Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

asperger101
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2018, 6:47 pm

I want to get rid of Facebook and switch to Bitmessage, I2P, Tor, XMPP/Jabber etc. but a lot of my buddies use Facebook as primary communication medium. They don't know even about GPG e-mail encryption and they don't want to use it. My friends also claim "Tor is illegal", "anonymity is for criminals", "they don't have anything to hide" etc. So, in that situation am I unable to get rid of Facebook and accounts from other spying social portals? I want to get rid of Facebook because I wanna more privacy and anonymity. I don't like publish myself in the Internet.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 8:31 pm

I'm afraid if a lot of your buddies use Facebook, you can either use it too or fall out of touch with those friends. But how MUCH you use it is up to you.

At the same time, if you go towards those other platforms, you will meet NEW friends through that.

So try to follow a middle course of using a little of this, a little of that, and see how things go.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 2:08 am

This might be a cliche answer but why not make a simple list of the pros and cons of keeping Facebook, it'll make the decision a little more easier to see possibly.

If you do end up keeping Facebook, that's fine, just don't post anything on it but use it strickly for communication with your friends. And about the privacy thing....we all better get used to the fact that we are being spyed on in one form or another and there's nothing we can do about it unfortunately. The only thing to do about that is just be aware that we have no privacy anymore and maybe to block it out so we don't think about it. Ok, enough of my rant