Why are anti-atheist stereotypes socially acceptable?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 4:17 am

Hi all. I'm making this thread because I'm angry at the society around me and I need an outlet.

Here's something that I've noticed: Anti-atheist stereotypes are very common in our world. It's perfectly fine for people to say "Atheists are a bunch of fat losers who live in their basements and don't know anything about the real world!" I've heard that sort of rhetoric a million times. The "neckbearded atheist brony" archetype is pretty much everywhere nowadays and everyone just accepts it.

… and yet it is considered "hate speech" if any religion (or any group of people in general) is stereotyped with the same harshness. Why?

There are some extreme fundamentalists who literally isolate themselves from the real world in order to avoid temptation. How come the "basement dwelling neckbeard" stereotype is never applied to them?

… and why do so many people stereotype atheists as misogynistic? I've noticed that, nowadays, it is politically incorrect to stereotype any religion as being misogynistic … but accusing the atheist community, as a whole, of misogyny is still totally acceptable.

In the past, I was afraid to ask all of these questions because I knew that people would accuse me of "hypersensitive whining" … but I'm not afraid anymore. I don't care if I sound whiny. I need answers.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 5:08 am

I think its just an American thing, I think it was during the cold war the US played up the atheism of the soviets because people are more willing to go to war and die for religion than freedom.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 6:37 am

Never heard ANY of those stereotypes before.

I think that you spend too much time on U Tube (coming from UTube junkie like me that's saying something! lol!).

Basically EVERYONE on the Net is certain that EVERYONE on the Net who disagrees with them has to be a "fat neckbearded loser who lives in their parents' basement and has nothing better to do than troll me on the web!". :lol:

Back in the pre internet 80's a friend quipped that "atheists are stern, and have no sense of humor". That's about the only stereotype I have ever run across about atheists. Not saying its true. Just that one person thought that.

Sea Breeze
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2018, 7:04 am

They are? I don't know but if they are it's probably because of the "you're attacking my beliefs" fallacy. Since religion represents a belief in something wheras atheism is just a lack of belief in a god or gods, the prescence of this fallacy could make it socially unacceptable to criticize religion while criticizing atheism is fine.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 8:39 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Why are anti-atheist stereotypes socially acceptable?
For the same reason that Anti-Theist stereotypes are socially acceptable -- they provide ready-made 'packages' of ideas for people who either don't like to think, or who cannot be bothered with learning the truth.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 10:46 am

The biggest stereotype is that atheists have no morals.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 2:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I've never understood the people who think that altruism can never come from within.

Even in the days before secularism, there was the phrase "Look into you heart." On some level, the people of the past know that internal altruism was a thing.

A person with no internal altruism is a sociopath, and I've never heard of a sociopath who was tamed by religion.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 2:51 pm

The assumption that "holy" beliefs automatically cancel out character and moral faults is a very popular one with religious people. There is super abundant evidence to the contrary.

If there is a just, judgmental supreme being who weeds out the holier than thou pharisees, then some people are in for a big and possibly quite warm surprise.

APOM observed the stereotype which is a false depiction by holy rollers that athiests have no morals. The companion to that is the fatuous idea that saying "I am saved, I believe!! !" confers morality on a believers. Both are ridiculous assumptions blindfolded toward inconvenient evidence to the contrary.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 3:50 pm

B19 wrote:
The assumption that "holy" beliefs automatically cancel out character and moral faults is a very popular one with religious people. There is super abundant evidence to the contrary.

If there is a just, judgmental supreme being who weeds out the holier than thou pharisees, then some people are in for a big and possibly quite warm surprise.

APOM observed the stereotype which is a false depiction by holy rollers that athiests have no morals. The companion to that is the fatuous idea that saying "I am saved, I believe!! !" confers morality on a believers. Both are ridiculous assumptions blindfolded toward inconvenient evidence to the contrary.
Something else to add to this...

There is the heart-felt belief among many Christians that being "Born Again" means that whatever sin they commit is not counted against them, especially if they commit that particular sin in God's name. Adjunct to this is the belief that being "Born Again" means that they can deny their past sins as if they had never happened.

I guess this is the 'logic' behind many conversions of penitentiary inmates.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 5:52 pm

I’ve seen the opposite more. Atheists claiming all Christians(cause it’s not political correct to attack Jews or Muslims) are just backwoods toothless idiot bigots.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 6:36 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Here's something that I've noticed: Anti-atheist stereotypes are very common in our world. It's perfectly fine for people to say "Atheists are a bunch of fat losers who live in their basements and don't know anything about the real world!" I've heard that sort of rhetoric a million times. The "neckbearded atheist brony" archetype is pretty much everywhere nowadays and everyone just accepts it.

This kind of claim is one I hear about criticizing anti-capitalists. It's not about atheism. Who has said this claim toward atheists?

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
… and yet it is considered "hate speech" if any religion (or any group of people in general) is stereotyped with the same harshness. Why?

This is an extraordinary claim. The only religion that is actually protected from "hate speech" in many parts of the world right now is Islam, but even that has more to do with a PC or doublespeak agenda.

Jews/Christians/even others aren't as "protected" from such, not as much in the western world at least.

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
… and why do so many people stereotype atheists as misogynistic? I've noticed that, nowadays, it is politically incorrect to stereotype any religion as being misogynistic … but accusing the atheist community, as a whole, of misogyny is still totally acceptable.

Once again, I don't believe such a ridiculous claim.

Daniel89 wrote:
I think its just an American thing, I think it was during the cold war the US played up the atheism of the soviets because people are more willing to go to war and die for religion than freedom.

I'll concede the playing up of atheism in the cold war, but let's also remember that America is a huge land and urban/suburban American life is quite different from rural-American life.

But I am still more likely to see harsh criticism of Christianity or general religion than non-theism. At least the part where I live, it's more from the national media. I don't live nearby to "atheist haven" in the US (I hear about certain places like the pacific northwest though). The only thing I've seen locally where I am is a Meetup page for an atheist/agnostics group.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:00 pm

Have you never noticed any of these stereotypes on Christians?

The racist/homophobic christian
The blowhard stalker like christian trying to get people to convert
the idiot romantic that knows nothing about the world
The fearful person that is to scared of death to accept the "truth"

I've been stereotyped as all four personally.

People just hate each other over everything. It isn't just one side trying to kill the other, it's a toned down civil war.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 4:00 am

Atheists aren't really a marginalized group. That doesn't make it right to discriminate against them though.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 11:59 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Hi all. I'm making this thread because I'm angry at the society around me and I need an outlet.

There are some extreme fundamentalists who literally isolate themselves from the real world in order to avoid temptation. How come the "basement dwelling neckbeard" stereotype is never applied to them?

In the past, I was afraid to ask all of these questions because I knew that people would accuse me of "hypersensitive whining" … but I'm not afraid anymore. I don't care if I sound whiny. I need answers.

It's a difficult situation. They think that atheists are pedantic complainers and you can't correct or complain about that without reinforcing their stereotype that atheists are pedantic complainers.

Think of these guys as trolls. If you react to their complaining about atheists, you're giving them the angry, emotional reaction they want. Don't feed the trolls. The best reaction may be no reaction.

Again, it's difficult because you can't exactly raise a complaint that they've insulted your sacred beliefs when you're defined by a lack of sacred beliefs. Maybe that's a good thing thing in a way.

Instead of arguing with these arrogant holier than thou types you can show them that you're too mature to get into petty arguments and that you have more constructive things to do with your time. After all, they believe they have all eternity so they have far more time to waste than you :wink:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 2:24 pm

Good news, less people are religious today than they were 50 years ago.

I've seen stereotypes on religious groups like Christians, Muslims, Catholics, Jevoha's Witness and I have seen stereotypes on athiesm. I don't know why it's more socially acceptable to bash athiesm than it is to bash religion.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 2:35 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Funny thing is I think it's religious people who have no morals. So, you are telling me is if you didn't have a religion, you you would be out causing harm to others?

This is for people who use religion to have morals. If you didn't have a religion, you would be a terrible person. I think you are terrible anyway but you use religion to guise it.

If someone's reason for doing nice things is to get things back in return from you, that makes me cringe because it tells me you were only doing it for yourself and to get what you want than because you just like being a helpful person.

If someone's reason for not robbing a bank is because of consequences or the fact they are afraid they will get caught just tells me they are concerned about themselves than about others and they only care about themselves and are selfish people.

That is how I view religion when it's used for morals.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.