Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 8:25 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I am doing a traditional conservative synagogue at the moment but I am not telling anyone of them that I am autistic and nor am I telling them I am Messianic. Rather, I am going to services and then having lunches along with telling them where I work and what I do. That's it! No more having to explain me to anyone. After what happened at my last synagogue, I don't want to say anything to anyone.

That's a great idea to keep your disability to yourself. I never tell anyone about my disability. The way people treat me changes drastically when my disability is revealed.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 7:16 am

ladyelaine wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
I am doing a traditional conservative synagogue at the moment but I am not telling anyone of them that I am autistic and nor am I telling them I am Messianic. Rather, I am going to services and then having lunches along with telling them where I work and what I do. That's it! No more having to explain me to anyone. After what happened at my last synagogue, I don't want to say anything to anyone.

That's a great idea to keep your disability to yourself. I never tell anyone about my disability. The way people treat me changes drastically when my disability is revealed.

I figure it's better to build up some skills and carry around a portfolio and share that instead or show off my talents and especially when people see that I am "Weird." That way can learn about my talents before my autism.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

Summer, you are a believer in Jesus? Tread lightly. These kinda folks aren't keen on Christians infiltrating their organizations. Trust me.....I know.

However if you are wanting to convert....than that might be where you are at.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 5:36 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
ladyelaine wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:

I figure it's better to build up some skills and carry around a portfolio and share that instead or show off my talents and especially when people see that I am "Weird." That way can learn about my talents before my autism.

Same here. I try to use my talents to help people and get to know people. I try to have a good attitude about things and say thank you and show appreciation for people when they have my back. I have been able to use my talents this past week at work to get ready for the school year. I got a lot done this week. My coworkers are awesome and I have started to build friendships with a couple of them. I wish you luck with your synagogue.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 2:21 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Summer, you are a believer in Jesus? Tread lightly. These kinda folks aren't keen on Christians infiltrating their organizations. Trust me.....I know.

However if you are wanting to convert....than that might be where you are at.

Yes I do

The reform Jews are more accepting and seem to have a lot of interfaith philosophies. At present, I just tell people that I am a nontraditional Jew or rather that I am just Torah observant and they leave me alone.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 2:57 pm

I used to attend this church that was connected to a Christian school I taught at. After I was fired (for being an awkward and crap teacher), I fell out of love with not just that church, but all churches and haven't joined another one since. I attend once a year if I'm lucky, and that's enough for me. I listen to hymns on the radio, liturgies and sermons on Youtube, and I have dreams of one day starting a virtual online church. But enclosed roomful of people churches where everyone is happy all the time I don't think are really for me, much as I loved worshipping in them and still miss it.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 7:01 am

Right, the Reform crowd is quite liberal. But remember even with them, if you're born into a Jewish family...you're an outsider. I've been where you are now...when I was your age. Not trying to discourage you.