Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Penforpen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Oct 2018, 3:18 am

This a Radom off the wall link please amend if required

I have started to think that I have had a lot of hobbies of one sort or another over the years.

I wanted to see if anyone here also has a need to organise things with I guess meaning

I currently have three ongoing hobbies I used to have five others but these I have stopped or just
Run out of interest.

Can members tell me if having interests can are something that takes up huge amounts of time.

I currently have music,nature,art on my active list.

Past list historic computers and OS, writing equipment, pinball machine, woodwork RC, list to just some

:D

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 9:16 am

Reading
Writing
Tennis
Anything and everything relating to animals, particularly cats

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Oct 2018, 10:26 pm

Penforpen wrote:
Can members tell me if having interests can are something that takes up huge amounts of time.
Those of us on the spectrum tend to have special interests which are interests we get very absorbed in. For example we may only have one or a couple main interests that we spend most of our time indulging in when we can.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 11:11 pm

Long nature and sight seeing walks.
Also spend lots of time touring places on google earth.
Spend many hours playing an online role playing game.
Spend hours researching things.
Lots of reading and listening to music.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 11:22 pm

I have three lifelong obsessions which never stop, but on top of those I cycle through mini-obsessions for a month or two at a time. Some of the mini ones recur in patterns, but not necessarily.

It's a hallmark trait of ASD to hyper-focus on special interests, routines or repetitive behaviours.

(I'm due for a new mini-obsession any time now).

Penforpen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Oct 2018, 1:05 am

I can’t Thank everyone enough for the feedback on hobbies I also liked the reasons behind it
As I also wanted to try and understand why I may have a need for doing this,

My hobbies have become an obsession to the point where I need touch or include them every day and
needed to obtain more knowledge,

Do others here want to research their hobbies, my example is that I enjoy music but I am not just listening
I have understood the different types of era and are able to locate ways to trade and improve my I am told
Extensive knowledge and collection of music from 1964,1980 I have fixed on this time in history as it’s sound
Leaves me dreaming,

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

Yes, a lot of my time is spent researching and reading about my interests. Sometimes I read non-stop about 16 hours a day, for weeks at a time during a mini-obsession. So much for being part of the real world :heart: The research becomes augmentative. For example, I'll be obsessed with a novel and read all the academic criticism surrounding it, then I'll read five or six biographies about the author of the novel, then I'll read all the biographies about the biographers, then biographies about the editors, then books about the social history of the setting. I'll be like "OK, time to do something else", and the fuse blows out for a few weeks until I cycle again.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:56 am

Drawing
Animating
Growing plants
Cats
Nature
Mental disorders

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 9:53 am

Penforpen wrote:
Do others here want to research their hobbies...

Yes, very much...

- Walks in the countryside make me want to know the history of the places I visit, the biology of the animals and plants, how the ecosystems work, the geology of the landscape, etc.

- It's not enough to just take photographs; I have a need to understand the science behind the optics of lenses, how camera sensors/film work, history of different photographic styles, the most efficient ways to catalogue and categorise them, etc.

- I am never satisfied to just write a computer program which works; I always want to know the theory behind the algorithms, the science of the computer's technology, history of the programming language, etc.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 11:28 am

Researching history, watching documentaries, collecting vintage items, watching anime, and mostly listening to music from the 70's to the 90's.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on October 9, 2018)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Oct 2018, 1:40 pm

I spent alot more time indulging my interests than researching them unless they were supposed to involve research like mental illnesses. My current interests are my girlfriend & a celeb crush. My past interests have been things like watching TV, playing vid games, listening to music, & spending time on comp like posting on forums.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 4:13 pm

I like to walk/hike 5-10 km's, but that has been curtailed with a sore leg for now
Reading
Photography
Philately
Keeping track of numbers in various spreadsheets

I'll be glad when I can get back out hiking again.