Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2019, 12:25 pm

I certainly think so. Atleast for me it is absolutely a disability. Especially in the more severe cases. I personally have a mild form of autism. I was diagnosed with aspergers. But even aspergers can be quite a hindrance. What do you think? Is autism for you personally a disability? Would you get rid of your autism if you could? Or atleast make it less severe? I certainly would want to get rid of my aspergers if that would be possible. Or do you think autism can be an advantage, if yes how so?

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 12:56 pm

I think it can be.

But I think mine would in a better society be accommodated. It gives me advantages as well as disadvantages.

However we don't live in a better society so it disables me from things like employment. Because the world is obsessed with things like interviews.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2019, 1:28 pm

Whats wrong with job interviews? I mean it is not that easy but doable.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 2:17 pm

I think it makes life more difficult, but depending on the severity can be overcomable. Decide for yourself whether that description qualifies as a disability.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 2:56 pm

I believe it is. Things that come naturally to other people are difficult for me, and it's really hard to fit into society with the way my brain works.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 3:00 pm

Fos11 wrote:
Whats wrong with job interviews? I mean it is not that easy but doable.

It wasn't for me.

I kept getting accepted for interviews but never got any jobs.

Presumably because I'm slow at speaking and saying the right thing or my body language was off or something.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2019, 3:07 pm

Not even low level jobs?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 3:13 pm

Dumb question.

Of course its a disability. It is a handicap. Doesn't mean that it cant be overcome. But it is something to overcome.

kayell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2019, 3:14 pm

I think that there are aspects and severity levels that can be disabling. (sometimes severely) I also believe that there are aspects that can be beneficial and enabling. IMO a lot depends on the individual persons luck of the genetic draw, and the family and culture they are raised in, including how much support or hindrance they experience.

Personally, I feel overall fortunate because of some intellectual and (mostly good) sensory luck. On the other hand, the bullying and social difficulties really sucked, as does the very bad psych help over the years. Depression, GAD, probable C-PTSD - those are disabling and probably significantly impacted by cultural crap related to my unknown ASD. (which if known in the 60's actually would have been very unlikely to have helped.)

Do I think that many, many autistic people should receive help for disabilities? Absolutely, just as I believe that all human beings should receive universal health care, including mental health care as needed. There needs to be a constant consideration of and provision for people's needs and improving their ability to become the best human they can be within their own standards.

More importantly even, is that our cultures need to evolve to help, comfort and accept human beings. We need to stop the nasty judgmentalism based on things people have no control over. This doesn't mean to accept and countenance harmful behavior towards others, but to do no harm and to actively do good.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

losingit1973
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2019, 3:28 pm

In this NT social dominated world, yes. Most people can not see past the social traits to see the real person below. They never see the passion for detail and loyalty because of eye contact issues. I have learned to use some of my traits to my advantage. I have excelled in my industry, largely due to the fact that that I often work alone. When I do work with people they have a hard time keeping up with my thought process. My employer knows of my kids diagnoses, and has made comments that makes me think he suspects it in me as well. He watches out for me and will lighten my load if he sees me getting stressed, and allows me to hone my skills as well as develop new ones. He often gets me involved in project design because I bring a "unique perspective". In the world view of rising through the ranks to executive positions, ASD is a disability for me. These positions seem to place more weight on social skills than real world experience. In my case, I do alright. I have a wife, 5 kids, a home, and a career that i enjoy. This does not come without struggles though. Some days are worse than others, and it seems that the bad ones are becoming more frequent.

AQ 42

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 1:40 am

I see autism as a social disability...
Always have...
Always will...

Executive function disorder is a biatch also...

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 2:24 am

Fos11 wrote:
Not even low level jobs?

Most of those require you have maths GCSE (shop work) - which means not being dyspraxic - or that you're not dyspraxic (manual labour).

Besides it's pretty patronising to someone with an MA to make them do low level jobs. So again, the autism would be disabling me into underemployment.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 7:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Dumb question.

Of course its a disability. It is a handicap. Doesn't mean that it cant be overcome. But it is something to overcome.

No, it's not a dumb question. Autusm can bring difficultis but also benefits. In my opinion, it's the way society is set up that makes autism a disability, not anything intrinsic to the condition. Many psychiatric professionals are of a similar opinion.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 7:18 am

My autism is a disability because it impaires and inhibits my ability to function on many levels. Society doesn't have anything to do with that.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 7:59 am

It's debatable whether I have ASD. It could just be dyspraxia. Having said that if it is ASD I would definitely say it has had a disabling effect on me. I don't function as well as the average person of my intelligence level does. I've read that the term used is 'adaptive functioning'. There are rather severe social interaction issues and my executive functioning is far from the best.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 12:15 pm

IMHO the difficulties of autistics are caused by a combination of misunderstandings/discrimination causing or Autistic strengths not to be realized and autism caused weaknesses. If it is a pure disability or pure difference it would be a lot more manageable and the community would not be nearly as split.

A lot of people blame the spectrum but a lot of conditions in life have a wide variety of severities without nearly the angry debates.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman