3 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
2 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
1 (Not at all) 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 20

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 5:17 am

I couldn't think about how to format the poll so I just put 1-5. I think hearing your reasoning is more interesting.

I'm personally very patriotic but I won't be voting. I also seem to be a minority in holding this opinion at the moment, which is one reason why I am posting this.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 6:03 am

I'm personally very patriotic of my own heritage. But I don't like this country. Born and bred here but made to feel unwelcome from a fairly young age. And I've read the history books.

Best thing about the UK is beating the Nazis in world war two. That does make me proud.

So = 5 of one and 1 of the other I guess?

Things I love Ireland for:
1 The rebels are the good guys. Not always (blowing up pubs of civilians is bad) but generally
2 People survived the famine and Cromwell, amongst other things
3 Irish music whether folk music or pop music tends to be very good
4 Irish people and diaspora (especially in Scotland and to an extent England) tend to be stubborn and tough but not a***holes. And when not being provoked they tend to be nice people.
5 Irish accents are sexy
6 Irish literature is very good especially James Joyce
7 Ireland is a beautiful country to visit
8 Somehow Irish people look different to British people and it's attractive. It's there in diaspora too. I'm not into blokes but JFK had it.
9 You can go almost anywhere in the world (especially English speaking world) and find someone with Irish roots and bond with them.
10 It feels shallow to bring up but football... My team were established by an Irish man and unlike some others which also were, has never forgotten its roots.
11 The Irish language still continues and is more beautiful and poetic than the English one.

I've been told over the years to go back to Ireland, been called names over having Irish roots etc. So when I'm either over there or somewhere which has some sort of connection to there or where people have probably had similar experiences to me and come from the same background, I feel at home and comfortable.

Only time I wasn't very proud was my last town cos the Irish there were into things like getting in scraps over family names. It was embarrassing. One of them was still very sexy though...

I'm sure there are other things too.

Thing is 9 is so true I'm probably going to be resonating with a few Americans on here. Probably winding up a few native born Irish people too. So I'll tell the people in Ireland reading this - I'm not claiming to be Irish. I'm claiming to have Irish roots and to be proud of it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 6:37 am

It ain’t perfect. It f***s up sometimes.

I still love my country, the US. And I love most other countries, too.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 6:43 am

I am a resident and citizen of the USA and patriotism is a complicated subject here for a number of reasons.

There is disagreement as to who is a "real American". Some people believe the US is fundamentally a white Christian society so to them, patriotism means having a sense of dedication to "white Christian values."

Unlike almost every other country in the world, patriotism in the US is often equated with loyalty to the government. When the US government takes military action of any sort, outside the US, it can be considered unpatriotic to not fully support the aims of that action.

As for myself, I am proud of what the US has accomplished in terms of building a culture that has attracted people world-wide, but to me that means pride in what both white and non-white Americans have achieved and been recognized for over the course of our history. Nobody forced anybody in any country to become a passionate fan of rock, R&B, jazz, etc. or to fall in love with the works of Mark Twain or to binge-watch a TV program like True Detective, any more than they were forced to dedicate their lives to Russian ballet or Chinese calligraphy.

These accomplishments are what make me proud of my country.

OTOH I have no particular pride related to my ethnic heritage, to me this is also a reason to be a patriotic American.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 7:14 am

So-so. While I do stand for my country for ideals and virtue, but I do NOT support Donald "Chump" and his demands.

I'm thinking of that line from the Black Panther film:

-"So, you'll serve your country?"
-"No, I'm SAVING my country!"

RussoDario
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2019, 7:44 am

Now, I live in Italy, but I was born in Switzerland by Italian immigrants. I didn't feet to belong to a nation, to be a part of a national community, I never had a sense of belonging to Italy or Switzerland (I'm happy then these nation win some medal at sport championships, but It will not make a sense of pround of this), maybe I could be patriotic at level 3/4 to an European Federation, (I'm exremely pro-european), but I don't know.

I had ever have a sort disaffection toward Italy, but particulary in the last two years thanks to actual government's parties (expecially Lega), and action of a considerable part of population, make me to disaffection to this country (dissaffection, not hate, I want to specify this).

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 8:21 am

I love what my country was - not what it's become.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 12:21 pm

While I do support the US, I do NOT support our current president.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2019, 12:46 pm

1 (Not at all)

I find it difficult to accept the violence involved in sustaining a country.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Apr 2019, 12:59 pm

I voted two.

There's a lot I like about my various countries (England, Britain, and Europe), but I don't blindly support everything they do. I enjoy singing Three Lions but most patriotic songs leave me cold. I don't think any of my countries are inherently "superior" to other countries. I'm not ashamed of the wars we lost or proud of the wars we won. I am ashamed of the bad things we did and proud of the good we've done. While I do feel a sense of loyalty towards my countries, I have many moral priorities above patriotism.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 1:02 pm

I put myself at a 3. My reasoning.

I live in the U.S. and generally consider it the best place in the world to live. Obviously it is not perfect and has a lot of issues, but so does everywhere else. I think the U.S. constitution is one of the best conceived (if not THE best) government frameworks created.

I want good things to happen for my country. I want us to win at international sporting events like the Olympics or World Cup. I want us to prosper and continue our way of life.

The reason I do not list myself higher is: 1) I do not consider my country infallible, 2) I do not blindly support our international endeavors, 3) There is a lot of stupidity in our government and last but perhaps most importantly 4) I do not think we should force other countries to adopt our way of life.

eilishbillie987
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2019, 2:31 pm

how much would one conflate the concept of patriotism with the govenrment..

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 8:36 am

eilishbillie987 wrote:
How much would one conflate the concept of patriotism with the government?
Patriotism: A sense of personal identification with the country.
Nationalism: A sense of personal identification with the government.

Patriotism: Equality, Liberty, and Justice for All.
Nationalism: Equality, Liberty, and Justice for the Privileged Few.

Patriotism: Fighting Nazis.
Nationalism: Being Nazis.

Patriotism: Freedom of Press, Speech, and Peaceful Assembly.
Nationalism: Propaganda, Censorship, and Harassment.

Patriotism: Government by consent of the governed.
Nationalism: Government by force and decree of those who govern.

Patriotism: Hiring and promotion based solely on ability.
Nationalism: Hiring and promotion based on anything other than ability.

Patriotism: "My country, right or wrong!"
Nationalism: "My country; love it or leave it!"

Patriotism: Learning from our history and the history of others.
Nationalism: Teaching our version of history to others.

Patriotism: "My country can always do better."
Nationalism: "My country is already the best."

Patriotism: Pride in who you are.
Nationalism: Pride in who you are not.

Patriotism: Special concern for the well-being of the citizenry.
Nationalism: Special concern for the well-being of the leadership.

Patriotism: Upholding the right of others to disagree with authority.
Nationalism: Equating disagreement with treachery, disloyalty, and moral decay.

Patriotism: Willingness to sacrifice oneself to promote the country's good.
Nationalism: Willingness to sacrifice others to promote one's own self-interest.

Our country's problems aren't as much about Left vs. Right as they are about Patriotism vs. Nationalism.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 8:46 am

A true Patriot is a staunch critic any government which doesn't have his/her best interests at heart.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 8:48 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A true Patriot is a staunch critic any government which doesn't have his/her best interests at heart.
Which puts Trump and Obama into the same category.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 8:55 am

My point is....is that a True Patriot is critical of his/her country when need be.

A True Patriot loves the ideals with a country was founded (for the most part). And embraces citizenship in that country. But doesn't conclude that any Leader of that country is always right....and will open his/her mouth when need be. But will defend the fundamentals of the country, even when a leader is faulty.

The Articles of Confederation sucked----and the Founding Fathers knew they sucked---so they promulgated a Constitutional Convention, which led to our Constitution. Even amid all its faults, it is seen as being a virtually inviolate document by most people here. There has never been a transition in power via force. All our Presidents have been duly elected (though a few with controversy).

I'm not a great Obama fan---but I feel he was better than Trump. There are some things to criticize in all governments.