, 9:59 am

The one thing that bugs me the most of all zombie movies and tv shows is why they never never have zombie animals!! !???

It really frustrates me. If there is a virus, then surely it would affect other living creatures as well, not just humans? And if it doesn't at first, then a virus being a virus would mutate in order to infect other species.

I have also often wondered that the zombies desire for living flesh is to keep it's current 'form' alive (in a sense) do they require the need for a stomach? Or would it just be that living cells and micro-organisms of what they eat is immediately absorbed by their decaying flesh to replace the dead cells ect and if this is viable that it works this way?

If zombies do have to digest what they eat... then does that mean they have to do toilet too?

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

AstroPi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2018, 2:24 pm

jon85 wrote:
The one thing that bugs me the most of all zombie movies and tv shows is why they never never have zombie animals!! !???

It really frustrates me. If there is a virus, then surely it would affect other living creatures as well, not just humans? And if it doesn't at first, then a virus being a virus would mutate in order to infect other species.

Even if this virus could infect other species, it doesn't mean it would have the same effects. Like HIV, it's harmless for monkeys, and deadly for us.

Quote:
I have also often wondered that the zombies desire for living flesh is to keep it's current 'form' alive (in a sense) do they require the need for a stomach? Or would it just be that living cells and micro-organisms of what they eat is immediately absorbed by their decaying flesh to replace the dead cells ect and if this is viable that it works this way?

Even if they attack and bite, it doesn't mean they desire living flesh, this behaviour just helps spreading the pathogen and would be induced by it. Zombies would be able to live without food for a long time, they have no fully functioning brain that consumes the biggest amounts of energy, so we can safely assume they can live for more than two months without any food. It means they don't have to go to the toilet, unless they have to go there to find some humans ;)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 3:23 pm

The supposed reason Egyptian mummies can't be reanimated is because their brains were removed from their skulls and thrown away, and zombies can only really be killed if you decapitate them or destroy their brain. But how can they still walk and eat and make sounds if their intelligence is now reduced to almost nothing?

The belief that the dead can come back to life may have started in times of plague many years ago. People were hastily digging mass graves to bury people dead from the plague as quickly as possible, but some of the of victims may not have actually died yet. And then shortly after they were buried they managed to escape from their graves and stumble back towards their village, ragged and dirty and delirious with fever, which made other people think they were the undead! :skull:

Anyway, many diseases or disorders and drugs addictions can make people act zombie-like.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 5:14 pm

AstroPi wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Sorry, the part about zombies I wrote as a joke. As for vampires, they have a lot of autistic traits, they won't go to the house unwelcomed, they avoid light, strong smells like garlic, etc. ;)

Funny that you mention that because that's another frustration I have with watching the Twilight Saga. It almost seems symbolic of something, but doesn't follow through with the symbolism.

As I mentioned above they could have gone one way, and made it a comic social satire about America's immigration issues.

Or

They could go another way, and keep as a romantic drama, but make it a symbolic parable about neurodiversity.

Bella Swan could be a girl who has a thing for misunderstood guys. One of her two rival boyfriends (the American Indian Warewolf) is CLEARY a textbook AHDH person. But the main boyfriend is that wasp vampire guy. He has traits that are actually vaguely aspergian. So if they had just gone further and made him as clearly aspergian as the other guy is adhd then... the story could by symbolic of two misfit guys - one adhd and one aspie competing for the same girl. So it stays a fantasy but is tethered to reality in a more meaningful way. At least for me, a male viewer.

About the other thing. Yes. Have often speculated that both vampire folklore, and warewolf, folklore was inspired by by actual rabies epidemics in ancient times. Humans contacting rabies, and trying to bite others to spread the disease.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 5:47 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Hi all. I'm making this post because I've realized that zombie movies raise more questions than they answer.

- What exactly is the pathogen which causes the zombie outbreak? Is it a literal virus?
- How come some people in those movies get bitten and then instantly become zombies? Shouldn't it take longer for a pathogen to spread throughout the body?
- How come so many zombies in modern zombie movies are "fast zombies"? I get that they are scarier, but they shouldn't be able to move to fast if they are biologically deteriorating.
- If a zombie's stomach rots away, will it still hunger?
- If a zombie's flesh completely rots away, does it become a spooky skeleton? How would a spooky skeleton be able to move at all?
- Can the zombie virus be transmitted by mosquito bites? Would this zombify the mosquitoes?
- Why do zombies only chase after humans? The humans in these movies are typically armed with guns. Why don't the zombies hunt animals in the woods?
- How come the zombies trip and fall so rarely?

A zombie outbreak would be over before it started. There are many reasons. First, they are DEAD. In any place where the weather is hot, they wouldn't last a day. Maggots and fungus and other organisms that eat the dead would have them in a second. Second, zombies, at least in most of the myths, must eat people and bite people to make more zombies. People are the most dangerous animals ever to evolve. Its like if you had to attack a T Rex every time you wanted to have a baby or make a sandwich. Dead organic flesh cant take heat or cold, for that matter. Zombies cant use weapons, or strategy, or flanking attacks, or any of that.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 6:00 pm

jon85 wrote:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard