Taxi card concession and should I ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2018, 5:14 pm

Hi, We live rural and 9 minutes to nearest suburb of town. We have NDIS so lots of funding and support therapies we travel to . My daughter is 21 and cant drive yet, she has some driving hours in her log book, but its going to take some time before she gets her driving license.

We are working with an OT and one thing to start is applying of a taxi concession card for travelling and giving her some independance.

My husband outright said no. Australia is very multicultural and we are not racist. But I am aware alot of indians have taxi jobs.

My husband says India treat women with very very little respect. The sexual assault rate of women is very high and I'm not sure, when these people make Australia there home, that mentality changes.

If my daughter is using a taxi there is quite some time that the travel is rural and now I feel she is not safe either.

This post really is not about whether I'm racist or not, its about the safety of my young female adult daughter, where upon glance anyone can tell she is a soft target by her physical demeanor, she looks insecure.

:scratch:

Am I crazy wanting to push through with this and just ,nah, I dont know what to do.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 7:13 am

Sure. Why not.

Almost all taxi drivers need to earn a living.

Sexual abuse will only land them in jail.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 10:20 pm

There's a lot of Indians at my work and none of them seem particularly sexist. They're generally good natured. The worst thing I can say about them is that some of them are workaholic.

As for Indian culture being sexist, which Indian culture? There are many Indian cultures. Heck, I've even seen Indians who had to talk to each other in English because they come from regions of India with completely different languages.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 10:43 am

You are right to be concerned. A taxi driver might be less inclined to commit a crime as he can be readily identified. You may travel with her several times with a particular driver and if you get to fell comfortable with him, you can limit her travel to just the driver.

A vulnerable daughter will be at risk on her own in or out of a taxi. You might want to invest in her skill development such as a women's self-defense class.