I really dont like people sometimes

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2018, 5:29 pm

Everyday I have to deal with Ableist people who dont think I can do anything.

I have had people assume I was non verbal because I wasnt talking and then they ask my cousin or sister questions about me like I am not there. It angers me.

I have also had people tell me that certain classes such as AP English were too hard. I passed with high marks. Then people say the only reason I passed is because I had extra support.

It also seems like not many people understand that I require patience and clear instructions. Some people have decided to not explain things to me because I wouldnt understand it.

Also I have overheard parents talking about me (at. siblings sport events) saying things like "I feel bad for his parents, hes 18 but really immature" This is annoying. I had a meltdown at my sisters softball game and they said that. I also hate it when I overhear people saying they are glad their son isnt like me. Im alternative and eccentric according to a lot of people. I never try to say mean things about them. I have even heard people using the words "ret*d", "Special needs","Stupid", "Dumb", "Incapable" "Slowmind" "Spaz"and "Crazy" used to describe me at certain moments. This upsets me

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2018, 5:59 pm

Ilikemusic wrote:
Everyday I have to deal with Ableist people who dont think I can do anything.
I have had people assume I was non verbal because I wasnt talking and then they ask my cousin or sister questions about me like I am not there. It angers me.
I have also had people tell me that certain classes such as AP English were too hard. I passed with high marks. Then people say the only reason I passed is because I had extra support.
It also seems like not many people understand that I require patience and clear instructions. Some people have decided to not explain things to me because I wouldnt understand it.
Also I have overheard parents talking about me (at. siblings sport events) saying things like "I feel bad for his parents, hes 18 but really immature" This is annoying. I had a meltdown at my sisters softball game and they said that. I also hate it when I overhear people saying they are glad their son isnt like me. Im alternative and eccentric according to a lot of people. I never try to say mean things about them. I have even heard people using the words "ret*d", "Special needs","Stupid", "Dumb", "Incapable" "Slowmind" "Spaz"and "Crazy" used to describe me at certain moments. This upsets me

A very interesting post ... I have more to say regarding what you have written .... for now I shall sleep as it is way past my bedtime in Australia.
Much love ........... Bob

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 3:33 pm

Interesting post, indeed.

Some people make very poor assumptions. Back when I was about your age, a high school friend and coworker asked me what was "wrong," with my friend Mark. She assumed that he had some sort of mental disability due to the sound of his voice. This really pissed me off because he's a wicked smart dude (and VERY successful now! He has more than a dozen full time employees at his business!) and the reason his voice sounds different is because he's deaf, not because he's "ret*d."

Hell, I'm the one who's ret*d. I wouldn't even learn it for another 12 years after that. FYI "ret*d," was what they called all mentally handicapped/autistic people in the 1950's. Once diagnoses were differentiated and given different names like Autism and Asperger's Syndrome etc "ret*d," became an offensive word to use. It simply means "hindered," or "held back," and is still appropriate to use when talking about "retarding the timing of an engine," in mechanical terms.

Sometimes you just have to bite your tongue (not literally!) and not say anything and just let people be their ignorant selves. Other times you should speak up and say something, like "Um, excuse me? I'm right here. I can hear, think, and speak just fine." or "I earned that grade. My support worker didn't do my assignment/test for me." in order to educate people/shut them up.

I do understand how other parents could think things like "I feel bad for his parents," because let's be honest here.. they do - and they're glad they don't have to raise a child that's more difficult to raise. But it's HIGHLY inappropriate for them to say those things out loud in front of you or your family, and in those instances, if I were you or your family (or me & I was there) I would interject and say something like "Excuse me? Keep your inappropriate comments to yourself!" and embarrass the F out of them for being so incredibly rude. Maybe they'll learn a lesson about keeping their rude mouths shut. Or I might say something like "My control over my body and behaviours is not indicative of my level of intelligence. I couldn't think as slow as you if I tried!" That might really open up their eyes and make them think before they judge someone.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2018, 6:01 pm

Thank you, so much. That is super helpful. I feel much better. Sometimes it is super tiring to deal with people and I want to scream.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 6:23 pm

You, sir, are very welcome. I do what I can - even if it's just a few words on a forum.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 6:52 pm

If you got a 5 in AP English, you should get college credits in English.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2018, 9:04 pm

Ok

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 12:13 pm

You don't sound too happy about that.

If you can take AP courses in high school, you can certainly go to college.

There are people going to college who can barely read.

Is there anything that you want to major in in college---but people are telling you that you can't "handle" it because of your autism?

Many autistic people succeed with college----with and without accommodations.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 21 May 2018, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2018, 12:16 pm

Yeah. My social and emotional issues are in the way. I know I could go to college. But those cause issues

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 12:18 pm

That's why you have accommodations, and that's why there are special programs for autistic students in certain colleges.

There are not enough of these programs.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to be pushy. All I'm saying---is that there are no "absolutes" in the world.

If I went by the statistics, I'd still be living at home, and I'd still be a shut-in spending all my time on the computer.