Worldwide student strike over climate change

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 9:35 am

Global Climate Strike: Students around the world protest climate inaction

Quote:
It's the Global Climate Strike and students are walking out of classrooms in over 100 countries to protest climate inaction.

They say their governments have failed future generations by not cutting emissions and curbing global warming.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 9:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Global Climate Strike: Students around the world protest climate inaction
Quote:
It's the Global Climate Strike and students are walking out of classrooms in over 100 countries to protest climate inaction.

They say their governments have failed future generations by not cutting emissions and curbing global warming.

Hmmm, so their goal is to give up on education? Seems like it's not well thought out. I feel it has more to do with the teachers versus the students, it's not like children can understand something as complicated as climate research. It's just another low level tactic from the left to try to force action rather than debate.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 10:34 am

I heard something about it on the news. I didn't know it was worldwide though.

I hope they care about the climate and continue to care, and that they don't just see an easy way to skip boring school.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 11:16 am

'Please, take mah taxes and spend it on ideas that don't work and help the rich get richer'.

Stuff like this doesn't happen organically. If it did there would be worldwide strikes about Yemen.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 12:53 pm

You go, Students of the World!

The young people are the ones who are going to be stuck with a wrecked planet. If their elders won't fix it, they have both the right and the obligation to take action.

Anyone who thinks students cannot effect change, never lived in the Vietnam era in America.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 1:03 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

The young people are the ones who are going to be stuck with a wrecked planet. If their elders won't fix it, they have both the right and the obligation to take action.

Anyone who thinks students cannot effect change, never lived in the Vietnam era in America.

I don't really care to much for that argument because it takes away from the fact that people are trying to do something about it. Which shows the ignorance of students, protesting something they are basically ignorant of, and like I said, more than likely it is completely driven by the adults, not the children.

If teachers started teaching kids that we in the US should convert into a communist system and to start protesting in order to achieve it, would that insist that, good for them, we really need communism?

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 7:40 pm

How dare we teach kids to want to protect the earth because it's their future at stake! That's so wrong-headed, ain't it?

:lol:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 7:43 pm

Crimadella wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

I don't really care to much for that argument because it takes away from the fact that people are trying to do something about it. Which shows the ignorance of students, protesting something they are basically ignorant of, and like I said, more than likely it is completely driven by the adults, not the children.

If teachers started teaching kids that we in the US should convert into a communist system and to start protesting in order to achieve it, would that insist that, good for them, we really need communism?

Heatstroke does not care if you are a capitalist.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 8:08 pm

"Here's what that agenda includes for kids in the US, according to the Youth Climate Strike website:

a national embrace of the Green New Deal"

It seems that this is what's it's mainly about.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 8:58 pm

Crimadella wrote:
Hmmm, so their goal is to give up on education? Seems like it's not well thought out..

Taking one day to protest is hardly going to make any dent to their education...kind of exaggerating the impact

Crimadella wrote:

Going hysterical? the teachers had nothing to do with student protests, this started as a social media campaign no different from the "earth hour" campaign which successfully convinced millions to switch of lights for one hour.

As one child eloquently put it...we are the ones who inherit the mess from the current generation. Another child made the point that with a rise of 3 degrees there may not be a world to inherit for her or her children.

These issues don't interest old men in boardrooms who know they will be long dead by the time global temperatures reach risky levels and (yes) they dump it on the next generation. The kids have every right to ask governments to do something now to avoid this dark future.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 1:33 am

If teachers were teaching unwanted facts regarding 'climate science' they'd lose their jobs.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 1:42 am

JohnPowell wrote:
If teachers were teaching unwanted facts regarding 'climate science' they'd lose their jobs.

unwanted?

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2019, 2:17 am

Yep

Dr.Dale
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2019, 4:58 am

According to 350.org there was 1.4 million students on school strike yesterday.
At 2083 places in 125 countries on all continents.

#fridaysforfuture #schoolstrike4climate

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2019, 1:23 pm

I wonder how many of these students support nuclear power.

If they don't, they're part of the problem.

Edit:

Anti-nuclear movement is funded in part by the fossil fuel industry.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilvers ... ff0fe47453

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 3:18 am

JohnPowell wrote:

And what are those unwanted "facts"? Facts so far overwhelmingly support the idea of a warming Earth.