Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 1:21 pm

I can name of a few many issues, such as gas prices going up, teenagers being more idiotic and rotten to people than ever, elementary school kids as young as seven years old, calling the other kids names that the older generation didn't use until they were at least in like eighth grade. We've got young children as young as 10 having sex. We've got the world putting stricter control policies on people; I hear there may be a law where you have to ask the government to be a parent; the law is primarily for mothers.

Can you think of any other issues?

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2018, 2:31 pm

Climate change will put an end to humanity within 30 years and Yoohoo Chocolate Drink is no longer available in my area.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 6:59 pm

at the end of the 14th century, the vatican was basically vegas, only without laws against paedophilia.
they then decided they needed a tough hardliner as a new pope, and elected a former pirate.
not to drain the swamp that was the vatican, but to take a firm stance against the other two popes, one in florence, and the other one ... I don't remember. possibly germany. anyway. this is actually true.

I think the world has seen wilder times, just with less people and no instagram, and they stayed the same kind of wild for centuries, not like today, where it's a different kind every other week yet somehow it's all the same mush, miraculously.

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 7:05 pm

Poor guy. :(

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 8:02 pm

A great deal is wrong. Leaders of multiple countries are acting like cult leaders and too many people are drinking their Kool Aid.

I can't stop thinking about Yeats' famous poem today about the dark beast slouching forward. I thought of it when I saw this terrible picture this morning:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44515123

The Hell being inflicted on children across the world by madmen and the casual acceptance of it by so many is a very dark augury for the combined future of the planet and the human race if it is not stopped soon by the sane and the humane.

Yeats' poem has been cited many many times in the past few years:
A 2016 analysis by Factiva showed that lines from the poem were quoted more often in the first seven months of 2016 than in any of the preceding 30 years. In the context of political turmoil after the Brexit referendum and Donald Trump's election, commentators repeatedly invoked its lines: "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."

Bullies of all stripes now feel empowered to unleash their cruelty without any official sanction and there are daily reports of the evidence that this is happening.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 8:21 pm

GuyInABlackSuit wrote:
I can name of a few many issues, such as gas prices going up, teenagers being more idiotic and rotten to people than ever.....

I've read quite a few articles about average IQ falling. An even more dramatic view is that evolution is going into reverse......

http://www.theweek.co.uk/94224/why-iq-l ... re-falling

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 9:24 pm

I think Bret Weinstein does a great job of covering how evolutionary psychology effects current social conditions. His big concern, which I think is rightfully the bulls-eye, is how we handle incentive structures and how those structures make or break societies. We're also struggling to drag genes into the future that tend us toward rather antisocial behavior when we aren't paying attention to ourselves.

I think my own biggest concerns is the likely wave of human cruelty, desperation, and violence that are likely to come with people being put out of work by automation and AI if we don't get some type of UBI in place.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 12:41 am

Humans run it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 1:47 am

^Top post in this thread for sure

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:31 am

Why is everyone piling on with woe in attempts to make this young person feel more alarmed?

Maybe everything is fine and will be better in the years to come. Go outside and take some deep breaths. Spend some time with your cat or dog. Watch your favorite TV show with a good snack. Start a book you hadn’t found time for. I, personally, think life is pretty great.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:34 am

Try living in the 1300's, around the time of the Black Death.....

Or even in the early 20th century in many places....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:38 am

My generation was raised on religion to prepare us for a technological world.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 8:55 am

If you're a Syrian refugee, there's lots wrong with the world. Then again, there are some optimistic Syrian refugees.

if you're an American with a cushy job, all's right with the world. Then again, there are some pessimistic upper middle-class Americans.

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2018, 10:16 am

"Evolution in reverse"

I think you're right on the money. We truly are slowly de-evolving, losing all masculine traits that we have had for thousands of years.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 11:09 am

^ :roll:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 12:31 pm

IMHO, human evolution has stagnated.

Here we are, after 12,000 years of civilization (since the latest Ice Age), and nothing to show for it but a global network full of cat videos and prons. We don't even have a lunar colony!

And where the feek is my flying car? My housebot? My holographic secretary?

Stupid "Jetsons", anyway...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.