Masking(acting) to the point I don't know myself

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 9:41 pm

Magna wrote:
OP. You're not alone. When you mask throughout your life out of necessity, ie being someone that others want you to be or that you think others want you to be and you do this all the time, where is your real self? Do you even have one? Do you even have an individual personality at all or are you just a patchwork of superficial "masks" with nothing real? In a sense, are you an automaton?

Those are all thoughts that I've had about myself. The scariest of which, at times has been wondering if I missed the opportunity to even form a personality and having stark feelings that I was devoid of anything real.

There are a smaller number of us who are over age 40 on WP but many of them, myself included seem to reach a point where we burn out. My burnout was gradual over a period of about a decade. Like Isabella, I also draw on my past (childhood) to a time when I was very happy in my own world and those memories help me realize that of course I have my own personality. It's there. I'm an archaeologist now, chipping away at the many years be being who I'm not. It's helped that I'm at a point in my life where I don't have to "mask" (nearly as much) to get ahead in my career. Like Isabella, I'm also at a point in my life where I really don't care what anyone thinks of me. I gave enough in my life in that regard.

I call it cleaning out the attic...
So many here seem to have a very similar experience, as I had, of ontological insecurity...

Quote:
Ontological insecurity refers, in an existential sense, to a person's sense of “being” in the world. An ontologically insecure person does not accept at a fundamental level the reality or existence of things, themselves, and others. In contrast, the ontologically secure person has a stable and unquestioned sense of self and of his or her place in the world in relation to other people and objects. http://sk.sagepub.com/reference/identity/n175.xml

I personally believe the disconnect some of us have with social reality and ourselves <sic> is due to our being conditioned/brainwashed into accepting a "neurotypical social operating system" as children rather than an inherent/organic autistic mindset...
Trying to be something/k we are not cripples the self-actualisation process, which is probably part of the reason for our general developmental delay...
I am talking from experience here...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 9:52 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Impressive, though I appreciate you are using hyperbole...

An Aspies brain is wired differently. We have more interconnects. In a sense we operate using parallel communications where an NT uses serial communications.

I am typically erratic in my thinking due to our autistic executive functioning disorder, but I have noticed I seem to make connections (between intellectual constructs) that many other people miss...

I believe most autistic people would fail/do-poorly at sequencing tests...
I did when I went to have a psych test done via a registered psychologist...

So yes...
I agree...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 10:01 pm

starcats wrote:
magz wrote:
Two years of therapy later, I can notice my own feelings if I pay attention.

Ah, this just made me realize something. I am always confused when people say autistics have a low EQ like Pepe just put a few comments before. Reading that, I thought no, I am hyper empathetic. Of other people. But I never actually think about how I feel for myself. I need to do this ^ a whole lot more.

Perhaps you are on the rim of the bell curve...<shrug>
I have absolutely no problem looking into someone's eyes...
We are all on a spectrum...

Quote:
Emotional difficulties – Children with autism spectrum disorders may have difficulty regulating their emotions or expressing them appropriately. https://www.helpguide.org/articles/auti ... rders.htm/

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2019, 10:04 pm

starcats wrote:
magz wrote:

Ah, this just made me realize something. I am always confused when people say autistics have a low EQ like Pepe just put a few comments before. Reading that, I thought no, I am hyper empathetic. Of other people. But I never actually think about how I feel for myself. I need to do this ^ a whole lot more.

I just realized the same thing a few weeks back. My therapist stopped me while I was talking and asked how I was feeling...and I couldn't tell her. I can usually tell "good" from "bad," but sometimes no more than that. I'm good at written tests listing symptoms of a feeling (i.e. red face, quick breathing, etc is "angry"), but I'm bad at identifying those symptoms in myself.

I think I learned to ignore my feelings so often, because I had to "push through" feeling uncomfortable or bad to do what was expected of me. And I often had to limit what I did like to do because it wasn't socially appropriate...reading a book or hiding in an empty room with the dog instead of talking to people at a social event stops being cute at a certain age, unfortunatel. I think I have become so used to ignoring how I feel and just doing what logically produces the best outcome (for others/their view of me/how I am treated) that I have lost touch with the skill of easily identifying emotions in myself, if I had a good grasp on it in the first place.

So maybe that is a good step toward "unmasking." Learn to ID my emotions better so I can identify how different behaviors and activities are making me feel. Because logically, it would make sense for the "real me" activities and behaviors to make me feel better, and any harmful masking to make me feel worse.

Not sure if that was helpful to anyone else, but I am feeling more motivated to work on identifying my emotions now. When my therapist first brought it up, I really wasn't sure I saw the point.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Apr 2019, 5:24 am

PoseyBuster88 wrote:
starcats wrote:
magz wrote:

I just realized the same thing a few weeks back. My therapist stopped me while I was talking and asked how I was feeling...and I couldn't tell her. I can usually tell "good" from "bad," but sometimes no more than that. I'm good at written tests listing symptoms of a feeling (i.e. red face, quick breathing, etc is "angry"), but I'm bad at identifying those symptoms in myself.
My therapist does it all the time. Anything I tell her, she asks how I feel about it. I try to be as honest as possible, so "I don't know" is quite a frequent response. But it makes me pay attention to what I might be possibly feeling.

PoseyBuster88 wrote:
I think I learned to ignore my feelings so often, because I had to "push through" feeling uncomfortable or bad to do what was expected of me. And I often had to limit what I did like to do because it wasn't socially appropriate...reading a book or hiding in an empty room with the dog instead of talking to people at a social event stops being cute at a certain age, unfortunatel. I think I have become so used to ignoring how I feel and just doing what logically produces the best outcome (for others/their view of me/how I am treated) that I have lost touch with the skill of easily identifying emotions in myself, if I had a good grasp on it in the first place.
While being introverted and preference for reading a book over talking to people seems more accepted in my culture, the rest is exactly like in my case. I've learned to ignore my discomforts and feelings, and do what the logic dictates for desired ourcomes.
Not bad in short term emergencies but damaging if done all the time.

PoseyBuster88 wrote:
So maybe that is a good step toward "unmasking." Learn to ID my emotions better so I can identify how different behaviors and activities are making me feel. Because logically, it would make sense for the "real me" activities and behaviors to make me feel better, and any harmful masking to make me feel worse.

Not sure if that was helpful to anyone else, but I am feeling more motivated to work on identifying my emotions now. When my therapist first brought it up, I really wasn't sure I saw the point.

Good luck :) We are together on this :)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 7:49 pm

PoseyBuster88 wrote:

This is so me.

I need to work on identifying my own emotions because I know I overly people-please, then I don't consider how I feel and it's a great set up for abusive relationships. I'd like to be done with those.

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2019, 9:37 pm

starcats wrote:

I need to work on identifying my own emotions because I know I overly people-please, then I don't consider how I feel and it's a great set up for abusive relationships. I'd like to be done with those.

A tool that has really helped me identify if someone's behavior is okay is to ask myself if I would be embarrassed to tell other people exactly how that person treated me in a given situation. If so, it was most likely NOT okay behavior. Normal disagreements/arguments aren't embarrassing to share with others, except maybe if the reason/topic of the fight was dumb. If it would be humiliating to tell the story of how a fight went down, it wasn't okay and that person should probably be avoided in the future.

I hope how I explained that made sense. It has really helped me avoid bad relationships.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:13 pm

starcats wrote:

Emotions... :eew:
Who needs them... :roll:

<perseverative mode activated>

They are, after all, a relic of our more primitive stage of our evolutionary development...
The problem is, we have to manage them if we wish to avoid the consequences of mind/body dissociation...<shrug>

Quote:
Dissociation is a mental process where a person disconnects from their thoughts, feelings, memories or sense of identity. Dissociative disorders include dissociative amnesia, dissociative fugue, depersonalisation disorder and dissociative identity disorder. https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/hea ... -disorders

Interesting jibber jabber from me, but probably not as relevant to you here as "assertiveness training"...

Quote:
Assertiveness training is a form of behavior therapy designed to help people stand up for themselves—to empower themselves, in more contemporary terms.
Read more: http://www.minddisorders.com/A-Br/Asser ... z5ju46xmxJ

I gather you feel obliged to be "nice"?
Stop it!... :mrgreen:

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:25 pm

PoseyBuster88 wrote:
A tool that has really helped me identify if someone's behavior is okay is to ask myself if I would be embarrassed to tell other people exactly how that person treated me in a given situation. If so, it was most likely NOT okay behavior. Normal disagreements/arguments aren't embarrassing to share with others, except maybe if the reason/topic of the fight was dumb. If it would be humiliating to tell the story of how a fight went down, it wasn't okay and that person should probably be avoided in the future.

That is very helpful!

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 10:26 pm

Pepe wrote:
I gather you feel obliged to be "nice"?
Stop it!... :mrgreen:

Yep!

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2019, 11:34 pm

I have only recently come to the conclusion that I'm autistic, (although it seems as though everyone around me knew the whole time and just didn't tell me; they just snickered about how weird I was, pretty much right in front of me, but "behind my back" figuratively, but whatever, people are as*holes) so I've only discovered what "masking" is in the autistic world, and I realize that I do it, too. I'm never not masking. I am but a mask. And the only way I can deal with this issue without thinking I'm experiencing a severe psychotic break is by fully embracing. I see myself as a versatile, flexible being who can adapt to any situation, no matter how weird. It has helped me overcome social situations...to an extent. I still despise crowds with a passion. I hate them because I feel extra alone and trapped. But anyway, embrace the mask, and enjoy your talent. I think of acting as a hobby of mine that I have become extremely proficient in. Acting has allowed me to BS my way through countless jobs!
On a side note, masking makes me feel like a total, utter fraud. And this part of masking makes me feel very uneasy. I try to turn it into a positive thing, though, and I think of myself as a blank slate, a clean canvas, and I can start over anytime and anywhere I want. Life is an irreplaceable, inescapable gift.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 12:32 am

No good answers here, but I totally understand. My biggest realization is how much I have been governed and hindered by anxiety.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Apr 2019, 3:13 am

betty_ferret wrote:
I have only recently come to the conclusion that I'm autistic, (although it seems as though everyone around me knew the whole time and just didn't tell me; they just snickered about how weird I was, pretty much right in front of me, but "behind my back" figuratively, but whatever, people are as*holes) so I've only discovered what "masking" is in the autistic world, and I realize that I do it, too. I'm never not masking. I am but a mask. And the only way I can deal with this issue without thinking I'm experiencing a severe psychotic break is by fully embracing. I see myself as a versatile, flexible being who can adapt to any situation, no matter how weird. It has helped me overcome social situations...to an extent. I still despise crowds with a passion. I hate them because I feel extra alone and trapped. But anyway, embrace the mask, and enjoy your talent. I think of acting as a hobby of mine that I have become extremely proficient in. Acting has allowed me to BS my way through countless jobs!
On a side note, masking makes me feel like a total, utter fraud. And this part of masking makes me feel very uneasy. I try to turn it into a positive thing, though, and I think of myself as a blank slate, a clean canvas, and I can start over anytime and anywhere I want. Life is an irreplaceable, inescapable gift.

Be careful with embracing your mask.
It can lead to breakdown and burnout.
I hope you can avoid it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2019, 9:36 pm

Wow people. This thread is immense. So many times I think "If only they know the real me?" It is like I am a person within a person? It is as if I ask myself "Who am I?" and while I can describe what I do or what I am good at, I can't describe myself. It is like trying to answer "What is gravity?" where the majority of people answer by saying what it does, not what it is.
I am very much a natural introvert. However, in past jobs I have done I have to put on an extrovert mask. And at times I go into conquering mode to get things done. This gives me immense power but often ends after a few years or months in disaster. Disaster? Well, I get so, so tired and fatigued that I look for another job or I just make an excuse and quit. Yet at the start of that job I will be in a powerful conquering mode. Could it be all a mask and it is why I eventually burn out?
I can go on but it is way past my bedtime! Night people and thanks for bringing up this fascinating discussion.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jun 2019, 2:59 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Wow people. This thread is immense. So many times I think "If only they know the real me?" It is like I am a person within a person? It is as if I ask myself "Who am I?" and while I can describe what I do or what I am good at, I can't describe myself. It is like trying to answer "What is gravity?" where the majority of people answer by saying what it does, not what it is.

It was a revelation to me that other people really act naturally, not perform all the time.
Well, my mother also masks (though probably not autism) so this was the reality I grew up in.

Mountain Goat wrote:
I am very much a natural introvert. However, in past jobs I have done I have to put on an extrovert mask. And at times I go into conquering mode to get things done. This gives me immense power but often ends after a few years or months in disaster. Disaster? Well, I get so, so tired and fatigued that I look for another job or I just make an excuse and quit. Yet at the start of that job I will be in a powerful conquering mode. Could it be all a mask and it is why I eventually burn out?

I don't know but I have something similar. I live in four year cycles - two years of power, two years of burnout.
My psych told me to just adapt to it, make things done when the power is present, live off savings in burnout times.

Generally, I prefer starting things over finishing. I find finishing boring - unlike some people I know. I believe it's not a spectrum thing, it's just me.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 5:37 am

Starting and finishing. I am good at starting things and getting them to work, but then they sit there not quite finished for years! Once I am satisfied I am nearly finished I seem to then put it aside. It is really hard for me to finish something somehow... Not saying that I don't finish things. With bicycles, I tend to be all out or nothing in that once I start I go overboard in trying to fix every little thing before I am satisfied. I won't say too much, but where I used ro work I would do at least twice as much as anyone else... Far more then the customers paid for, but I didn't use parts. In other words, it was all mechanical adjustments. I excel at the fine details on the mechanical side, which made me really take well to wheel building, trueing and things like that.