Page 1 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

28 Oct 2018, 1:32 pm

My parents threaten to kick me out i i do not soon enough get a job. Because im 19 and they want me to move out, otherwise they just kick me on the streets. They think it is easy to get a job, and autism is no excuse for not finding a job. They think i use aautism as an excuse to be lazy. My question is how do i find a job, and keep a job if i have severe anxiety and depression? And on top of that autism? What should i do if my parents threaten to kick me out? They say homelessness will cure my laziness, thats why they do not care of i end up on tbe streets. They obvously believe in tough love. But how am i supposed to get a decent job without a decent education, because i dropped out of school? What can i do to not end up homeless and poor?

Last edited by Fos11 on 28 Oct 2018, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 1:39 pm

Fos11 wrote:
My parents threaten to kick me out i i do not soon enough get a job. Because im 19 and they want me to move out, otherwise they just kick me on the streets. They think it is easy to get a job, and autism is no excuse for not finding a job. They think i use aautism as an excuse to be lazy. My question is how do i find a job, and keep a job if i have severe anxiety and depression? And on top of that autism? What should i do if my parents threaten to kick me out? They say homelessness will cure my laziness, thats why they do not care of i end up on tbe streets. They obvously believe in tough love. But how am i supposed to get a decent job without a decent education, because i dropped out of school? What can i do to not end up homeless and poor?

Why don't you ask them if you can remain at home if you instead go back to school?

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

28 Oct 2018, 1:44 pm

Well it doesnt matter i know i will never be able to work, or even live independently.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 2:41 pm

Fos11 wrote:
Well it doesnt matter i know i will never be able to work, or even live independently.

The transition into adulthood can be difficult and overwhelming even for NTs, and are often even more so for people on the spectrum, but it is possible. You might benefit from some occupational therapy that teaches independent living skills and a sheltered work program just to better familiarize yourself with work environments. I think if your parents see some effort at more independence on your part they might be more willing to work with you and let you stay at home longer.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

28 Oct 2018, 2:55 pm

Well you cant live off these work programs, so what independence?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 5:15 pm

Fos11 wrote:
Well you cant live off these work programs, so what independence?

No you can't. But as I said, the purpose would be to familiarize yourself with work environments. Then you would move on to a higher paying job once you has more workplace navigation skills and confidence in yourself.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Oct 2018, 5:38 pm

I relate to parents threatening to kick you out cuz your not working. I have alot of disabilities besides autism & they are mental & physical disabilities. My mom threatened to kick me out a lot after I quit working even thou I was putting in apps at most any place I might could get to for any job I thought I might could do. My mom has said before that a parent's job is supposed to be done 1ce the kid is no longer in skewl. She felt I was being lazy & not trying to get a job but I really was & really wanting to work. I was a workaholic & I was working almost 60 hours a week(some weeks I actually did work at least 60) when I was employed & allowed to make overtime so I really don't believe I wasn't working cuz I was lazy. My mom also threatened to kick me out a lot as a kid & teen when I had bad meltdowns because of the stress of skewl & pressure of my mom being on my back about things. She never actually kicked me out thou. Perhaps it will be the same way with your parents Fos. If I'm wrong, Chronos might be rite that your parents won't kick you out if they see some progress from you. If you have diagnoses, you could try talking to voc rehab. It may help if your 1st job is a part time minimum wage job where you don't work many hours & the job isn't too difficult. It may need to be something where you can kind of ease/transition into working.

If you really can not handle having a job cuz of your issues, you might could get on SSI(assuming your in the US that is). Your parents may not kick you out if you have some income & are contributing to the household. If they really do or are really going to kick you out, you might could get in a subsidized housing program where your rent will be based off your income(you'd need some kind of income thou like from SSI & there are probably long waiting lists). That's kind of like the program my girlfriend is in cuz she's disabled too; that's why I was able to move out of my parents & live with her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MarryKate
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2018, 4:07 pm

Maybe they won’t kick you if you go back to school you can go to school online full time and maybe apply for a part time job?

Maybe you can find a desk job not too much interactions.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2018, 2:56 am

Desk Jobs need higher education right?

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2018, 4:02 am

I will probanly doe on the streets as a homeless bum in the future. The truth is, i have no future, no hope, and i know that my parents want me to get a job, but i just cant.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 7:31 am

What is your location? Are you in a small town or big city or at least near a city? Do you have a car and can you drive okay? Just thinking extreme worst case scenario, a car is shelter, especially if you live in the south. If you're in the north, that won't work long coming up on winter.

One of my first jobs was custodian on a night shift. The nice thing about nights if you can handle the hours is less people or sometimes no people to deal with. It helps to have a darkened area to sleep in or wear a sleep mask over your eyes.

You might also talk to local charity groups like the Salvation Army. I worked in one of their stores once and it was manageable even though retail kind of sucks.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 7:40 am

Restaurants often have jobs for people who are "different." While fast food places are normally pretty bad for those with autism, you may find something more suitable at a small independently owned restaurant. The routine of doing food preparation may suit some Aspies. For others, just getting away from customers is enough.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2018, 7:50 am

No i cant drive and i could not afford a car anyway. And even if i find some job i dont think the pay would be emough.

Lil_miss_lois
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2018, 7:58 am

If you get a job won't they let you stay at home? In the meantime, can you be doing the housework and getting dinner ready for them when they get home? ( I assume they work)
If you're not at school or work then you really should be contributing something to the household.
I don't know what the work availability is like near you. But I would expect there are jobs that are easy to get, it doesn't have to be something you envisage staying in, even if you hate it, just keep looking for something better.

You can't possibly expect to not work, go to school, or do anything for the rest of your life?

Autism makes stuff harder-not impossible.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 8:10 am

There aren't many people on the spectrum who are happy living at their parents home all by themselves with no social interaction. This is quite obvious is your visit the Love and Dating part of this web site (careful--it can be worse that Politics and Religion on this site!). Any job, even a volunteer one, can be helpful for social skills, should you ever decide that you want a romantic partner or new friend. I think many Aspies lose social skills if they don't practice. They aren't "hard wired" into your neurology.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2018, 8:32 am

Wow. That is a tough spot.

I'll give you the same advice I gave to someone else. Try finding free stuff at the dump and hawking it on ebay. It's not a great way to make a living, but if you're parents see you're trying then maybe they will be more forgiving. Alternatively, you can try to think of some other businesses you can start on the cheap.

It's not great advice, but it's what I got. Sorry bud.